• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers number 4 stan lee and jack kirbys sigs on first page

25 posts in this topic

ok cool I was just guessing. So I guess its safe to assume unwitnessed signatures are considered damage to a book?

4 minutes ago, revat said:

yah, your take on how CGC treats the sig is wrong in thinking that they take the appearance of authenticity as a factor in grading. 

Of course, we all know there has never been a scandal or question with any duly deputized "witness". I'm sure the guys who used to be among the biggest witnesses and are no longer active all just retired after banking enough money.

Then again, I'm wondering if this whole Declaration of Independence thing should be reexamined since we have no way of telling who really signed it. 

2 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

ok cool I was just guessing. So I guess its safe to assume unwitnessed signatures are considered damage to a book?

No. CGC simply doesn't put their seal of approval on it. If I write Jack Kirby on the cover, it will be treated as if I wrote Hi Mom on the cover. Below a certain point, it's just writing on the cover and what is written is mostly meaningless. I don't know if the dozens of reputable authentication  services out there can work thru a CGC slab, but I trust them a lot more than some of the sleaze that organized signing sessions and tours. While some COAs aren't worth the ink used to make them, others are worth their weight in gold.

47 minutes ago, shadroch said:

No. CGC simply doesn't put their seal of approval on it. If I write Jack Kirby on the cover, it will be treated as if I wrote Hi Mom on the cover. Below a certain point, it's just writing on the cover and what is written is mostly meaningless. I don't know if the dozens of reputable authentication  services out there can work thru a CGC slab, but I trust them a lot more than some of the sleaze that organized signing sessions and tours. While some COAs aren't worth the ink used to make them, others are worth their weight in gold.

But isn't writing generally considered damage to the book as per my original reply I thought it would of been ignored and not taken into the grade consideration but Revat confirmed that I am incorrect in this thought.

I consider it damage, but CGC doesn't.  I had an Avengers 1 that someone wrote kids names over each of the characters on the cover. 

I thought it would get a 1.5. MCS called it a 2.0, but CGC graded it 4.0. I don't think many reputable dealers would try to sell that raw as a 4.0 

Item #22966713 Front Cover: Avengers #1 CGC 4.0

Edited by shadroch
photo added