When you collect but not for the reason everyone else is
2 2

43 posts in this topic

14,294 posts

just wondering if this happens to anyone else. I collect Marvel Value Stamps. I learned some time ago that there is color variants of the stamps so I have been collecting them. I am down to needing 2, one of which just happens to be in Giant Sized Fantastic Four #4. I dont care at all about some multiple man character i want the book for the stamp, but because the book is considered a key and i want to complete my collection i will have to shell out hundreds of dollars. 

Happen to anyone else? Collecting something but not for the reason everyone else is?

50,349 posts
6 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

just wondering if this happens to anyone else. I collect Marvel Value Stamps. I learned some time ago that there is color variants of the stamps so I have been collecting them. I am down to needing 2, one of which just happens to be in Giant Sized Fantastic Four #4. I dont care at all about some multiple man character i want the book for the stamp, but because the book is considered a key and i want to complete my collection i will have to shell out hundreds of dollars. 

Happen to anyone else? Collecting something but not for the reason everyone else is?

people used to sell piles of marvel value stamps on ebay.  I dont see anything currently.  Maybe they have become 'hot'.

2,637 posts
7 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Just checked feebay and there is a cheap GSFF#4 at MCS:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Giant-Size-Fantastic-Four-4-1975-FR-GD-1-5/312583379913?hash=item48c76bdbc9:g:CaUAAOSwKptcv7r3

16,375 posts

That's similar to what I go through as a run collector. One day, a complete drek book that I haven’t picked up yet zooms into the stratosphere due to movie hype. 

I didn't know GSFF #4 was still a thing; I thought it already blew over.

39,775 posts
2 minutes ago, bc said:

And the description seems to imply that the stamp hasn’t been cut out ^^

3,205 posts
7 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's an interesting one.

I'm collecting issue #666 of whichever titles exist, because I'm evil. Does that count..?

What's on your list? What do you have and what are you looking for?

3,205 posts
19 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Zatara fans feel your pain.

14,294 posts

well I collect the books not to cut out the stamp but to have it complete with stamp intact. I also collect F to VF. I swear GS Ff 4 was a 5 dollar book for ages. The movie the character was in wasn't that great either. Sigh...

8,018 posts
4 minutes ago, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

What's on your list? What do you have and what are you looking for?

I have Detective Comics, and Superman.

I should also note that I'm looking for already-CGC'd copies.

Action Comics will be difficult to find since there are only 2 on the census. I may have to put up a bounty.

69 posts
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

well I collect the books not to cut out the stamp but to have it complete with stamp intact. I also collect F to VF. I swear GS Ff 4 was a 5 dollar book for ages. The movie the character was in wasn't that great either. Sigh...

He was in a movie?.....and I'm not being a smart alec either. Was he in the horrible FF movie that no one saw?

Edited by Boric Gold

12,178 posts
29 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

That's an interesting one.

I'm collecting issue #666 of whichever titles exist, because I'm evil. Does that count..?

Including variants?  ASM's going to kill you. 

5,735 posts
41 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

Same problem for me with Archie's Madhouse 22. I enjoy robot covers but that issue is expensive because its the first appearance of Sabrina.

12,178 posts
41 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

....because the book is considered a key and i want to complete my collection i will have to shell out hundreds of dollars. 

Happen to anyone else? 

Yes. As a Spider-Man completist I had to buy Daredevil #1. That's the only reason that I bought it - Spidey's cover appearance. Spidey's meaningless, non story, non continuity cover appearance.

12,178 posts
4 minutes ago, Red84 said:

Same problem for me with Archie's Madhouse 22. I enjoy robot covers but that issue is expensive because its the first appearance of Sabrina.

Katy Keene #62 is quite pricey too. I'm after the pence copy.

14,294 posts
18 minutes ago, Boric Gold said:

He was in a movie?.....and I'm not being a smart alec either. Was he in the horrible FF movie that no one saw?

Yes he was in Xmen the last stand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7882XJ9t6Bg

28 posts

It's just nice to see someone collect because they're a fan! It's like when you go in and Comic Book Shop Owner doesn't want to give you the time of day. Until, you start letting the nerd out of it's box and then you make a buddy for life. Do your thing!

16,375 posts
47 minutes ago, Artboy99 said:

I just looked at completed ebay listings. There's plenty of recent ones that ended from $5 -$15, some for even less. I think you can find you grade range for cheap if you keep at it.

5,270 posts
1 hour ago, Artboy99 said:

This is the first thing that came to mind. lol