• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it bad form to ask a seller if a book is pressed in the For Sale area? Or keep question to PM?
3 3

96 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, BobBain said:

It is.  I'm not interested in the bs that other people might be.
Having a book pressed is no different than having it in a bag and board.  It's just another manner of preserving it.

So how would you answer the question when it was asked of you?

And if you think it’s no big deal then why not share the information?

Edited by Bird

There appears to be a growing community of people that are taking the position that rehydration, pressing and dry-cleaning are bad (I am not one of those people so please don't ask me to defend this position).  Insofar as some people in our community engage in strange shenanigans (lying, cheating, stealing, etc.), I imagine that there will be a group of people who will take this position so that they can secure books they can then improve and re-sell for more money.  That being said, I think it's a legitimate inquiry and that as these methods become more and more common, we will see them disclosed as a matter of transparency on sales threads.  However, I can generally tell if a book has defects that will press out.  It's harder for me to tell if something is a color rub or can be dry cleaned form a photo than I assume it is for others.  I imagine the real pros and pressing/cleaning can look at photos and tell what has or can be done effectively to a book.   

1 hour ago, Bird said:

So how would you answer the question when it was asked of you?

And if you think it’s no big deal then why not share the information?

He would respond, "I'm not interested in your bullsh*t?" from the sounds of it. 

As I said, noted. 

Edited by NoMan

1 hour ago, Nico Esq said:

There appears to be a growing community of people that are taking the position that rehydration, pressing and dry-cleaning are bad (I am not one of those people so please don't ask me to defend this position).  Insofar as some people in our community engage in strange shenanigans (lying, cheating, stealing, etc.), I imagine that there will be a group of people who will take this position so that they can secure books they can then improve and re-sell for more money.  That being said, I think it's a legitimate inquiry and that as these methods become more and more common, we will see them disclosed as a matter of transparency on sales threads.  However, I can generally tell if a book has defects that will press out.  It's harder for me to tell if something is a color rub or can be dry cleaned form a photo than I assume it is for others.  I imagine the real pros and pressing/cleaning can look at photos and tell what has or can be done effectively to a book.   

I guess there's distrust all around. "He's asking so he can get it pressed and make more money than me!"

Or I'd like to not have pressed books in my collection if I can help it cause I feel it's restoration. Just my opinion. It's close to impossible these days anyways to get HG raw keys cause everyone runs to press/slab em. Hell I just wanna read 'em in original form. 

13 minutes ago, Nico Esq said:

I agree with you. The inquiry about pressing, in today's marketplace, is probably asked to secure books they can then improve and re-sell for more money.