• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it bad form to ask a seller if a book is pressed in the For Sale area? Or keep question to PM?
3 3

96 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, newshane said:

I'm going to go ahead and assume that you would also hide color touch, ripped interior pages, cut coupons, married covers, and any number of other issues with a book. 

Congratulations on killing your reputation here on the boards. It didn't even take you 6 months. :golfclap:

Agree. It's pretty simple actually for me.  If i ask a seller a question( non-disparaging of course) and they take umbrage with the question or they don't answer, i go elsewhere. Money talks, BS walks. 

1 hour ago, Red_Hood said:
1 hour ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

Get off my lawn!!!:preach:

I've tried that already...  :sorry:

Still working on the second steaming load?  hm

There is nothing wrong with asking if a book was pressed. Why would a seller mind that question? 

I take it for granted that any raw book that is even a semi key for sale here by anyone that knows about pressing has been pressed. No need to ask.

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

My personal favorite is when people ask me if a book is pressed and I tell them that I purchased the book already slabbed.

Their follow up question?

”Do you think the book was pressed?”

🤦🏻‍♂️

Well...?

Do you?

7 hours ago, BobBain said:

If I were selling a book that had been pressed, I don't see any reason why I would tell you (even if you did ask).

It is.  I'm not interested in the bs that other people might be.
Having a book pressed is no different than having it in a bag and board.  It's just another manner of preserving it.

Wait so, if the potential buyer asked you if the book came bagged and boarded, you wouldn't tell him that either???

:whatthe:

10 minutes ago, jcjames said:

If I were selling a book that had been pressed, I don't see any reason why I would tell you (even if you did ask).

It is.  I'm not interested in the bs that other people might be.
Having a book pressed is no different than having it in a bag and board.  It's just another manner of preserving it.

Wait so, if the potential buyer asked you if the book came bagged and boarded, you wouldn't tell him that either???

:whatthe:

Yeah - you answer that, and then the next question is, "who did you lose your virginity to?" (shrug)

That is, if you've lost your virginity....,  (tsk)

34 minutes ago, eddly said:

Is it OK to ask if sellers read the book while eating or while on the toilet?

15 minutes ago, DavidTheDavid said:

Why would you want to know if he has read it or not? The fact that you're asking mid-poop doesn't mean much.

There should be a special sticker that goes on every comic read in the bathroom.  Man I miss Seinfeld.  

Asking / answering the question in a public format is entirely O.K. in my book. Any info around pressing should be made available IMO (even if it's a "I don't know if it was pressed answer").

While I don’t feel there’s anything to hide regarding a book’s press status (if I know it) I think I would prefer to be asked the question via PM. 

Only because I’ve had a couple of buyers on eBay who thought my feedback was an appropriate place to jump on their soapbox about a hobby peeve. I wouldn’t want to chance my sales thread being derailed by something similar.