• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this a damaged graded slab?

11 posts in this topic

I purchased my first CGC graded comic, Rai #0, and once I got it in hand it doesn't look right inside the slab.  I'm hoping you can tell me if this is damaged, or nothing to worry about.  Can't tell if moisture got into the slab or not.  You can see it in the center of the slab. Sorry not the best picture. Thanks for any help.

Rai0.jpg

Edited by Chief Jetski
misspelling

This might be a newton ring check out that forum and tilt the slab to see if you get a rainbow looking effect if so then its newton rings and there's a very long and indepth conversation on that section about it. 

(but to sum it up quickly and hastily) there is no moisture its the archival "bag" that the comic is sealed in touching the outer CGC case and creating a rainbow/oily/moisture looking optical view, people have suggested using a piece of board to separate the comic from the outer hard shell or air its just touching kind of works like a screen protector on your cellphone.

16 minutes ago, Krishosein said:

This might be a newton ring check out that forum and tilt the slab to see if you get a rainbow looking effect if so then its newton rings and there's a very long and indepth conversation on that section about it. 

(but to sum it up quickly and hastily) there is no moisture its the archival "bag" that the comic is sealed in touching the outer CGC case and creating a rainbow/oily/moisture looking optical view, people have suggested using a piece of board to separate the comic from the outer hard shell or air its just touching kind of works like a screen protector on your cellphone.

Exactly what I was thinking...

This just happened to me. Got my first graded book back from CGC only to pull it out of the box to see a huge oily blob right in the middle of the front cover. In desperation, I pushed on the area applying slight pressure with my thumb and like magic, the oily blob area disappeared! Give it a try but don't use much pressure.

1 hour ago, spiralizer1 said:

This just happened to me. Got my first graded book back from CGC only to pull it out of the box to see a huge oily blob right in the middle of the front cover. In desperation, I pushed on the area applying slight pressure with my thumb and like magic, the oily blob area disappeared! Give it a try but don't use much pressure.

This is referred to as the Newton Ring and there is a huge thread pinned to the top of this section or General Section about it you might want to give it a read as there is a lot of information in there about it. But according to CGC it is not moisture or oil but that the inner bag is touching the outer plastic creating this effect.