• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX 9.6 Avengers #4 - What Would CGC Do?
1 1

90 posts in this topic

I found this Avengers #4, PGX 9.6 that was signed by Stan Lee.  It feels like this would come back lower from CGC, but I wanted to see just how low, as it may still be a good deal (a local person is selling it for $4,000).

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

CGC won't verify the signature, so it will come back as a Green "Qualified" label. Or you may be able to talk to them and see if they'll treat the sig as a defect and give it a Blue "Universal" label, with the grade taking a hit due to the "writing on cover".

As it's a PGX book, I would be very concerned about undisclosed restoration, so, uh, proceed with lots of caution.

Also, that looks like some sort of foxing or staining on the lower back cover, so I have no idea how it would be a 9.6 in the first place, except, you know, PGX.

Edit: I see they refer to this as "minor dust shadow". Not sure how minor it is, or how that would be allowed on a 9.6. I'll let the savvier boardies correct me if I'm wrong to think CGC would hammer that in grading.

Edited by F For Fake

Obviously undisclosed restoration is a concern, but for some reason that I can't put my finger on, the front cover just doesn't look right. I honestly have no idea what it is.

If it's complete and not restored, I could see it getting a CGC 9.0, maybe. The foxing on back cover leads me to believe it wouldn't receive WHITE PQ from CGC as I suspect the pages have also aged to an extent.

$4k could be worth the gamble. I would personally crack it and bag/board if you go for it.

No way with that amount of foxing/stains, dust shadow or whatever else is going on there with the back cover would this book get a 9.6 from CGC. Plus there appear to be other defects on the front cover, but can't tell if it's scratches on the slab or scuffs or creases on the book itself.

If this is an LCS kinda thing, see if you can work out some sort of refund deal if CGC finds undisclosed restoration or something like that? Kind of a PITA that many dealers would probably never agree to, but worth a shot. Ultimately it's a $4K crapshoot with a PGX bow on it, so it really boils down to is how much does $4K mean to you? If it's no big deal give it a shot, just be prepared to join the very long line of "Burnt by PGX" sob stories.

Also, since this is PGX we are talking about, there is a very real possibility that this is a GRR with a price sticker added.

Edited by mackenzie999

3 minutes ago, mackenzie999 said:

If this is an LCS kinda thing, see if you can work out some sort of refund deal if CGC finds undisclosed restoration or something like that? Kind of a PITA that many dealers would probably never agree to, but worth a shot. Ultimately it's a $4K crapshoot with a PGX bow on it, so it really boils down to is how much does $4K mean to you? If it's no big deal give it a shot, just be prepared to join the very long line of "Burnt by PGX" sob stories.

Also, since this is PGX we are talking about, there is a very real possibility that this is a GRR with a price sticker added.

What is "GRR"?

5 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

What is "GRR"?

Golden Record Reprint. A few early Marvel keys were issued in book-and-record sets. The easiest way to distinguish them is there is no cover price. My comment about that was meant as a joke...mostly.

Other GRR's: Fantastic Four #1, Spidey #1, Journey into Mystery #83. These came out around 1966 I think, and are about the best reprints you can get as they are close to the age of the originals.

1235684007.jpg

Edited by mackenzie999

2 minutes ago, mackenzie999 said:

Golden Record Reprint. A few early Marvel keys were issued in book-and-record sets. The easiest way to distinguish them is there is no cover price. My comment about that was meant as a joke...mostly.

Other GRR's: Fantastic Four #1, Spidey #1, Journey into Mystery #83. These came out around 1966 I think, and are about the best reprints you can get as they are close to the age of the originals.

Now that I know what it means... Good one. lol

57 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

No way with that amount of foxing/stains, dust shadow or whatever else is going on there with the back cover would this book get a 9.6 from CGC. Plus there appear to be other defects on the front cover, but can't tell if it's scratches on the slab or scuffs or creases on the book itself.

+1.

If all of those white speckles and scuffs in the black area at the bottom left are on the book, as I suspect, and not on your camera lens or slab surface; if even 25% of the speckles and scuffs seen in your image are indeed on the book, then cross-submission is not viable. Also, by the look of the tan lines on the back, and how worse at the bottom edge, and by the speckles and scuffs on the front cover lower left black area, my guess is that the book has affected in that lower area by moisture infiltration.

Cracking this open would be ill-advised. I have no doubt that there will be buyers for it, as it does have a 9.6 label and there are still those who are oblivious to the sometimes draconian differences between the major league and the little league when it comes to comic grading companies..

I contacted Daniel and he stated that everyone in here is wrong. 

He sent some higher resolution scans to prove his point.

Avengers4front.jpg.b7ace879b046171328824bc20ead5b4d.jpgAvengers4back.jpg.f8d9009207bcc0269b6f9991850a500a.jpg

2 minutes ago, Domo Arigato said:

I contacted Daniel and he stated that everyone in here is wrong. 

He sent some higher resolution scans to prove his point.

Avengers4front.jpg.b7ace879b046171328824bc20ead5b4d.jpg

Is anyone else wondering where the "S" is on Stan? signed "Totally"....

2 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Is anyone else wondering where the "S" is on Stan? signed "Totally"....

The S is there, as is the t. It starts after the second 'e' in Lee, and backtracks through what was later penned as the rest of the signature. It's through the shield so difficult to first see.