• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX 9.6 Avengers #4 - What Would CGC Do?
1 1

90 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, Crops068 said:

Unless they are fake like everything else. :roflmao:

dang

29 minutes ago, The Lions Den said:

The good:  This gives me something to do on an otherwise uneventful afternoon... 

The bad: PGX. Good lord, how much more do we have to endure..? :cry:  

The ugly: Yes, I could see this graded as a CGC 8.5. The light foxing/tanning on the bottom of the back cover does warrant a downgrade, and that's the typical grade CGC would generally give for an otherwise Near Mint book with this type of flaw. But it doesn't begin to answer what may have been done to it since it was allegedly cracked out of a CGC holder and put into an esteemed PGX slab lol. My feeling is that it's been pressed, perhaps not professionally, which accounts for the odd "something is wrong but I can't put my finger on it" feeling some of our fellow board members may have experienced. And the signature may or may not be genuine, although it is messy enough to make me think it might be real. Either way, if submitted to CGC, this book will undoubtedly be given a green Qualified label or a blue Universal label, and neither grade would be anywhere near a 9.6, IMO. That is, of course, if it hasn't been trimmed or otherwise significantly altered in some other way...

Bottom line: You're entering a world of pain...

Nothing would have had to have been done aside from buying it at a convention, taking it back to the PGX headquarters (garage), cracking it out and reslabbing on PGX machinery with a 9.6 label. With foxing and tone that bad, what could have possibly been done to make it any better than that tone allows it to be? CGC graded the Manarino collection books mostly 8.0s, and some of them had less toning than this.

Edited by James J Johnson

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

I tried using the forum search engine to see if noted in the past. No luck using that. But I was able to find this using google. The book I was referring to, which could be the same book, was already discussed here 5+ years ago!:

Remember folks always post a pic not just a link cause years later when someone clicks on the old ebay link-nuthin.

3 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

The thread loads but of course, the ebay listing won't. It's over 5 years old.

yes the thread but no pic to compare

4 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

That thread shows up for me. The link isn't loading for you?

Thanks JJJ. This link sheds even more unfavorable light on the nefarious history of this book and touches on many of the same suspicions that've been raised this time around...  :fear:

Just now, The Lions Den said:

Thanks JJJ. This link sheds even more unfavorable light on the nefarious history of this book and touches on many of the same suspicions that've been raised this time around...  :fear:

You're welcome! I only wish I could find the images. I did save them. Of the CGC 8.5 and the resulting, post cracked-out PGX 9.6. Same book.

An amazing testimony of and credit to this forum that someone here spotted the connection at that time too! I wasn't looking for it. I got lucky. When PGX listed it I was immediately struck by it's resemblance to another that I had seen previously. At that time, I was able to pull up both, place images side by side,  game, set, match.

For a guy who claims he only watches The Watcher meddles constantly in human affairs.

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

You're welcome! I only wish I could find the images. I did save them. Of the CGC 8.5 and the resulting, post cracked-out PGX 9.6. Same book.

An amazing testimony of and credit to this forum that someone here spotted the connection at that time too! I wasn't looking for it. I got lucky. When PGX listed it I was immediately struck by it's resemblance to another that I had seen previously. At that time, I was able to pull up both, place images side by side,  game, set, match.

I believe this is the thread you were thinking of

4 hours ago, James J Johnson said:

I tried using the forum search engine to see if noted in the past. No luck using that. But I was able to find this using google. The book I was referring to, which could be the same book, was already discussed here 5+ years ago!:

I believe this is the thread you're referring to  - unfortunately there are no pics of the book.

35 minutes ago, John R said:

I believe this is the thread you're referring to  - unfortunately there are no pics of the book.

6 pages in that thread and not a single pic so we can compare.  Just a defunct ebay auction.

Always post pics folks for future detective work!

1 hour ago, kav said:

6 pages in that thread and not a single pic so we can compare.  Just a defunct ebay auction.

Always post pics folks for future detective work!

I had pics saved. Probably on a long burned out computer's files, gone forever. The pics I copied to file were from online images. I never saw that linked info until Tuesday, "former 8.5 cgc, etc." . My saving the images was an action independent of that info. Now, without the images I had saved 5+ years ago to reference now, although I'm sure that the CGC 8.5 is the same book that became the PGX 9.6 back then, referred to above, I can't be 100% sure that it's the same PGX 9.6 as the starter subject for this thread as there is more than 1 PGX 9.6 AV 4 since at least the CGC 8.5 was mentioned above.

3 hours ago, John R said:

That is quite the enterprise.  PGX grader goes around to comic shows and buys his comics (CGC books at that), takes them back to the garage, re-grades them (while shooing away the cats off the books), encapsulates, and then sells them on eBay under various shill accounts :ph34r:

And explain to me again how PGX is still in business?