• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGX 9.6 Avengers #4 - What Would CGC Do?
1 1

90 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, James J Johnson said:

My whole point boils down to one thing.

Buy it for $4000 and money will be made. That's a lock. The label assures that, even though in my opinion a PGX label may as well be blank.

Whether it's trimmed or not, whether Stan really signed it, whether there's no disclosure on restoration, if any, is a moot point. On this forum, we all know the difference between grading services and the potential for disaster that can exist if buying from #3 and cross submitting to #1 for the truth.

But if we just assess this from the aspect of, "Is this a good purchase for $4000?", most definitely, my answer is yes, strictly from a profit view. IMO, a PGX slabbed item is a hot potato, but there's a big market for spuds. So my concern and only concern is "why only $4000?" Does the seller own a PC? Have internet access?

I see what you're saying, but at the end of the day, to me personally, it's not worth it, because either your buyer will ultimately suffer, or your reputation will suffer, or both. Passing on a hot potato is not a good way to build client trust. It would also, personally, feel kind of icky. If I bought a book to sell and I believed the book was a-ok, but it turned out down the line there was an issue, these things happen. If I bought a book forearmed with the knowledge that it is most likely problematic, I would feel gross, no matter how much money is on the line.

6 minutes ago, kav said:

:whatthe:

I remember it having white pages, just like this one. And while we're mentioning white pages, we don't see too many books with edge tone like this labeled with white pages by CGC, do we? These books tend to tone from the inside out as well as the outside in, right? After all, it is pulp, cheap newsprint paper.

Edited by James J Johnson

28 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I see what you're saying, but at the end of the day, to me personally, it's not worth it, because either your buyer will ultimately suffer, or your reputation will suffer, or both. Passing on a hot potato is not a good way to build client trust. It would also, personally, feel kind of icky. If I bought a book to sell and I believed the book was a-ok, but it turned out down the line there was an issue, these things happen. If I bought a book forearmed with the knowledge that it is most likely problematic, I would feel gross, no matter how much money is on the line.

I agree. But the moral/ethical issue, like the answer whether to pass or play for $4000, unless a scam, is his decision. My opinion is based solely on whether or not $4000 is a viable price. And for what purpose. Hold or sell.

Also, has anyone else found it odd that Jason Danzinger, the OP, just signed on, made one post, and that was that? Could be a test to see how to plan a sale. See what the big boys, the watchdogs of the hobby have to say about it prior to strategizing.

I've been awaiting a response. A second post. In fact, geared my answers specifically to elicit a response. None given. Strange? That someone with a question about a $4000 purchase goes mute after asking? Jason is a wealth manager from Houston, Texas, so I assume he's a busy man at this hour of day, but surprising nonetheless, no 2nd post to follow up, even though he checked in and looked at the thread about 40 minutes ago to chart its progress. Maybe he'll be back later. At any rate, if he's a man of restraint and this few words, I like him already!  (thumbsu  Reminds me of me.  :whee:

Edited by James J Johnson

2 hours ago, mackenzie999 said:

Golden Record Reprint. A few early Marvel keys were issued in book-and-record sets. The easiest way to distinguish them is there is no cover price. My comment about that was meant as a joke...mostly.

Other GRR's: Fantastic Four #1, Spidey #1, Journey into Mystery #83. These came out around 1966 I think, and are about the best reprints you can get as they are close to the age of the originals.

1235684007.jpg

It has a different back cover but UK copy has the same back cover. It can be added with a month.

2127158927_ScreenShot2019-06-18at3_02_48PM.png.7a38084890834886d0ae08b70eafef76.png

1 hour ago, F For Fake said:

:foryou:

1 minute ago, zeezee said:

This book is being auctioned off on Hake's auctions. 

I think this was previously a CGC 8.5. I can't be 100% sure because, as luck would have it, I can't find where I filed the scans when I saw it on ebay and neither google searches nor the Heritage auction archives have a match. But I do remember looking for recently sold CGC #4s at that time, and one of them was a match to that PGX 9.6 AV 4, so if this is indeed the same book as the one I'm remembering from end of 2013/start of 2014, it was a CGC 8.5 and then morphed into a PGX 9.6 soon after.

1 minute ago, James J Johnson said:

"I found", he stated.

Looking over the thread he mentions that he has an opportunity of buying the book for a set price ($4,000.00). That can't be the case when it will go on auction in 23 days.

A true 9.6 or even 9.4 or 9.2 is worth much more than $4000.  If seller is selling for that, one has to ask WHY

4 minutes ago, zeezee said:

anyone know how to scroll in enlarged hake pics?  Everything I try just flips to small pic next pic.  very user baffling.

21 minutes ago, kav said:

A true 9.6 or even 9.4 or 9.2 is worth much more than $4000.  If seller is selling for that, one has to ask WHY

I'm guessing the "seller" is going to show up with a .38 and politely request the $4000 in exchange for nothing.

2 minutes ago, mattn792 said:

I'm guessing the "seller" is going to show up with a .38 and politely request the $4000 in exchange for nothing.

Thats when 2  dudes roll out of back of van with shotties saying dang we had the same idea bruh

Edited by kav

The good: It's still a vintage Marvel key.

The bad: PGX...need I say more?   

The ugly: Yes, I could see this as being graded at one time as a CGC 8.5. The light tanning/staining on the bottom of the back cover does warrant a downgrade, and that's the typical grade CGC would give for an otherwise Near Mint book with this type of flaw. But it doesn't begin to answer what may have been done to it since it was allegedly cracked out of a CGC holder and put into a PGX case. My gut feeling is that it's been pressed, perhaps not professionally, which accounts for the odd "something is wrong but I can't put my finger on it" feeling some of our fellow board members may have experienced. And the signature may or may not be genuine, although it's messy enough to make someone think it could be real. Either way, if submitted to CGC, this book will probably be given a green Qualified label for the signature, or a blue Universal label with a reduced grade, and the resulting grade in either scenario won't be anywhere near a 9.6, IMO.

Bottom line: Current data suggests that even if this book attained a CGC blue label 8.5 (which seems very unlikely due to the signature) it still would be worth less than $4000. If it's restored, the price quickly dips into the $1200 - $1500 range. A Qualified 8.5 would probably be somewhere in that range as well, depending on a variety of factors. If the book attained a Universal 6.5 (a pretty typical grade for a CGC graded book with an unverified signature in the middle of the front cover) it'd likely be valued in the $2000 - $2200 range... 

Edited by The Lions Den

5 minutes ago, kav said:

Thats when 2  dudes roll out of back of van with shotties saying dang we had the same idea bruh

But if you find out the meeting place you could be the 3rd and catch them BOTH off guard and get the "$4k" shredded playboys in a bag and nothing from the OG "seller"

1 minute ago, Crops068 said:

But if you find out the meeting place you could be the 3rd and catch them BOTH off guard and get the "$4k" shredded playboys in a bag and nothing from the OG "seller"

Take their guns at least you could pawn em