• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Share The Darwyn Cooke Art From Your Personal Collection
2 2

72 posts in this topic

Description

The Rocketeer by Darwyn Cooke. I picked up this Prelim at Albert Moy’s booth. Thrilled to have a piece by Darwyn. He was such an incredible talent who left us too soon.

I wrote this at the time of his passing. 

Darwyn Cooke was a master storyteller with the coolest signature in comics. He was an artist whose style was commonly and simply described as retro, but was much more than that, whether drawing a simpler time of the New Frontier or the harsh reality of Westlake's Parker, his artwork and storytelling expressed an elegant ideal. He was a comic creator who, with every encounter I had with him, showed an honesty and generosity with his fans. 
He was....
...It's hard to use the past tense when talking about someone who's work had such a profound effect on your life. 
My favorite memory of Darwyn was San Diego Comic Con back in 2012. It was Saturday night at the Hyatt bar. I had just self-published my comic Mysteryman and I was desperate to give one of my favorite creators my first published work. I could see Darwyn was about to leave for the night. Fortunately, I had enough liquid courage to approach him. 
"Excuse me, Mr. Cooke?"  
"It's Darwyn."
"... Darwyn, I just wanted to let you know how I am a huge fan and your work has been such an inspiration. I just self-published my first comic and, I realize it's not the best time, but I wanted to give you a copy of my comic as a thank you."
"Are you coming to my spotlight panel tomorrow?"
"I am..." 
"Great, give it to me after that. How old are you?" 
"Twenty-nine."
"Keep your nerve kid, you're farther ahead than I was." 
I was so grateful that Darwyn took that moment to slow things down; he easily could have taken the book and said thank you, but he didn't.
The next day I went to his spotlight panel. Afterwards, I caught his attention and gave him a copy of my comic, and then he took out his pen - his pen with which he has signed so many of my comics in years past - and he told me, "You've got to sign it..." 

Darwyn cared enough to take the time with a first-time comic writer. I hope he read Mysteryman; I hope he enjoyed it. 
His work on the Parker novels were masterpieces. A perfect pairing of creator and material.
Even with projects like Before Watchmen, Cooke took such special care to flesh out two members of the Minutemen, Silhouette and Mothman, that he makes us care about characters that were mere footnotes in the original volume. I was particularly moved by the Mothman pages. That's right... Mothman. Cooke made you care, which is no surprise. Cooke was a master storyteller, and while he uses the designs and some layout cues of Dave Gibbons, make no mistake, this was a Darwyn Cooke comic. His sensibilities and style are ever present, and for that I'm grateful. The book was confident, but not cocky; it's respectful of the source, but never a slave to it.
It was original - just like Darwyn Cooke. 
Thank you Darwyn, for your art, for your stories, and for your kindness. Rest in peace.

4101C309-B786-4015-96F1-5F6B3500A090.jpeg

12 hours ago, Bird said:

D9YuVCNXYAEsMmC.jpg

I bought this on the first Wonder Woman Day. I think it is perfect. It ended up being published in the New Frontier Absolute Edition. I owned 2 or 3 other pieces of Darwyn's art over the years but I was too stupid to hold onto them. This one though, this one is a real keeper and resides on my wall just as you enter the room. It has garnered many comments from people not interested in comic art who have admired it.

Insanely jealous of this! :luhv::golfclap: Great pickup!!!

As a big fan of the Parker novels, I loved Darwyn’s adaptations.  I picked up this page from The Score not long after I started collecting art.  There were a handful of pages available on Albert’s site at the time, but if you’re familiar with the story, this page contains an important reveal, so it was a pretty easy choice for me.

C8ABF2CA-AED2-4A23-AECE-295D09E8D96B.jpeg

On 6/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, Bird said:

D9YuVCNXYAEsMmC.jpg

I bought this on the first Wonder Woman Day. I think it is perfect. It ended up being published in the New Frontier Absolute Edition. I owned 2 or 3 other pieces of Darwyn's art over the years but I was too stupid to hold onto them. This one though, this one is a real keeper and resides on my wall just as you enter the room. It has garnered many comments from people not interested in comic art who have admired it.

I love this wonder woman drawing. It’s GD fantastic!

41 minutes ago, The Cimmerians Purse said:

I love Darwin Cooke. I just picked this sweet Challengers of the Unknown piece up from the last big comic link auction it was published in the illustration section of the absolute hard cover edition of new frontier in color as a 10c golden age cover

08EE5CFE-32D9-4BCB-A365-D8238451BD16.jpeg

That is a great illustration 

2 hours ago, Bird said:

That is a great illustration 

Dude it’s fantastic! I really really love it. I’ve been hunting for a new frontier piece for a while and I’m so glad I grabbed it, especially after underbidding on the story page that the Donnellies have in their inventory now, and seeing them put it up for over 2x what it went for on comic link. My understanding is that Darwyn drew it specially to be associated with new frontier, which is neat.