• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who's the inker? Marc Silvestri Conan
1 1

6 posts in this topic

My dad recently acquired these King Conan #20 pages from Pablo Marcos at HeroesCon 2019 and I wanted to ask the community a few questions about them.

1. I'm nearly certain the penciler is Marc Silvestri. Is this correct?

2. Who is the inker? We assumed it was Pablo Marcos since that's who we bought it from, but he isn't credited in the issue. A Judith Marcos is though, who I believe is Pablo's daughter. I'm assuming she actually did the inks, but would be curious to get confirmation on this.

3. Is there any reasonable way to hunt down the missing speech bubbles? I'm assuming they've been lost to time, but wasn't sure if there was a market or community for speech bubbles.

4. I know this is incredibly relative, but how do missing speech bubbles typically impact value/desirability? I assume the answer is somewhere between "it depends" and "who cares," but I'm just curious to get others' perspectives.

Let me know if there's anything else you think we should know about these pages! It was my dad's first OA purchase and I was excited to see him pick up some prime pages of his favorite character. Thanks in advance!

King Conan #20, Page 17.jpg

King Conan #20, Page 27.jpg

40 minutes ago, Varanis said:

My dad recently acquired these King Conan #20 pages from Pablo Marcos at HeroesCon 2019 and I wanted to ask the community a few questions about them.

1. I'm nearly certain the penciler is Marc Silvestri. Is this correct?

2. Who is the inker? We assumed it was Pablo Marcos since that's who we bought it from, but he isn't credited in the issue. A Judith Marcos is though, who I believe is Pablo's daughter. I'm assuming she actually did the inks, but would be curious to get confirmation on this.

3. Is there any reasonable way to hunt down the missing speech bubbles? I'm assuming they've been lost to time, but wasn't sure if there was a market or community for speech bubbles.

4. I know this is incredibly relative, but how do missing speech bubbles typically impact value/desirability? I assume the answer is somewhere between "it depends" and "who cares," but I'm just curious to get others' perspectives.

Let me know if there's anything else you think we should know about these pages! It was my dad's first OA purchase and I was excited to see him pick up some prime pages of his favorite character. Thanks in advance!

1. Silvestri is credited as the penciller on both Marvel Wikia and Comics.org. It was early in his career, so it's hard to see any of his later trademark style in the art so that one would say "a-ha, that's Silvestri!", but, I don't think there's any reason to doubt the attribution.  

2. According to Comics.org, a ton of different inkers worked on this issue (Marie Severin; Mike Gustovich; Dave Simons; Charles Vess; Joe Rubinstein [as Josef Rubinstein] (Page 16) ; Judith Marcos; Jack Abel; Harry Candelario; Ron Fontes; Marc Silvestri; Ned Sonntag). Given that it ended up with Pablo Marcos, I'd say that Judith Marcos is a pretty good bet. That large last panel of Conan on the first page has a very Marcos-esque look to it, IMO.

3. Probably 99.999% of speech bubbles that are lost will remain lost. You will have to get them recreated if you want them for aesthetic reasons.

4. Missing speech bubbles have little-to-no impact on a piece's value, depending on the piece. 

Conan the King #20 was a memorable issue from the run - congrats to your dad on the pick-up!

Edited by delekkerste

I can let others address the word balloon questions (personally, I'm not a fan of the glue residue, but sometimes it is nice to see the artwork hidden underneath them), but the inking definitely looks like Pablo Marcos.  But, his daughter, Judith is listed in the credits, and she did pencil a few pinups for Savage Sword of Conan a few years earlier, so I wouldn't think there is enough evidence to change that credit.  It would make sense for him to be selling his daughter's artwork.  Silvestri is the credited penciler.

Thank you both for the responses!

I wonder why so many different inkers worked on this issue.

Is it possible to remove the glue residue safely? I'm not sure my dad would want to and I think it adds to the provenance of the piece, but I'm curious for future reference.

On 6/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, Varanis said:

Is it possible to remove the glue residue safely? I'm not sure my dad would want to and I think it adds to the provenance of the piece, but I'm curious for future reference.

You'd want to restore the word balloons instead, I should think. 

On 6/18/2019 at 3:31 PM, Varanis said:

Personally, I much prefer word balloons on the pages; they are a part of the story. I would try to get them restored.