• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden age S/D? From a new collector
1 1

26 posts in this topic

On 6/19/2019 at 4:38 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

That REALLY says it well Alan. I get at least 10-20 (no exaggeration) messages a week asking advice on what to buy and if this book should be sold or traded, etc. My question comes back to "Why are you doing this?" I also find telling someone to buy "Planet 8" and sell "Fight 33" (just random books I pulled out of the air) sets them up for failure and sets me up for blame. 

I have been watching a lot of people get into gold just the last 6 months - literally the gold rush- with thoughts of buying a book for $500 and selling it for $2000 a few months later and a really scattered collecting focus. Maybe I am even an early part of the last wave of people who came in thinking that too around 5 years ago, even though I had a lot of comic experience in the early 90's. What I found was the first year I didn't know what I was doing and I made really "bad buys" and didn't understand the market and didn't even know what I really liked. Even now I like something and then like something else shortly thereafter, but a LOT of very cool stuff that I think is sweet passes through my hands and some of it sticks around a good while and a lot doesn't. 

I think what has happened is almost everybody (not all- most) are "deallectors", a combination of collector and part time dealer usually to grow their collection. I don't know that it wasn't almost always that way but it definitely is now and it is not a bad thing- BUT it is not for everybody. Your "deallecting" should not be your rent money, your car payment money, your kids college fund. It should be whatever you want to spare and can afford to lose because you never know. I see a lot of people getting in real deep too quick and burning out. Just have fun with it. It has been a 5 year journey for me to get to this stage. I started out buying $30-100 books mostly here just 4 years ago and it has built steadily. Don't focus on building the dream collection in 6 months, think more like 5-10 years where you will be. It will feel like less pressure @explosive&kitkat

Golden age books are cool by the way and there is plenty of interest in a lot of them, but you are right, not all of them.

This is absolutely false. I never pm you more than 15 times a week and I never held it against you for telling me not to buy any books by  that crappy artist Baker or dumping all my PCH for pennies. 

I just misunderstood the fact that you MAKE signs and don’t GIVE signs with market advice...:devil:

I didn't want to spam the thread with quotes from each response but thank you to everyone for your comments and insight.

This thread has made me think a lot about my words in the original post and realize that im way to new at this to even have a opinion at this point. I dont mean that in a bad way at all I just think I spoke before I should have due to excitement coming in here and posting. Im seeing that its a lot more of a personal perspective situation then a right or wrong answer. I can jump before I look its one of my downfalls sometimes but I own it when I do it. With that being said im going to leave the GA speculation to the pros for a few years and just enjoy the books im able to get as I learn more. thanks again to everyone for sharing your experience