• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain marvel adventure 99

8 posts in this topic

Im not sure what this is going to be for a grade. Im looking at similar stuff with the same kinda of pieces missing and seeing lower grades. How bad do you guys think they will hit this for the back cover?

im trying to get better at grading please if you have the time explain your grade for learning purposes. Thank you. 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by explosive&kitkat

5.0 IMO.

Looking at the front, it would appear to be in the 9.0-range, but missing pieces hammer it. I typically degrade by 1 full point for each small piece missing. I'm not super confident of that 5.0 grade, it could be considered low, and it could be considered high. I just feel like a comic that looks this good shouldn't be considered anything below "average".

3 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

5.0 IMO.

Looking at the front, it would appear to be in the 9.0-range, but missing pieces hammer it. I typically degrade by 1 full point for each small piece missing. I'm not super confident of that 5.0 grade, it could be considered low, and it could be considered high. I just feel like a comic that looks this good shouldn't be considered anything below "average".

Thank you for your help on this one. This one has been so hard for me because other then those pieces missing its a complete gem.

Im not sure exactly how this works but do you think I could ask for a qualified grade with a note about the pieces missing and get the grade just on the rest of the book? If so is that even a good idea?

Keep in mind its not getting sold just a keeper that will end up on the wall in my man cave.

Also one more thing, I tried to show the staples this one does have some rust on one staple and both staples are kinda recessed just a little bit. Neither is dethatched or ripped or anything though.

2 minutes ago, explosive&kitkat said:

Thank you for your help on this one. This one has been so hard for me because other then those pieces missing its a complete gem.

Im not sure exactly how this works but do you think I could ask for a qualified grade with a note about the pieces missing and get the grade just on the rest of the book? If so is that even a good idea?

Keep in mind its not getting sold just a keeper that will end up on the wall in my man cave.

Also one more thing, I tried to show the staples this one does have some rust on one staple and both staples are kinda recessed just a little bit. Neither is dethatched or ripped or anything though.

I don't think this is an option. That's for things like a missing page, stamp cut out, etc.

I don't see this getting below a 5.0 - even considering minor staple rust. I could see it getting as high as 6.5 maybe. I can't really be sure. CGC is allegedly a little loose on Golden Age. It's a :censored: gorgeous book.

55 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

I don't think this is an option. That's for things like a missing page, stamp cut out, etc.

I don't see this getting below a 5.0 - even considering minor staple rust. I could see it getting as high as 6.5 maybe. I can't really be sure. CGC is allegedly a little loose on Golden Age. It's a :censored: gorgeous book.

Ok thank you. Ill probally send it in just for the grade and hang it in the man cave. Its a nice cover to look at

It's always interesting to grade a book where the front and back covers are very different. I like the idea of grading the front cover first, and then grading the back cover. It's easier for me to arrive at an overall grade that way.

So if we just ballpark it and say the front cover is an 8.0 and the back cover is more like a 5.5, let's shoot for an overall grade that's somewhere in between, shall we? Well, 7.5 seems too high and 6.0 seems a bit harsh. So mathematically, this book should fall into the 6.5 - 7.0 range. In this scenario, I'd choose the lower grade of 6.5. 

Let's say someone doesn't agree with this assessment. They think the front cover is only a 7.5 and the back is a 5.0. So your choices are now 6.0 or 6.5. I could still choose 6.5, but in this case, my estimated grade would be lowered to a 6.0. And yes, the front cover is given more weight than the back cover. If the same flaws were on the front cover, I'd be at 5.5 instead of 6.0.

The advantages of using the above system is that it's quick and easy (and generally accurate). While there can be differences of opinion (there always is), this strategy can be used for the vast majority of books... 

Edited by The Lions Den

I'm around 5.5 as while the FC is very nice there are a few too many pieces out of the BC to go any higher. If Sarasota deigned to give it a 6.0 I wouldn't be surprised. There has been some discussion that they deduct for BC damage less severely than damage on the FC (see the spine realignment discussions).

Book attached as reference. Without that small piece out I'd put it at 7.5ish.

USMarines8.jpg

Edited by The-Collector