• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press or not to press? Pressing info please.

114 posts in this topic

Hi,

Im new at a lot of this and would like to hear opinions of experienced members on pressing. Here are some specifics of what im looking to answer:

1. when should pressing be considered?

2. what are the risks of pressing if using cgc and how common are they?

3. how much does pressing help a grade of a book? (I know this is a case by case thing just wanted a general idea)

4. examples of books before and after pressing?

5. personal experiences with pressing?

6. price to added value (should i only press keys)?

7. does the cleaning process used in pressing clean everything or just certain things? For example soiling staining and so on?

8. any other important info in regard's to pressing?

9. pressing vs quick press?

Thank you in advance for your time answering my questions it makes a huge difference in the learning process. FYI I am not a seller im a collector, I dont even have a ebay page so my questions are solely for my information as a collector and will be used to get better grades of books ide really like to have that could otherwise be out of reach. Thanks again.

3 hours ago, explosive&kitkat said:

Hi,

Im new at a lot of this and would like to hear opinions of experienced members on pressing. Here are some specifics of what im looking to answer:

1. when should pressing be considered?

2. what are the risks of pressing if using cgc and how common are they?

3. how much does pressing help a grade of a book? (I know this is a case by case thing just wanted a general idea)

4. examples of books before and after pressing?

5. personal experiences with pressing?

6. price to added value (should i only press keys)?

7. does the cleaning process used in pressing clean everything or just certain things? For example soiling staining and so on?

8. any other important info in regard's to pressing?

9. pressing vs quick press?

Thank you in advance for your time answering my questions it makes a huge difference in the learning process. FYI I am not a seller im a collector, I dont even have a ebay page so my questions are solely for my information as a collector and will be used to get better grades of books ide really like to have that could otherwise be out of reach. Thanks again.

You're asking someone to put in a heck of a lot of work in all that question asking. I honestly got tired reading it, can't imagine answering all this. I think because you're asking so many questions you're gonna get a lot of snarky answers. This, I believe, is because people new (like yourself) barge in here and ask for someone to spend a lot of time to educate them. And than not even saying thank you afterwards. Not that I would accuse you of doing so, it's just a statistical thing. I see it happen, oh, 98% of the time. I'm just trying to explain the snarky s-storm that's brewing and will come on full force on about page 2 1/2, eventually locking the thread. Many, many collectors here have worked very hard to learn what they know. Spent a lot of money to learn what they know. Spent a lot of time to learn what they know. And now you're asking for them to just tell you, everything. Try to respect them and their time.

I want to welcome you here. Please stay and take your time with this hobby. Perhaps take a chill pill and ask a question or two. And say "Thank You" many, many times.

I'll put in a bit of effort here while I'm doing laundry so some other members can skip those questions and answer others.  

The answers to many of your questions are subjective. Press any books you like. Prices are all over the place in comicdom now. Without a specific title and issue number it's hard to say if something will increase in value.

Again, I don't want to come off harsh. I want to welcome you and just try to explain the s-storm you dialed. BTW, what's your favorite storyline? Titles? Writers? Artists?

Edited by NoMan

19 minutes ago, NoMan said:

You're asking someone to put in a heck of a lot of work in all that question asking. I honestly got tired reading it, can't imagine answering all this. I think because your asking so many questions you're gonna get a lot of snarky answers. This, I believe, is because people new (like yourself) barge in here and ask for someone to spend a lot of time to educate them. And than not even saying thank you afterwards. Not that I would accuse you of doing so, it's just a statistical thing. I see it happen, oh, 98% of the time. I'm just trying to explain the snarky s-storm that's brewing and will come on full force on about page 2 1/2. Many, many collectors here have worked very hard to learn what they know. Spent a lot of money to know what they know. Try to respect that.

I want to welcome you here. Please stay and take your time with this hobby. Perhaps take a chill pill and ask a question or two. And say "Thank You" many, many times.

I'll put in a bit of effort here while I'm doing laundry so some other members can skip those questions and answer others.  

The answers to many of your questions are subjective. Press any books you like. Prices are all over the place in comicdom now. Without a specific title and issue number it's hard to say if something will increase in value.

Again, I don't want to come off harsh. I want to welcome you and just try to explain the s-storm you dialed. BTW, what's your favorite storyline? Titles? Writers? Artists?

Thank you! :foryou:

54 minutes ago, NoMan said:

You're asking someone to put in a heck of a lot of work in all that question asking. I honestly got tired reading it, can't imagine answering all this. I think because you're asking so many questions you're gonna get a lot of snarky answers. This, I believe, is because people new (like yourself) barge in here and ask for someone to spend a lot of time to educate them. And than not even saying thank you afterwards. Not that I would accuse you of doing so, it's just a statistical thing. I see it happen, oh, 98% of the time. I'm just trying to explain the snarky s-storm that's brewing and will come on full force on about page 2 1/2, eventually locking the thread. Many, many collectors here have worked very hard to learn what they know. Spent a lot of money to learn what they know. Spent a lot of time to learn what they know. And now you're asking for them to just tell you, everything. Try to respect them and their time.

Ok didn't mean to come off like im trying to get other people to do the work for me, im doing the work right now. This morning when I started researching my options for my first submission I took some advice I had gotten that I should come here to the chat boards to find the info I needed. I thought that was what I was supposed to do is ask questions and read and that's what im doing. I really dont want to start off on the wrong foot here but get the feeling this subject might have been bad luck on my end.

As for my favorites

Im currently filling out a Justice League 1st series run. I love Harley Quinn, Hulk, Joker, wolverine, wonder woman.  Writers/Artist Stan Lee, Amanda Cooner, Jack Kirby, Adam Hughes.

Thank you for your time. 

19 minutes ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

This book is aching for a press,  but may not see any significant jump in grade as a result.

NIRrj8j.jpg

WLPYTr0.jpg

I Soooo want a copy, even that book makes my mouth water. 

Now why may this book not receive a significant bump in grade? Is just because it has so many defects? Nice book either way.

Thank you for the reply's 

Simple answer...yes. If you're going to submit to CGC, always press. This is my opinion, of course. Aside from my first submission to CGC (before pressing was a thing) I've CPR'd every book sent for grading. I've gained a lot from it. I had one cracked 4.0 go to a 6.5 with CPR. I've also submitted to other services which can not be named and had those books pressed as well. Of all the books I've submitted, only 3 books didn't "need" a press. They were moderns (2014 and 2015 I think)...2 came back 9.6, one 9.8. (I generally only submit bronze and older.) 

I figure if your going to spend the money purchasing,  shipping and grading, why not spend a few extra dollars to ensure you submit the books in the best condition they can be.

Edited by Supa-Bad-Mofo

4 minutes ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

Simple answer...yes. If you're going to submit to CGC, always press. This is my opinion, of course. Aside from my first submission to CGC (before pressing was a thing) I've CPR'd every book sent for grading. I've gained a lot from it. I had one cracked 4.0 go to a 6.5 with CPR. I've also submitted to other services which can not be named and had those books pressed as well. Only 3 books didn't "need" a press. They were moderns (2014 and 2015 I think)...2 came back 9.6, one 9.8. (I generally only submit bronze and older.) 

I figure if your going to spend the money purchasing,  shipping and grading, why not spend a few extra dollars to ensure you submit the books in the best condition they can be.

Is there a big Difference in the end product if using a quick press vs regular pressing? 

Thanks for your time

16 minutes ago, explosive&kitkat said:

Thank you for the resource, im going to watch some of his stuff in a bit.

you can trust cgc in house services to do a good job, the wait time is the kicker though, but if your not in a rush... go for it...

quick press vs regular press is just that, the time they spend on it, longer the focus the better the job...

depending on the book.... and how bad it needs it etc, but probably better to go all out with regular press

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

you can trust cgc in house services to do a good jub, the wait time is the kicker though, but if your not in a rush... go for it...

quick press vs regular press is just that, the time they spend on it, longer the focus the better the job...

depending on the book.... and how bad it needs it etc, but probably better to go all out with regular press

Time isn't a concern any books I send in are personal collection stuff ill have forever, the longer they have the more free safe storage I get :roflmao:

Thank you for reassurance 

10 minutes ago, joecgcmaniac said:

Just think, a few years ago a thread like this would have escalated into WWIII, had 32,000+ replies, and would have been locked within 2 hours, tops.  :eek:

I got that feeling after a few replies.. I really wasn't trying to be controversial at all and now that im reading deeper into conversations here I realize this topic is just that. I really am just trying to learn about options when sending books in and was told this was the best place to ask. If it does turn into that though I will try and remove the page (if that's possible) because I dont want to cause any issues here. 

4 minutes ago, explosive&kitkat said:

I got that feeling after a few replies.. I really wasn't trying to be controversial at all and now that im reading deeper into conversations here I realize this topic is just that. I really am just trying to learn about options when sending books in and was told this was the best place to ask. If it does turn into that though I will try and remove the page (if that's possible) because I dont want to cause any issues here. 

you probably don't need to remove said thread, you did fine....

sometimes it's a ghost poster who'll post the question and you'll never hear from them again lol 

but we'll still be going 10 pages later....

it's natural with comics to want to jump in with both feet! plus the process can seem daunting at first too... all perfectly normal :foryou: