• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press or not to press? Pressing info please.

114 posts in this topic

@explosive&kitkat

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/forum/93-newbie-comic-collecting-questions/

you can ask as many of these kinds of questions at that link, that part of the board will get you less of a rise and regulars will visit to answer questions... :foryou: 

6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

you probably don't need to remove said thread, you did fine....

sometimes it's a ghost poster who'll post the question and you'll never hear from them again lol 

but we'll still be going 10 pages later....

it's natural with comics to want to jump in with both feet! plus the process can seem daunting at first too... all perfectly normal :foryou: 

Well I really do appreciate the help and reception ive got so far.

There is nothing like collecting comics. There's just so many awesome titles out there and the process to get them from start to finish, then actually holding this piece of art and comic history. I mean some of these heros are just a part of the family at this point in a lot of homes. I know when I was a kid it was Wolverine (I was a huge Wolverine fan) and then Hulk for me. Point being these stories have turned into the fairy tales of generations and that impact just makes them magical. 

2 minutes ago, explosive&kitkat said:

Well I really do appreciate the help and reception ive got so far.

There is nothing like collecting comics. There's just so many awesome titles out there and the process to get them from start to finish, then actually holding this piece of art and comic history. I mean some of these heros are just a part of the family at this point in a lot of homes. I know when I was a kid it was Wolverine (I was a huge Wolverine fan) and then Hulk for me. Point being these stories have turned into the fairy tales of generations and that impact just makes them magical. 

right on!  and no one wants to curb that enthusiasm!  :headbang: keep it up ^^ 

1 hour ago, explosive&kitkat said:

Is there a big Difference in the end product if using a quick press vs regular pressing? 

I think the more important question is whether your presser is using a hot press or cold press. Hot pressing at 250 Fahrenheit or whatever temperature they set their machine at may turn your comic paper toasty :( in the long run but it seems like collectors don't really care if they plan to flip said comic(s) within 6 months.

1 minute ago, aardvark88 said:

I think the more important question is whether your presser is using a hot press or cold press. Hot pressing at 250 Fahrenheit or whatever temperature they set their machine at may turn your comic paper toasty :( in the long run but it seems like collectors don't really care if they plan to flip said comic(s) within 6 months.

No I really dont want that to happen, especially to the books ide consider pressing. Is that just a concern if using a unprofessional pressor or is that a concern for all pressing?

Also how often does something like that happen? 

The only way ide have any of my books touched for anything is through CGC

Have there been issues with comics going brittle after so much time?

Thank you for your info

9 minutes ago, explosive&kitkat said:

No I really dont want that to happen, especially to the books ide consider pressing. Is that just a concern if using a unprofessional pressor or is that a concern for all pressing?

Also how often does something like that happen? 

Thank you for your info

Happens more than you think. Mainly because the person doing the work is not familiar with pressing at all, even though they consider themselves a pro. If you do have any work done it is best to ask around and use someone reputable and not those who would private message you about how good they are.

2 minutes ago, joeypost said:
13 minutes ago, explosive&kitkat said:

Also how often does something like that happen? 

Thank you for your info

Happens more than you think. Mainly because the person doing the work is not familiar with pressing at all, even though they consider themselves a pro. If you do have any work done it is best to ask around and use someone reputable and not those who would private message you about how good they are.

He's a pressor, he should know :shy:

a good one too!

5 minutes ago, joeypost said:

CGC is the only place ide consider for pressing. I look at it like this, if I wanted the book badly enough to budget for it, track it down, buy it and then get it pressed then its worth spending the money to have it done professionally. Now if it was a case of a mid range book that had some sort of sentimental value then that would be different I think.

Thank you for your response 

(No offense to anyone who presses)

Edited by explosive&kitkat

2 minutes ago, explosive&kitkat said:

CGC is the only place ide consider for pressing. I look at it like this, if I wanted the book badly enough to budget for it, track it down, buy it and then get it pressed then its worth spending the money to have it done professionally. Now if it was a case of a mid range book that had some sort of sentimental value then that would be different I think.

Sounds logical.

5 minutes ago, explosive&kitkat said:

If I were you, I would explore ALL of your options.  Bigger isn't always better...just sayin'. :whistle:

3 minutes ago, Supa-Bad-Mofo said:

If I were you, I would explore ALL of your options.  Bigger isn't always better...just sayin'. :whistle:

Yeah I get that but I just dont have enough knowledge right now to know the first thing about how to explore other options. I mean you have to look at it from my point of view, I wouldn't know if a comic was pressed perfectly or poorly right now or even be able to decipher a honest experienced comic presser if I wanted to because of my overall lack of understanding of everything in comic collecting. So even if I did a ton of work first before finding someone to press I would still be entering a agreement completely blind and on faith. Im sure there are great people and pressers here that are also honest with morals but I wouldn't be comfortable even exploring all that until I was comfortable with my own skills to be able to see a issue if it was in front of me. Im sure I could save a good amount of money but that would be nothing compared to loosing a few nice books that took me months to get. 

On that note once ive been here a wile and know my way around comics better and get to know the people maybe my stance will change on that but right now it wouldn't be a smart choice at all to jump into anything like that if that makes sense.

Just a personal choice based on risk assessment to reward in my current circumstance. My decision is all to do with my lack of knowledge and nothing to do with any pressor ability to press. 

6 hours ago, explosive&kitkat said:

Hi,

Im new at a lot of this and would like to hear opinions of experienced members on pressing. Here are some specifics of what im looking to answer:

1. when should pressing be considered?

2. what are the risks of pressing if using cgc and how common are they?

3. how much does pressing help a grade of a book? (I know this is a case by case thing just wanted a general idea)

4. examples of books before and after pressing?

5. personal experiences with pressing?

6. price to added value (should i only press keys)?

7. does the cleaning process used in pressing clean everything or just certain things? For example soiling staining and so on?

8. any other important info in regard's to pressing?

9. pressing vs quick press?

Thank you in advance for your time answering my questions it makes a huge difference in the learning process. FYI I am not a seller im a collector, I dont even have a ebay page so my questions are solely for my information as a collector and will be used to get better grades of books ide really like to have that could otherwise be out of reach. Thanks again.

You might find this thread interesting. It has a discussion  of some pressing results and damage caused by pressing.

1. There is no such thing as a "quick" press. There is only proper pressing, and improper pressing.

2. Proper pressing requires far more attention, time, and effort than it currently costs in the "pressing market", in almost every case. 

3. There are bad actors in the pressing market, just like everywhere else...even among those who are "the most respected professionals."

4. You cannot smash, soak, or burn a comic book into submission. 

5. Pressing is not magic. Some things cannot be fixed. 

6. Properly pressed books do not look pressed. This is only achieved through gentle, patient, attentive, gentle, experienced, gentle, and gentle care. Did I mention gentle...?

I had somebody ask who, besides CCS, might I recommend for pressing yesterday. I could not give them an unqualified answer. There was only one other entity I would consider, and that's with substantial caveats. 

This debate will never be won on these boards because half of the people adore pressing and half the people hate it.  So far I like it because for me once it goes in the case it is not coming out again, at least by me.  You have guys doing extensive hand wringing "gee, if only it was pressed what grade would it get?"  You have other guys saying "I hate slabbed books!" yet they hang out on the CGC boards! If you want to sell the book eventually there is still a market for both pressed and non pressed.  As for risk... any time the book is handled it could be damaged and that includes shipping as well as pressing.

I had one semi filthy book and CCS pressing was able to take off about half the dirt but not all.  I am happy with the result.

Some people love "plump spines" but after 30 years packed in a box all my books look like pancakes anyways.

Maybe a better question would be "is it worth it to slab all of my books?" and to that I would say no.  You have 9.8 raw books selling on Ebay for 5 bucks, in a case people want 80 bucks, THAT seems silly to me...

37 minutes ago, B2D327 said:

I do my own pressing, not for a bump in grade or value but just when something in my collection looks like this: 

ZomboDroid 16052019181752.jpg

Curious...  How exactly does a comic book get like that?  It looks like humid bag wrinkles, I don't have anything that looks like that.

I think you did a good job BUT...  The book looks like it has a grainy or lumpy finish.  I don't see that in my CCS books.  I wanted to try a non CCS presser but the guy didn't return my emails  (HINT HINT).  But then again why the heck should he because I have such low volume its hardly worth his effort!  HIS PRICES ARE TOO LOW haha!

I think what you did obviously helped the book because what you had was a turd and you polished it, most people would have pitched it as ruined.  Is it the REAL DEAL anymore?  I don't think so, its kind of a mutant.  50 years from now maybe no one will care including me.

For the record: And this should be obvious, but the CGC boards are not here simply for encapsulated comic collectors. This is a place for everything comic-relative. Don't be pretentious in acting like anyone has no business being here.

The majority of sub-forums and topics are completely unrelated to CGC products.

12 hours ago, THE_BEYONDER said:

This book is aching for a press,  but may not see any significant jump in grade as a result.

NIRrj8j.jpg

WLPYTr0.jpg

I would of loved to see that graded and encased without the press just as it is. I doubt that it could get sealed though like would the encapsulator flatten is as best as he could lol (definitely would get newton rings)