• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press or not to press? Pressing info please.

114 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, speedcake said:

Seems more of a “tell me” process than a “learning process” thread hm

A great deal of learning comes from being told the answer and explaining how and why.

I think that's how most schools work.

To the OP take your time. Learn a process that works for you. Don't just send in 50 books for pressing and grading them come back and tell us how CGC can't grade. Send it 5-10 books for pressing and grading learn for yourself what can be improved and take notes. Estimate what your grade would be and what you think the page quality is and so fourth. Write it all down in a note book because by the time you get the books back your going to forget what you thought and if you have it in writing you can compare your notes to theirs.  

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

For the record: And this should be obvious, but the CGC boards are not here simply for encapsulated comic collectors. This is a place for everything comic-relative. Don't be pretentious in acting like anyone has no business being here.

The majority of sub-forums and topics are completely unrelated to CGC products.

There are a lot of comic book web sites to hang out in.  We both know who I am talking about and it is fine he uses the site to sell books and a lot of people like them.  I am not trying to be pretentious at all and if I came off that way I am sorry, but not to you hah!  Have a great day TwoPiece!

2 minutes ago, Karl Liebl said:

There are a lot of comic book web sites to hang out in.  We both know who I am talking about and it is fine he uses the site to sell books and a lot of people like them.  I am not trying to be pretentious at all and if I came off that way I am sorry, but not to you hah!  Have a great day TwoPiece!

Doesn't matter. This is one of the best ones (if not the best one). Users with information galore. Everyone who isn't a troll is welcome here, and they do not have to collect CGC products. It is pretentious to communicate such a guideline that doesn't exist and that you have no authority to spread the misinformation of. That's all.

For the record: I have no idea who you are specifically talking about. I'm simply conveying that such a rule doesn't exist.

3 minutes ago, TwoPiece said:

Doesn't matter. This is one of the best ones (if not the best one). Users with information galore. Everyone who isn't a troll is welcome here, and they do not have to collect CGC products. It is pretentious to communicate such a guideline that doesn't exist and that you have no authority to spread the misinformation of. That's all.

For the record: I have no idea who you are specifically talking about. I'm simply conveying that such a rule doesn't exist.

You are reading too much into this buddy.  Go back to work!

Just now, TwoPiece said:

Why would I "go back to work" at lunch..?

Just stop spreading misinformation. That's all.

wait you... actually don't have to work through your lunch??!?!?!:ohnoez: you lucky guy lol 

Spoiler

just poking fun at North American work culture :signfunny:

1 minute ago, Krishosein said:

wait you... actually don't have to work through your lunch??!?!?!:ohnoez: you lucky guy lol 

Reveal hidden contents

just poking fun at North American work culture :signfunny:

I've "had" to work through lunch before to meet quoting deadlines. I've also chosen to work through lunch to leave early. :bigsmile:

It's not always moonshine and dead sunflowers...

Lots of questions that would require a lot if typing.  What I will say is not every book needs to be pressed but if you are uneducated then every book you submit should be pressed.  What this will mean is you will have to be selective on which books you get graded (ie keys only).  If a book is only $150 in 9.4 or better then it may not make sense to spend $60 to get a book graded / pressed until you know a bit more.  I'd send any book valued at over $500 in for a press since your gains will probably out-way the cost and learn from there.  You may be looking at it from a collectors stand point but why waste money grading low cost books unless you feel confident in what it will come back at.

Edited by 1Cool

12 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

1. There is no such thing as a "quick" press. There is only proper pressing, and improper pressing.

2. Proper pressing requires far more attention, time, and effort than it currently costs in the "pressing market", in almost every case. 

3. There are bad actors in the pressing market, just like everywhere else...even among those who are "the most respected professionals."

4. You cannot smash, soak, or burn a comic book into submission. 

5. Pressing is not magic. Some things cannot be fixed. 

6. Properly pressed books do not look pressed. This is only achieved through gentle, patient, attentive, gentle, experienced, gentle, and gentle care. Did I mention gentle...?

I had somebody ask who, besides CCS, might I recommend for pressing yesterday. I could not give them an unqualified answer. There was only one other entity I would consider, and that's with substantial caveats. 

Im realizing since coming here to research that the pressing process is not only a very complicated thing to get right but also there are really no right answers to my questions. Thank you and every one else here for helping me to take a step back before just jumping right into this aspect of comic grading. Im going to have one book maybe two pressed only and not anything super important to my collection with ccs, then im going to look into another option and do the same thing with one or two other like books so I have a few books for reference that way I can see/hold some completed books in hand and just take in the results. 

Im also going to take a ton of high res photos before and after for reference. I will post results after im done. Figure it will be some good info for people to look at in the future.

6 minutes ago, 1Cool said:

Lots of questions that would require a lot if typing.  What I will say is not every book needs to be pressed but if you are uneducated then every book you submit should be pressed.  What this will mean is you will have to be selective on which books you get graded (ie keys only).  If a book is only $150 in 9.4 or better then it may not make sense to spend $60 to get a book graded / pressed until you know a bit more.  I'd send any book valued at over $500 in for a press since your gains will probably out-way the cost and learn from there.  You may be looking at it from a collectors stand point but why waste money grading low cost books unless you feel confident in what it will come back at.

Funny.  500 bucks is exactly my cut off point too, because slabbing books is not cheap and it is mildly irritating at best!

3 minutes ago, explosive&kitkat said:

Im realizing since coming here to research that the pressing process is not only a very complicated thing to get right but also there are really no right answers to my questions. Thank you and every one else here for helping me to take a step back before just jumping right into this aspect of comic grading. Im going to have one book maybe two pressed only and not anything super important to my collection with ccs, then im going to look into another option and do the same thing with one or two other like books so I have a few books for reference that way I can see/hold some completed books in hand and just take in the results. 

Im also going to take a ton of high res photos before and after for reference. I will post results after im done. Figure it will be some good info for people to look at in the future.

I would not send in books just for the heck of it!  If you dont have high dollar books send a couple sentimental books in, maybe with a little damage that you would like to see repaired??

9 hours ago, Karl Liebl said:

This debate will never be won on these boards because half of the people adore pressing and half the people hate it.  So far I like it because for me once it goes in the case it is not coming out again, at least by me.  You have guys doing extensive hand wringing "gee, if only it was pressed what grade would it get?"  You have other guys saying "I hate slabbed books!" yet they hang out on the CGC boards! If you want to sell the book eventually there is still a market for both pressed and non pressed.  As for risk... any time the book is handled it could be damaged and that includes shipping as well as pressing.

I had one semi filthy book and CCS pressing was able to take off about half the dirt but not all.  I am happy with the result.

Some people love "plump spines" but after 30 years packed in a box all my books look like pancakes anyways.

Maybe a better question would be "is it worth it to slab all of my books?" and to that I would say no.  You have 9.8 raw books selling on Ebay for 5 bucks, in a case people want 80 bucks, THAT seems silly to me...

Thank you for the info.

The cleaning aspect of ccs pressing is actually more valuable to me and the books I would want work done to then the pressing it self right now. I wish they offered just the cleaning as a option for some books.

I absolutely agree with you and im very selective on what im going to get slabbed, so much so that it has taken me 8 months to get to the point to send in my first submission (I own a large collection of slabs) Anything not golden age with a decent grade or key with a good grade I wont submit. If I want a $100 book badly enough that's slabbed I just buy it slabbed more cost effective most of the time if you due diligence. (accept in certain situations)

Thanks again 

2 hours ago, speedcake said:

Seems more of a “tell me” process than a “learning process” thread hm

Ive been very active since posting this thread and have read/watched anything that has been sent my way as well as reading and browsing other pages ive found associated with the topic... Not exactly sure how else I would be expected to learn.. If you have any advice on research techniques that I should be doing other then reading browsing and chatting with experienced members please be helpful and let me know.