• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

To press or not to press? Pressing info please.

114 posts in this topic

I commend the OP for saying "Thank You" and being gracious. A true rarity for new members who mostly seem to make a lot of noise, ask a million questions, than yell "F-off" as they defiantly disagree with members with tons of experience than"drive by" with a final "F-you" in a cloud of dust. You can see why some get edgy around here.

I think saying "please," "thank you," "yes Sir," and "yes Ma'am" is important for young people today to do. They often don't. When I see a young person on the street I'll pull over and take them aside and practice "thank yous" and "pleases" with them. 

2 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

It's really only happened with these books and a few books I still have in my possession from before I knew about pressing.  The ASM 14's both came back at a 3.5.  When I bought them and from what I paid the price difference was not much different between a 3.5 to a 5.0 let alone a 3.5 to a 4.0.  However they may take a trip to Florida for a couple of months. 

My opinion, leave your 2 books in the slab and submit them to CCS. Worst case, if they think there is no improvement, you will only pay a nominal fee and keep your book in the slab.

back in 2002 I sent in an amazing spider-man#42 and it came back cgc 8.0. I noticed it had some wrinkles on the back cover so about 8 years later I cracked it out had it pressed and sent to cgc. the press did bump it up to 8.5 but the bad part was this time it got a purple label saying slight color touch. I guess nobody is perfect and even cgc misses color touch sometimes but I wish I hadn't cracked it out.

1 hour ago, marino1 said:

back in 2002 I sent in an amazing spider-man#42 and it came back cgc 8.0. I noticed it had some wrinkles on the back cover so about 8 years later I cracked it out had it pressed and sent to cgc. the press did bump it up to 8.5 but the bad part was this time it got a purple label saying slight color touch. I guess nobody is perfect and even cgc misses color touch sometimes but I wish I hadn't cracked it out.

crack it out again

A straight answer that probably sounds sarcastic - grade a book from a scan for good sense of approx. grade after a press/cleaning.  Grade based on physical book held up to light from different angles for a pre-press grade (a few camera views instead of the flattened and smooth appearing visual of a scan).  What it lacks in subtlety it makes up for in simplicity.  And these days many advertise their books using words like "pressable" and 'would grade X after scan.'  Buncha jokers using advanced puffery imo, suggesting buyer should 'pay up' based on theoretical value, and it works hence my peevish tone.

36 minutes ago, NoMan said:

I commend the OP for saying "Thank You" and being gracious. A true rarity for new members who mostly seem to make a lot of noise, ask a million questions, than yell "F-off" as they defiantly disagree with members with tons of experience than"drive by" with a final "F-you" in a cloud of dust. You can see why some get edgy around here.

I think saying "please," "thank you," "yes Sir," and "yes Ma'am" is important for young people today to do. They often don't. When I see a young person on the street I'll pull over and take them aside and practice "thank yous" and "pleases" with them. 

Get off my lawn.

1 hour ago, Bomber-Bob said:

My opinion, leave your 2 books in the slab and submit them to CCS. Worst case, if they think there is no improvement, you will only pay a nominal fee and keep your book in the slab.

I appreciate it but if I do get it pressed there is really only one person I would use but that is not CCS. 

2 hours ago, HuddyBee said:

I pressed spine rolls out of a couple books using an iron, and although everyone here thought I was dumb, it did work! (I also ruined one books as well, nothing of value tho)

I wouldn't actually recommend it, just something fun I tried.

Did you put the iron directly onto the comic, or did you cover the book with a T-shirt first?

aka a poor mans t-shirt press :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, NoMan said:

I want to be a real part of the community and plan to collect comics long term so its like give a little respect and get a lot in return over time if that makes any sense.

Plus with all the dinosaurs around here I need to mind my manners and respect my elders :devil::cool: (just joking)

Honestly its like anything else in life, if its worth doing its worth putting the time into. Im new and coming to you all for a service (knowledge) like with many other things in life you start at the bottom and work your way up earning perks along the way. I dont mind putting in my work and giving respect to the people who are showing me the way that's just how it has worked for years and years. Plus anyone who thinks they can just pop into a community of any kind and just demand what they want without playing by the rules isn't smart enough to get anywhere in my opinion.

Thank you for your time <<<< (edit almost forgot)

Edited by explosive&kitkat

6 hours ago, NoMan said:

hqdefault.jpg&f=1

On 6/18/2019 at 5:48 PM, explosive&kitkat said:

Ok didn't mean to come off like im trying to get other people to do the work for me, im doing the work right now. This morning when I started researching my options for my first submission I took some advice I had gotten that I should come here to the chat boards to find the info I needed. I thought that was what I was supposed to do is ask questions and read and that's what im doing. I really dont want to start off on the wrong foot here but get the feeling this subject might have been bad luck on my end.

They meant for you to search these boards for the subject matter which has been discussed to death. Everything you asked has been covered - a simple google search about it with "CGC Forums" in the search field would have gotten you tons of results. In other words-- continue doing the research until you cannot find an answer to something. Or to really get it-- try checking out the noob thread. We are not trying to be rude about this-- it is just all there already if you do some basic legwork.

One more note about pressing: all of the "this was introduced by pressing" defects can be...and are...caused by other situations. This is why it is foolish to imagine that pressing "can be reliably detected." Yes, it's *likely* that certain defects...such as wavy edges, dimples, "oversaturation" rivulets, and the like...are caused by improper pressing, for sure. But all of those defects, and others, can be caused by natural circumstances as well. I look at a book, and I say "this was pressed"...but that doesn't make it so. 95% probably is not 100%. 

A book tossed under some heavy boxes in the garage, with dirt and exposure to humidity, and left there for a couple of years...and you could easily have a book that looks like it was badly pressed.

14 hours ago, NoMan said:

Manners and politeness are not being properly taught nowadays.

Now, I'm a Grade-A b-hole, but I won't hesitate to thank anyone in the service businesses (food, retail, etc) or if someone holds a door open for me. It's a humane kindness that takes literally no effort if you're raised properly.

I remember way back when I first started reading the boards, maybe even before I joined, pressing talk was taboo. The keys to the kingdom were held by a select few, and no one was talking about how it was done. There was only one video on youtube, the "infidels" thing with the guy in the mask, which was (and probably is) still hilarious. The secrecy was infuriating! Give us the information!

Nowadays, there are literally dozens of pressing videos on youtube, and I'd say that the majority of them are doing it wrong, and are introducing and popularizing dangerous practices. They're cheered on by a gaggle of commenters who are like "Wow, so I can just place the book directly in the waffle iron?? Thanks bro, doing it today!" The blind leading the blind.

What I'm saying is, although it seemed needlessly hushed up at the time, I think we were better off back when it was still a secret cabal thing. 

17 minutes ago, F For Fake said:

I remember way back when I first started reading the boards, maybe even before I joined, pressing talk was taboo. The keys to the kingdom were held by a select few, and no one was talking about how it was done. There was only one video on youtube, the "infidels" thing with the guy in the mask, which was (and probably is) still hilarious. The secrecy was infuriating! Give us the information!

Nowadays, there are literally dozens of pressing videos on youtube, and I'd say that the majority of them are doing it wrong, and are introducing and popularizing dangerous practices. They're cheered on by a gaggle of commenters who are like "Wow, so I can just place the book directly in the waffle iron?? Thanks bro, doing it today!" The blind leading the blind.

What I'm saying is, although it seemed needlessly hushed up at the time, I think we were better off back when it was still a secret cabal thing. 

I imagine the early occurrences of SCS is what triggered CGC to start secretly pressing books in-house.  BSDs books were getting damaged in the slabs, and CGC had to remedy the situation.  It was hush-hush, because prior to this age of encapsulation, “smoothing out wrinkles “ was considered restoration.    CGC had no choice but to go against Overstreet and adopt the “pressing is not restoration” stance.    

Without pressing, CGC would have had no solution to the damage being caused by their holders.

2c

2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

Link?