• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Best way to sell "Expensive" books?

14 posts in this topic

I've sold and bought books online, as well as on these forums in past...never recall selling a single book over $500 though, although I did sell full boxes for around $350 or so.  Nothing too pricey.

I have a few books that I, from time to time, think about selling, but I've heard the horror stories...you ship the book, but receiver states the box was empty and wants a refund.

How do the big guys do it?  If I sold a $10k book, and someone indicated they didn't receive it...well, that's more than I'm willing to risk typically.  What are the closest to foolproof methods of shipping the book, and protecting yourself from a scammer?  I could probably sell locally, but the obvious downsides to that appear...less buyers, likely less money for the sale...but cash in hand transaction.

Be nice if someone had a respectable middleman service everyone could use...aside from an auction house.  I sell the book, and just get a 3rd party to hold the book, until the buyer provides the funds.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

7 minutes ago, SteveMullins said:

I've sold and bought books online, as well as on these forums in past...never recall selling a single book over $500 though, although I did sell full boxes for around $350 or so.  Nothing too pricey.

I have a few books that I, from time to time, think about selling, but I've heard the horror stories...you ship the book, but receiver states the box was empty and wants a refund.

How do the big guys do it?  If I sold a $10k book, and someone indicated they didn't receive it...well, that's more than I'm willing to risk typically.  What are the closest to foolproof methods of shipping the book, and protecting yourself from a scammer?  I could probably sell locally, but the obvious downsides to that appear...less buyers, likely less money for the sale...but cash in hand transaction.

Be nice if someone had a respectable middleman service everyone could use...aside from an auction house.  I sell the book, and just get a 3rd party to hold the book, until the buyer provides the funds.

Thanks for any thoughts and advice!

You can get insurance, or registered shipping, use a private courier.  How much would you be wiling to pay a respectable middleman?  How would you decide if they were respectable?

11 hours ago, revat said:

You can get insurance, or registered shipping, use a private courier.  How much would you be wiling to pay a respectable middleman?  How would you decide if they were respectable?

I have heard that registered shipping just confirms receipt of the package, but if the recipient says the package was empty, it doesn't help.  I think the respectable middleman would have to be someone with a professional reputation within the comic community...I guess I would expect a percentage for doing the work of course.

Would insurance cover a "disappearing" comic?  I thought about video-ing me packing the book, and signing the tape after sealing...then requesting the recipient also video the opening...maybe too much?

43 minutes ago, SteveMullins said:

I have heard that registered shipping just confirms receipt of the package, but if the recipient says the package was empty, it doesn't help.  I think the respectable middleman would have to be someone with a professional reputation within the comic community...I guess I would expect a percentage for doing the work of course.

Would insurance cover a "disappearing" comic?  I thought about video-ing me packing the book, and signing the tape after sealing...then requesting the recipient also video the opening...maybe too much?

Packages are weighed. You can also record yourself sealing the package, driving to the PO, and handing the package over (with confirmation of the tracking number) if you're that paranoid.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:15 PM, MadGenius said:

Anything you're selling over $1k I would consign with MyComicshop, ComicLInk, etc. Not worth the potential headache to deal with the sale on your own.

Have you ever consigned with either of them?  I agree on the headache part...if they do it, might be the way to go.  I didn't know they did consignments.

12 minutes ago, SteveMullins said:

Have you ever consigned with either of them?  I agree on the headache part...if they do it, might be the way to go.  I didn't know they did consignments.

Oh, Hel yeah. They have tons of consignments on eBay. If you request a fair price for a good book - it'll sell. They have a great reputation. Their own site is also excellent.

I consigned my  5.0 AF 15 to Bob Storms at High Grade comics. He drove out of my driveway with it. Look for a commission rate around 7.75%. Use a reputable dealer and establishing who that might be takes some research.  High value consigned books should really be slabbed and you really should have an agreed to value in writing. 

Edited by Glassman10
clarity

On 6/25/2019 at 11:25 AM, TwoPiece said:

Oh, Hel yeah. They have tons of consignments on eBay. If you request a fair price for a good book - it'll sell. They have a great reputation. Their own site is also excellent.

Which one?  MCS, CC (or CL) or have you used & been happy with both?

Just now, csaag said:

Which one?  MCS, CC (or CL) or have you used & been happy with both?

I don't sell comics, so I cannot speak to that aspect.

As far as buying goes - MCS is excellent. I simply notice that there are consignments that the owner has requested ridiculous prices. I.e. Superman #75 CGC SS for $600... That'll never sell at that price.

On 6/25/2019 at 11:11 AM, SteveMullins said:

I've sold some expensive CGC graded books on Comiclink. They have several different options available. There's a certain anonymity that I prefer when selling books worth over 1k. I've never had any problems when dealing with them, either...

On 6/19/2019 at 4:00 AM, SteveMullins said:

Registered shipping is handled with upmost security with the post office. Every time it exchanges hands or locations it has to be signed for by the delivery driver or clerk, then the carrier has to sign out for it for delivery. Now if it goes out of country or is coming from outside of the USA, then there could be problems as it is out of the post offices hands. If I was selling anything over $3000 I would send Registered.