• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just when you thought Chuck couldn't surprise you more
3 3

61 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Tony S said:

It's a long'ish story why so I won't go into it. But over 25 years ago I was asked to interview Chuck for a possible story in the Overstreet Comic Book Monthly. 

I talked to him for maybe an hour. And went back to Bob & Gary Carter and said "I can't write anything that makes any sense. He's just messing with me."  The only things I really learned was that 1) He claimed there was a lot about the Edgar Church Collection he had never talked about and 2) He really enjoyed and felt he was better known in the Denver area for his truck farm - fruits and veggies. 

Chuck is someone that intends to sell his own story, press his own narrative. And probably makes up a bunch of both as he goes along. So whatever you talk about with Chuck, you might not really be learning much about Chuck.  It's the Chuck at that moment. 

I have over the years enjoyed some of his missives from Mile High. The multi part series on the huge warehouse purchase of books with the mob connection was fascinating stuff.  

But I don't think anyone really knows Chuck's story - and that's how he wants it. 

I noticed this too.  He didnt seem to want to answer questions and was in a hurry to get to his gay rights meeting.

Just now, dupont2005 said:

The next morning you find a check for $2500 and your collection is gone

:whatthe:

I never knew anything about his dressing up and this just proves that  you can learn something every day. Not that I really care I never bought from him anyway and Seinfeld had the best response. "Not that there is anything wrong with it".

The only thing that concerns me is i think I own a jacket that is a little similar to the one the blond is wearing (mine did not come with a hot pink dress underneath). I have never worn it and now think I might have to move that to the "give this away because you will never wear it" pile.

4 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

I never knew anything about his dressing up and this just proves that  you can learn something every day. Not that I really care I never bought from him anyway and Seinfeld had the best response. "Not that there is anything wrong with it".

The only thing that concerns me is i think I own a jacket that is a little similar to the one the blond is wearing (mine did not come with a hot pink dress underneath). I have never worn it and now think I might have to move that to the "give this away because you will never wear it" pile.

Sharon I am in total agreement on the Seinfeld line.  He is not hurting anyone, live and let live.

I just think the dress that he has on doesn't really go with the earthy,  crunchy, live off the land persona that he usually has. :smile:

tenor.gif

Edited by toro

2 hours ago, toro said:

Sharon I am in total agreement on the Seinfeld line.  He is not hurting anyone, live and let live.

I just think the dress that he has on doesn't really go with the earthy,  crunchy, live off the land persona that he usually has. :smile:

tenor.gif

Ernie, there is a very nice former gentleman who I met a number of times at the Chicago Convention. He wears a flowered dress that I think Donna Reed might have liked in the 50's, it's not flattering and not in great shape. I had thought once or twice about offering to take him shopping, but I didn't really know him well enough.

Part of the problem is, if you don't grow up dressing as one gender, it might not be as simple as you think.  It's also (depending on where you live) not so comfortable for a guy to go into a woman's store and try on clothes. I learned this when I sold some of my high heels on eBay a zillion years ago and it seemed that a lot of men were "buying them for their wives"  and I finally asked one of them...that really was an eye opener for me.

I grew up in NYC, went to an art school with plenty of different types of people, but never really thought about WHERE they would get the clothes they wore (especially if they didn't happen to have a close female friend or relative who would shop with them).

If you are going to dress up, denim doesn't really cut it, so I get the idea and it's fine. Besides if we all liked the same stuff, it would be pretty boring watching every one wearing purple ever day;) As long as he's happy.

8 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Ernie, there is a very nice former gentleman who I met a number of times at the Chicago Convention. He wears a flowered dress that I think Donna Reed might have liked in the 50's, it's not flattering and not in great shape. I had thought once or twice about offering to take him shopping, but I didn't really know him well enough.

Part of the problem is, if you don't grow up dressing as one gender, it might not be as simple as you think.  It's also (depending on where you live) not so comfortable for a guy to go into a woman's store and try on clothes. I learned this when I sold some of my high heels on eBay a zillion years ago and it seemed that a lot of men were "buying them for their wives"  and I finally asked one of them...that really was an eye opener for me.

I grew up in NYC, went to an art school with plenty of different types of people, but never really thought about WHERE they would get the clothes they wore (especially if they didn't happen to have a close female friend or relative who would shop with them).

If you are going to dress up, denim doesn't really cut it, so I get the idea and it's fine. Besides if we all liked the same stuff, it would be pretty boring watching every one wearing purple ever day;) As long as he's happy.

I've seen this same person probably 30 times at shows over the last 20 years. It's literally always the same dress. Not sure if there are multiples of the same dress or if it truly is just the same one over and over, but it has never changed. They've been by the booth a few times and seem to be a longtime and fairly knowledgeable collector. This person is only notable in my opinion because it's been the same dress for decades. 

Fun fact: Another person that I've seen at least that many times over the last 20-30 years at shows also wears the same clothes over and over. Neal Adams decided on blue collared shirt and slacks a long time ago and hasn't looked back. Again, I can't confirm if he has a closet full or if it's just the same well preserved shirt for many years.

Edited by Real Elijah Snow

3 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

Ernie, there is a very nice former gentleman who I met a number of times at the Chicago Convention.  She He wears a flowered dress that I think Donna Reed might have liked in the 50's, it's not flattering and not in great shape.

Michelle Nolan

48 minutes ago, MrBedrock said:

Michelle Nolan

I knew his/her name, I was trying to be discreet;)

I am pretty sure I was first introduced to him/her when he was still Michael Nolan, he was wearing the dress, but I'm pretty sure that was the name, but it might just be the name my brain associates with him/her.

I've called him/her by that name in error, mostly because the voice seems to trigger that name in my memory. I'm fairly certain he refers to himself as a she, because he's told me he's a Lesbian a few times. I was looking at GGA each time and he inquired if I was a Lesbian (because I guess straight women are not supposed to like GGA;). I told him each time I was not, and that I was married to a male.  I'm not sure a guy would be a Lesbian but I have not done any kind of extensive research, so I am not sure.   I have apologized when I said the wrong name in error, because that's what it was, an error.

It's the same dress, the holes were always in the same place and it would be awfully hard to find a duplicate. He's pretty tall, not by your standards, but much taller than the average female was in the 50's;) 

24 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I knew his/her name, I was trying to be discreet;)

I am pretty sure I was first introduced to him/her when he was still Michael Nolan, he was wearing the dress, but I'm pretty sure that was the name, but it might just be the name my brain associates with him/her.

I've called him/her by that name in error, mostly because the voice seems to trigger that name in my memory. I'm fairly certain he refers to himself as a she, because he's told me he's a Lesbian a few times. I was looking at GGA each time and he inquired if I was a Lesbian (because I guess straight women are not supposed to like GGA;). I told him each time I was not, and that I was married to a male.  I'm not sure a guy would be a Lesbian but I have not done any kind of extensive research, so I am not sure.   I have apologized when I said the wrong name in error, because that's what it was, an error.

It's the same dress, the holes were always in the same place and it would be awfully hard to find a duplicate. He's pretty tall, not by your standards, but much taller than the average female was in the 50's;) 

She has been mentioned many times on the boards, especially in the golden age section. She has more knowledge about comics than most folks who post here, has written books and had articles published frequently in various trade publications and she is always very open about her gender identity. Discretion is not much of an issue in that regard, but I certainly understand your concern.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

I was looking at GGA each time and he inquired if I was a Lesbian (because I guess straight women are not supposed to like GGA;).

when you're done gender bustin, Sha, got some nice romance for ya  :foryou:

On 6/19/2019 at 6:53 AM, lizards2 said:

You're off the float.  You can still be in the parade, but you'll have to walk.

That's Duck code for:

Ok, You're a bottom.  Something Liz 'might be' exquisitely familiar with.  Not that there's anything wrong with Duck code.

13 hours ago, skypinkblu said:

maybe you could inflate the price by 10-20 times and sell it to Chuck as a back-up!!  :roflmao:

2 minutes ago, oakman29 said:

You have to smoke a LOT of peyote to get to that point.

Chuck doesnt think its a lot just like he doesnt think he asks a lot for his books-