• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Immortal Hulk actually that good?

38 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, I like pie said:

I couldn't get into it but a lot of people rave about it. I'm sure many trying to pump and dump as well.

I feel like a lot of the people who rave about it aren't pumping and dumping.  From what I've seen on /r/Marvel, it's widely considered one of the better Marvel books at the moment.  That's a community largely of casual readers...not collectors, not re-sellers.

I personally enjoy it.  I do wish the art was better, but Al Ewing's writing lends itself to a sort of gravitas.  I love how the first page of each issue is this sort of deep introspective thought.  It's really unlike anything else Marvel is putting out at the moment because it doesn't necessarily read like your stereotypical comic book (compared to books like ASM or Avengers).

Also, this topic seems it would be better suited in the thread linked below.

To me, the interesting part is the surrounding cast rather than Hulk.

Especially how they are bringing back a lot of the cast from the last 50 years in a newer fashion. 

Getting tired of how he can be gutted to the core and it doesn't matter.  

Patrick

22 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I feel like a lot of the people who rave about it aren't pumping and dumping.  From what I've seen on /r/Marvel, it's widely considered one of the better Marvel books at the moment.  That's a community largely of casual readers...not collectors, not re-sellers.

I personally enjoy it.  I do wish the art was better, but Al Ewing's writing lends itself to a sort of gravitas.  I love how the first page of each issue is this sort of deep introspective thought.  It's really unlike anything else Marvel is putting out at the moment because it doesn't necessarily read like your stereotypical comic book (compared to books like ASM or Avengers).

Also, this topic seems it would be better suited in the thread linked below.

Don't like the art? Must be a Liefeld fan...

1.jpg

3 hours ago, ygogolak said:

Don't like the art? Must be a Liefeld fan...

1.jpg

I'm more of a Keown/Frank Hulk fan.  My issue has more to do with the many panels where Hulk is weakened and looks like he's melting.  But I guess a lot of people have described it as a horror story and the art (as you depicted) really matches a book of that genre.

image.thumb.png.6dd15981b27a4c81b0ab03a022a83457.png

3 hours ago, ExNihilo said:

I'm more of a Keown/Frank Hulk fan.  My issue has more to do with the many panels where Hulk is weakened and looks like he's melting.  But I guess a lot of people have described it as a horror story and the art (as you depicted) really matches a book of that genre.

image.thumb.png.6dd15981b27a4c81b0ab03a022a83457.png

But in the story he IS weakened and melting away by opponents a few times ...   

The funny thing about is is that I didn't realize "Immortal Hulk" wasn't really a new book, but just a renumbered and renamed continuation of the original Incredible Hulk series from 1962. I never would have picked it up if it was labeled "Incredible Hulk 718," so I guess Marvel's strategy is working on me.

3 hours ago, SBRobin said:

The funny thing about is is that I didn't realize "Immortal Hulk" wasn't really a new book, but just a renumbered and renamed continuation of the original Incredible Hulk series from 1962. I never would have picked it up if it was labeled "Incredible Hulk 718," so I guess Marvel's strategy is working on me.

It's just legacy numbering. It's there way of pleasing the purists while being able to get a reboot.

On ‎6‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:42 PM, fastballspecial said:

Its just different from your normal comic book. I commend the writer for taking the chance that has paid 
off.

I feel sorry for fans as Speculation will ruin this book. Even Marvel is launching an Immortal Hulk 
Cover variant month. I have lost track of all the variants for Hulk 20.

I don't agree with this. The speculation has died down on the series but the writing and artwork to me is just as strong now as the first few issues. 

2 hours ago, Bighaley21 said:
On 6/19/2019 at 8:42 PM, fastballspecial said:

Its just different from your normal comic book. I commend the writer for taking the chance that has paid 
off.

I feel sorry for fans as Speculation will ruin this book. Even Marvel is launching an Immortal Hulk 
Cover variant month. I have lost track of all the variants for Hulk 20.

I don't agree with this. The speculation has died down on the series but the writing and artwork to me is just as strong now as the first few issues. 

Fair enough. Count the variants Hulk 20 Variant

I think the book is great, I would just hate to be a fan because of the above.

It is definitely different.  More horror than hero.  It is one of my 5 monthly pulls at the moment.  The current spec and sales on the earlier issues is a bit confusing.  I can't see them sustaining. 

9 hours ago, ExNihilo said:
9 hours ago, fastballspecial said:

Fair enough. Count the variants Hulk 20 Variant

I think the book is great, I would just hate to be a fan because of the above.

The only ones worth getting are the Alex Ross variants.

Yeah I don't get that either. Ross used to be it for covers and for years he just kinda meandered along until
recently he is a hit again. Weird.

I think he has definitely revived his career from this book.

Edited by fastballspecial

1 hour ago, fastballspecial said:

Yeah I don't get that either. Ross used to be it for covers and for years he just kinda meandered along until
recently he is a hit again. Weird.

I think he has definitely revived his career from this book.

I haven't paid attention to the variant market until recently, but I get this sense that we're seeing more variant covers than at any other point in the last 10-15 years.  Perhaps Ross is just trying to take advantage of the variant market while its still hot same as all the other artists out there.  I'm just glad that he's doing regular covers as well.  Part of the reason why Immortal Hulk and Captain America are on my sub list are because of Ross' covers.