• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Curious if anyone has ever seen this Batman piece as a published cover or splash?
1 1

3 posts in this topic

does it have all that page info like OA pages always have in bluline?  Otherwise looks like commission piece

^Nope.

Mike, I'm sure you are very aware, and have already ignored Kav, but for any other readers, many MANY artists work on their own materials rather than standard supplied art board.
Take Bruce Timm, father of the "animated" Batman art style. Likes to work on plain 8 1/2" x 11" paper mostly. Doesn't even use art board for most of his Animated covers, and they are generally smaller than most comic art originals.

No markings. No stamps. Nothing but his hands on the page.

There are countless examples of artists and published OA that way.

I can look when I get home, but there was a time in the late 90s when DC was putting out a BUNCH of Animated styled product that wasn't traditional comics. Kids books, Colorforms, puzzles, records/tapes, game sets, etc and so on. Lots of merchandising.
I can't think of this being on one of the main runs of animated comics (Timm, Burchett, Levins, Smith, Templeton, etc.)  but it wouldn't surprise me if it was used on one of those kids books or some other product though. There were a number done by folks like Bret Blevins and a bunch of folks I'd never heard of.

I'll keep my eyes open.

a34a037c731b416ad039ab2864ee1ecc.jpg