• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

PGM Xmen 134. Might not be what I thought.

18 posts in this topic

Hi all...please assist. I had bought this high grade copy but could not see the flaws in the sellers pictures. I'm debating full refund or how much to ask for back. I put the sellers advertised grade in the spoiler tag. Thanks if you can attempt to grade it. I highlighted flaws. The back cover is pretty much good. Multiple non color breaking spine tics. Non color break ripple by Phoenix face, and color breaking crease lower right front cover.

Spoiler...do not read until after you grade it please.

Spoiler

Seller said it was a 9.4...is he right? If not what grade is this book in your opinion? 

Screenshot_20190619-144901_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190619-144918_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190619-144723_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190619-144659_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190619-144706_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20190619-144715_eBay.jpg

Edited by jason4

21 minutes ago, Mijael.Levy said:

Cant see much , you should post full scans but from i can see its probably a 7.0

Yikes that's really below what seller said it was. I don't have a scanner :( the 1st two pics were the listing.

Edited by jason4

The main problem is the color break crease on the lower corner. There are two i think... Some VF- can present that defect but this book seems to have more defects like the spine creases and probably more . So by the acumulation of defects i think its a 7.0 

Edited by Mijael.Levy

Definitely not NM

As mentioned above the corner crease kills it. 7.5 at best for me.

As for recourse, it depends. If I got a good deal and just bought to have I wouldn’t care. If I paid NM prices and had intentions of grading it or whatever based on that I think I would look to return or at least get a partial refund. 

So I told the seller after getting multiple opinions on the grade and after my own thoughts on it I would like a full refund and will send him the book back. He offered me 20 dollars to keep it (I paid 185.00) so I said no, this is closer to a 7 or 8 tops not even close to 9.4. 

He goes on to question my grading skills and if I had a professional grader grade it. Then he says that his listing clearly stated "not a professional grader, near mint not guaranteed so no refund" despite 9.4 being in the title. Here is the

listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-134-First-appearance-Of-DARK-PHOENIX-NM-Rare-Newsstand-Edition/223529975750?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I kindly said, I will be getting a refund through Ebay buyer protection. He says fine but he will still charge me a 15% restocking fee. Lol! I hate people. 

I called Ebay and they said he cant do that don't worry. Book is on it's way back today and I should be getting the full 185 back. Sigh. I guarantee he will resell the book without the close ups of all the damage I posted and still call it a 9.4.

Edited by jason4

On 6/21/2019 at 3:58 AM, jason4 said:

So I told the seller after getting multiple opinions on the grade and after my own thoughts on it I would like a full refund and will send him the book back. He offered me 20 dollars to keep it (I paid 185.00) so I said no, this is closer to a 7 or 8 tops not even close to 9.4. 

He goes on to question my grading skills and if I had a professional grader grade it. Then he says that his listing clearly stated "not a professional grader, near mint not guaranteed so no refund" despite 9.4 being in the title. Here is the

listing: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Uncanny-X-Men-134-First-appearance-Of-DARK-PHOENIX-NM-Rare-Newsstand-Edition/223529975750?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I kindly said, I will be getting a refund through Ebay buyer protection. He says fine but he will still charge me a 15% restocking fee. Lol! I hate people. 

I called Ebay and they said he cant do that don't worry. Book is on it's way back today and I should be getting the full 185 back. Sigh. I guarantee he will resell the book without the close ups of all the damage I posted and still call it a 9.4.

The link in your post takes me to a page that says it is a 9.2 and only sold for $120 and the ad says nothing about "not a professional grader, near mint not guaranteed so no refund".  Although the title matches the wording in the link you provided.

image.thumb.png.d370ac45a97bd4b784c64244e90eb0e8.png

Edited by aszumilo

13 hours ago, aszumilo said:

The link in your post takes me to a page that says it is a 9.2 and only sold for $120 and the ad says nothing about "not a professional grader, near mint not guaranteed so no refund".  Although the title matches the wording in the link you provided.

image.thumb.png.d370ac45a97bd4b784c64244e90eb0e8.png

Not sure why it's doing that. Screen shot directly from my purchases:

Screenshot_20190623-161049_eBay.thumb.jpg.231da6fae6b31e67c85a4ed219ef7a05.jpg

Message he posted in the return trying to say I caused the damage if there is any so he gets a restocking fee.  People are such liars. Ebay will give me full refund I'm not worried.

20190623_161336.jpg

2 hours ago, jason4 said:

Not sure why it's doing that. Screen shot directly from my purchases:

Screenshot_20190623-161049_eBay.thumb.jpg.231da6fae6b31e67c85a4ed219ef7a05.jpg

Think you somehow grabbed the wrong link, is all I can think of.

This one looks like the right auction

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-MEN-134-HIGH-GRADE-NM-9-4-1ST-APPEARANCE-DARK-PHOENIX-MOVIE-OUT-NO-CGC-/202696924595?hash=item2f31ad9db3%3Ag%3A174AAOSwiJVc4J2U&nma=true&si=ZtkrrWNzMU3AzVcyNPowBZ0ZBSI%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The seller is behaving like an arse, the book is overgraded and you certainly deserve the full refund. That's all on him.

The flip side is, you rolled the dice on a raw book that was poorly photographed and a seller that was already claiming 'not guaranteed' and 'no returns on raw books' in their lengthy disclaimer... there's a better than average chance of a headache with all that in play. Something to think about next time around.  :foryou:

I see that you've already returned the book but after the fact I was thinking 7.5 to 8. My policy on ebay purchases is to ignore stated grades. I closely examine pictures. There've been many times I've looked at books listed as NM, but there are only two pictures posted with the auction which can't be enlarged clearly. They look like they're NM but I don't pull the trigger. Another pet peeve and a no buy for me, pictures of the book still bagged and boarded with the light glare right on the spine. I'm sure I've missed out on some books that were truly NM at a reasonable price, but I'm sure I've dodged a few bullets such as your case as well. I pretty much always get what I've paid for. Good luck.

I buy graded books on e bay generally unless its super cheap and I want to roll the dice.