Is my Daredevil #1 a .5 or a 1.0 if graded?
3 3

25 posts in this topic

77 posts
Posted (edited)

First time posting a topic on the CGC forums here! I have a question regarding the condition of my Daredevil #1, and am sending it to get it graded and slabbed. I paid $200 for the comic, despite being low-grade. I am wondering whether the comic is considered a .5 or a 1.0. I apologize for not having interior pictures of the comic, I am trying to be cautious and try to preserve its current condition. Some important factors to mention are:

-The cover is detached from the staples

-The comic has all its pages

-It has its original staples, and they have not rusted 

What do you think the grade could come out to be? I'm curious to hear other people's opinions!

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

Edited by BigDaddy1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 post

Cool book, defects are kinda obvious for this one but I'd rate it 1.0, possibly 1.5. Be careful when shipping it! Good luck. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,577 posts
2 hours ago, BigDaddy1 said:

First time posting a topic on the CGC forums here! I have a question regarding the condition of my Daredevil #1, and am sending it to get it graded and slabbed. I paid $200 for the comic, despite being low-grade. I am wondering whether the comic is considered a .5 or a 1.0. I apologize for not having interior pictures of the comic, I am trying to be cautious and try to preserve its current condition. Some important factors to mention are:

-The cover is detached from the staples

-The comic has all its pages, according to my comic dealer (and yes I trust the business)

-It has its original staples, and they have not rusted 

What do you think the grade could come out to be? I'm curious to hear other people's opinions!

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1714.JPG

What s cool comic! Someone read and loved that thing. I say good buy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26,874 posts
2 hours ago, BigDaddy1 said:

The comic has all its pages, according to my comic dealer (and yes I trust the business)

You didn't do a page count and check for clipped coupons, detached centerfold or other damage? how do you know its all there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
77 posts
27 minutes ago, DR.X said:

You didn't do a page count and check for clipped coupons, detached centerfold or other damage? how do you know its all there?

I've been going to the owner's shop for 6 years now, I do trust him in what he says and sells. I know usually collectors don't do that, but he has been honest to me with serious purchases like this one. Any other shop I would have asked otherwise. And I did check the interiors (very carefully), all the pages are there and there is no detached interior pages, are about tear free, and no missing coupons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49,595 posts

1.0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
77 posts
6 hours ago, Readcomix said:

Since it's complete, and as long as the cover is not completely split, 1.0 seems the likely grade to me too. 

Luckily the cover is not entirely split, its still attached in the middle area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,149 posts

I'm pretty sure I've seen books with completely detached AND split covers still get a 1.0, if the cover presents well enough. Looks like a 1.0 to me. Nice buy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
982 posts

First let me say, Nice "Well Loved" Book!!!  :cloud9:   :applause:

IMO this book is a FR/GD 1.5.

Brought back memories for me when you mentioned low grade/$200.00, I found one about 15 years ago in worse shape (I graded it as a FR 1.0) for $50.00 so with inflation it is about the same price, I thought I was the only one that would give a book like that a home.

Over the last two years DD #1 in FR. 1.0 has been selling for $275.00 - $325.00 in eBay auctions.

1.5 FAIR/GOOD (FR/GD):  Back to Top
Shows substantial to heavy wear. Books in this grade are commonly creased, scuffed, abraded, soiled, and possibly unattractive, but still generally readable. Cover shows considerable wear and may be detached. Almost no cover reflectivity remaining. Book-length creases, tears and folds may be present. Rounded corners are increasingly common. Soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing is generally present. Up to 1/10 of the back cover may be missing. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are increasingly common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is common. May have a spine split between 2" and 2/3 the length of the book. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Staple tears and stress lines are common, as well as rust migration. Paper is brown and may show brittleness around the edges. Acidic odor may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Interior tears are common.

21si77.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
77 posts
9 hours ago, marvelmaniac said:

First let me say, Nice "Well Loved" Book!!!  :cloud9:   :applause:

IMO this book is a FR/GD 1.5.

Brought back memories for me when you mentioned low grade/$200.00, I found one about 15 years ago in worse shape (I graded it as a FR 1.0) for $50.00 so with inflation it is about the same price, I thought I was the only one that would give a book like that a home.

Over the last two years DD #1 in FR. 1.0 has been selling for $275.00 - $325.00 in eBay auctions.

1.5 FAIR/GOOD (FR/GD):  Back to Top
Shows substantial to heavy wear. Books in this grade are commonly creased, scuffed, abraded, soiled, and possibly unattractive, but still generally readable. Cover shows considerable wear and may be detached. Almost no cover reflectivity remaining. Book-length creases, tears and folds may be present. Rounded corners are increasingly common. Soiling, staining, discoloration and foxing is generally present. Up to 1/10 of the back cover may be missing. Tape and other forms of amateur repair are increasingly common in Silver Age and older books. Spine roll is common. May have a spine split between 2" and 2/3 the length of the book. Staples may be degraded, replaced or missing. Staple tears and stress lines are common, as well as rust migration. Paper is brown and may show brittleness around the edges. Acidic odor may be present. Centerfold may be loose or detached. Interior tears are common.

21si77.jpg

Nice story that you shared, and thanks for the info as well! I usually collect mainly Spider-Man comics, but I couldn't pass up this opportunity. I was definitely happy to get this comic! And your comic definitely looks hammered and "well loved" as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,018 posts
Posted (edited)

I feel it will grade higher than a 1.0. Since its complete and the spine is not completely split, I believe it will grade at 1.8.

Edited by flashlites

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
77 posts

Book has been sent in, I'll let you all know what the grade comes back as in about a month. Thanks for your input everyone!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3