• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Core Silver age titles

27 posts in this topic

I'm curious about what other forum members think about what the core titles of the Marvel Silver age are and why they will always remain the most collected comics. Iron man Spider-man Thor the FF and Avengers titles I think won't matter if the TV/ movie related comics crash they will keep their value and place in comic history. In my opinion speculators are ruining the fun of collecting comics, everything is fair game even the dollar bins. I have to confess I've been a comic reader for over 50 years yet a lot of these characters mentioned for TV and movies I've never heard off..The .Eternal's who? Even Dr Strange struggled to find it's feet compared to the big boys mainly because he did not appear on the cover, I could be wrong but this is a only supposing theory.(thumbsu    

I think the real GA and SA keys might have a slight movie bump in price/demand right now, but it’s mostly stuff that was in a dollar bin five years ago that the speculators are falling all over themselves for, hoping Shatterstar is the next Hulk or something. Kind of surprised people aren’t going nuts for Jubilee’s first a[pears delicious yet. Just wait until Selena Gomez plays her on the new Netflix show 

5 hours ago, FineCollector said:

Thor is not a core title, it's been stagnant for years.  Movie speculation has highlighted a handful of issues, but few people appreciate Kirby's work on the title, even now.

I thought the question was about what are the core titles from the silver age -- which imo Thor is most definitely a top 5 title - for as many issues as the FF were in my mind (FF 1-80 were pretty much excellent stuff while Thor 83-170 had the same appeal).

Sorry-- Thor has always been my favorite character-- reading that was tough. I am saying the current title is anything worth reading (I don't collect anything beyond the 1970s although I added my run up to 343). Stagnant for years (decades?) seems the norm for most Marvel titles but I am obviously biased by my 12 year old collecting mentality.

Thor is my #2 title, but I don't think the collecting world generally agrees with us, Dude. I only have experience with low to mid grade raw books, but I'm always surprised how cheaply non-"key" issues of Thor can be had.

It was sooo good. SA Spidey, FF, and Thor are the best titles to read. (Honorable mention to Dr. Strange and Cap.)

5 hours ago, 01TheDude said:

I thought the question was about what are the core titles from the silver age -- which imo Thor is most definitely a top 5 title - for as many issues as the FF were in my mind (FF 1-80 were pretty much excellent stuff while Thor 83-170 had the same appeal)

I collect in midgrade, so that skews my view a little bit, but I've never quite understood the lack of interest in the hero runs of the pre-hero titles (JIM, TOS, TTA, and Strange Tales).  I just find that Amazing Spidey, Fantastic Four, and maybe X-Men are the only titles a large number of people seem to still be making runs of.

Oops I forgot to mention the X-men and Hulk, thanks TwoPiece,  as for Daredevil his comic only came on the radar when the tv series hit the screens even though it deserves to be classed along with the rest but was over shadowed for years much the same as Dr Strange.(thumbsu

20 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Oops I forgot to mention the X-men and Hulk, thanks TwoPiece,  as for Daredevil his comic only came on the radar when the tv series hit the screens even though it deserves to be classed along with the rest but was over shadowed for years much the same as Dr Strange.(thumbsu

Not true.  In the late '70s when Miller was on the run Daredevil and Claremont's X-Men were the big 2.  That said for the real silver age stories and significance ASM and FF were the two.  

27 minutes ago, tv horror said:

Obviously, because of my youth, I have no idea what was "in" during the Silver Age. lol

I would classify Daredevil as a core Marvel SA title today, though. :)

:pullhair:

I wish he'd make appearances in the MCU, now. He could replace Black Widow as one of the least-useful Avengers. lol

1 hour ago, tv horror said:

Please go sit in the corner for 30 minutes and think about what you just said.

All of Marvel’s 60s output is a core title for me, except for the westerns and romance. There’s only about 8 of them until ’68:

Amazing Spider-man, Avengers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Strange Tales, Tales of Suspense, Tales to Astonish, Journey Into Mystery/Thor, X-Men.

Not sure where I stand on Sgt. Fury. I;m only interested in about the first 20 issues, so I suppose I wouldn’t consider it a core title, though he’s an important character.

2 hours ago, TwoPiece said:

"Core" Marvel Silver Age Titles IMO:

• Captain America
  • Daredevil
  • Doctor Strange
  • Fantastic Four
  • Iron Man
  • The Amazing Spider-Man
  • The Avengers
  • The Incredible Hulk
  • Thor
  • X-Men

Don't ask me why.

I kind of agree on most of those titles for my list of Core Silver but the only one that I didn't really know about was Doctor Strange, growing up I knew the rest X-Men and Spiderman were my favorite next to batman and Superman

For me the "Core" titles are the "early/first" Marvel "Super Hero" titles (1964 and earlier), those are the books I collected as a kid from 64-69 and what I started re-collecting in 79 when I got back into this hobby, everything after that as far as I am concerned is a "Johnny Come Lately" and I have no real interest in those. (I did however follow/collect the ROM storyline when I got back into the hobby)

The Core titles for me were and still are...

Amazing Spider-Man, Avengers, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, Journey Into Mystery (and Thor), Incredible Hulk (1-6), Strange Tales (up to 134), Tales Of Suspense, Tales To Astonish, X-Men. (I never really had an interest in Sgt.Fury)

When TOS/TTA ended in 68 and Cap, Iron Man, Hulk, Sub-Mariner got their own titles I only collected Iron Man and Hulk and that was short lived, when I got back into collecting in 79 Incredible Hulk was the only one of the four I was interested in, probably because Hulk was an "original" title and Hulk crossed over into my other favorite books such as Avengers and F.F.

2 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

I had high grade runs of 60s Thor, daredevil, tta and  tos when I was doing shows in the 90s and no one wanted them even under guide. Even avengers was slow. It’s definitely a more recent trend. 

Well, who in the Hel would want that trash in the 90's with all of those foil variants being printed!?

1 hour ago, shiverbones said:

I had high grade runs of 60s Thor, daredevil, tta and  tos when I was doing shows in the 90s and no one wanted them even under guide. Even avengers was slow. It’s definitely a more recent trend. 

Yeah that was the decade that those heroes were out of favor.  It would be interesting to put together a list of top Marvel heroes by decade.  e.g.

Top 5 heroes/groups of the 60's

Spider-Man

Fantastic Four

Thor

Daredevil

Hulk

Top 5 heroes/groups of the 70's

Conan

Howard the Duck?

???  (Before my time collecting, cant find info on Comichron)

Top 5 heroes/groups of the 80's

X-Men

Daredevil

Hulk

Spider-man

Top 5 heroes/groups of the 90's

X-Men

Spider-man

Wolverine

Punisher

Top 5 heroes/groups of the 00's

??? (After my time, can't be bothered on looking it up on Comichron)

Top 5 heroes/groups of the 10's

Ironman

Captain America

Avengers

Thor

Hulk

(This is just a gut feeling with no data backing it up due to MCU)

Edited by thunsicker