• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for someone to restore painted cover.

8 posts in this topic

I know Robert Dennis does comic art restoration. I am looking for something slightly different. I am looking for someone to restore my cover for New Teen Titans #9 by Eduardo Barreto. The only painted cover that he did for the series or any published comic (but I could be wrong). Its done on heavy artboard and when I bought it some years ago some of the paint had come off. Plus the lower corner has water damage and mold. Water damage and mold is just in the lower right. Does anyone have a recommendation for someone who can restore the painting? He is a scan with the problem areas highlighted, red and blue for paint and purple for the mold.

NTT_9_cover_fix.jpg

Afraid I don't, but if you haven't spoken already, I think I'd ask Robert Dennis about it anyway. Even if it's out of his wheelhouse, I think he might have thoughts on who would be able to help?
Especially as being a trained painter is different than being a restoration artist. I know of a few restoration folks, but they deal mainly in historic restorations of fine art oil on linen, and photography type pieces.

I can't think of any restoration painters that deal in this kind of work, off hand. Do you happen to know if the work is in acrylic, gouache, tempra, oils (not likely based on the look) or some form of mixed medias like colored pencil over watercolor and gouache, etc?
Depending on the medium used, blending it could be a tough ask. I'm sure there are a number of painters out there that could try and help with the color touch up work, but I don't know of any that could help with the mold anyway. Might even need to be a 2-stop process?

I wouldn’t recommend having anyone repaint.    Just send to a paper conservator that can stabilize the mold.   What they might recommend is peeling the top layer of art board off and applying it to a new board.   I’ve seen that done on paintings on artboard that were really siginificantly water damaged and it worked like a charm

Edited by Bronty

Call/visit your closest fine art museum/school and "ask"...there are plenty of professionally trained folks part-timing this sort of work that are always looking for business.

Comic folks should be your last stop, if at all, not your first.

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

I wouldn’t recommend having anyone repaint.    Just send to a paper conservator that can stabilize the mold.   What they might recommend is peeling the top layer of art board off and applying it to a new board.   I’ve seen that done on paintings on art board that were really significantly water damaged and it worked like a charm

How much would it cost?

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

I wouldn’t recommend having anyone repaint.    Just send to a paper conservator that can stabilize the mold.   What they might recommend is peeling the top layer of art board off and applying it to a new board.   I’ve seen that done on paintings on artboard that were really siginificantly water damaged and it worked like a charm

Its just in the lower corner doesnt really effect the board. Its the mold I worry about more.