aren't they mispronouncing Submariner?

24 posts in this topic

3,638 posts

At 1:11 mark.

1,315 posts
1 hour ago, NoMan said:

At 1:11 mark.

I know we're used to saying sub-mariner like 'maah' 'ren' 'err' but you gotta take the time period and dialects into consideration.  The way he reads it reminds me of a 1940's WWII era announcer which is very apropos to the Avengers 4 resurrection of Captain America.  The emphasis on 'Marine' like we would say Sub-Marine (with the er) added on.  I accept either pronunciation but yes, to me, I go with the 'marin'  not 'marine' pronunciation.

3,638 posts

thanks. i remember reading something about conflicting ways of pronouncing Submariner. Everybody was involved in the conversation: Stan Lee, Jack Kirby, Bill Evertt. Maybe it was in the letters section of early ASM?

6,179 posts

When I was a kid, I was sure it was Sub-marEENer. That's what it looked like! Then I saw, I believe, one of the 60's cartoons narrated by Stan Lee, and he said "Sub Mar UH ner" and it blew my little mind.

Same with Mag-NEE-to. I was sure it was Mag-NET-o.

621 posts

I had always thought it sounded like the word Mariner from the book "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" and how I've heard that book title pronounced.

9,173 posts
2 hours ago, F For Fake said:

When I was a kid, I was sure it was Sub-marEENer. That's what it looked like! Then I saw, I believe, one of the 60's cartoons narrated by Stan Lee, and he said "Sub Mar UH ner" and it blew my little mind.

Same with Mag-NEE-to. I was sure it was Mag-NET-o.

Damn, I would have posted these very words.

50,384 posts
5 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

Pronounce it like this, but with 'sub'...

Submariner is not pronounced based on the word mariner but rather on the word submarine:

10,401 posts
Just now, kav said:

Submariner is not pronounced based on the word mariner but rather on the word submarine:

But the submariner has more in common with a mariner rather than a submarine... (shrug) 

50,384 posts

Now if they had known what they were doing they would have named him Sub-Mariner, ie a mariner that lives below the waves.  Not a guy based in an underwater vessel eg a submarine.

50,384 posts

Look they did Spider-Man why couldnt they get Sub-Mariner right?

10,401 posts
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, kav said:

Look they did Spider-Man why couldnt they get Sub-Mariner right?

Maybe it is really, SpideRamen...... like some super noodle .... (shrug) 

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

50,384 posts
Just now, ADAMANTIUM said:

hm

yes and it's Su-Bmariner

50,384 posts
1 minute ago, Cliff R. said:

It always bugs me when I see Spider-Man unhyphenated.  :pullhair:

Cap-Tain America

690 posts
6 minutes ago, ADAMANTIUM said:

Or SpiderAMan if he's Italian.

3,123 posts
Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Cliff R. said:

It always bugs me when I see Spider-Man unhyphenated.  :pullhair:

I've seen fans become enraged and act out over seeing an unhyphenated Spider-man! Which is startling and flies in the face of convention when you consider that comic hobbyists are generally quiet, unassuming, and introverted, long on patience and short on anger who wouldn't hurt a fly. Quite amazing that you're not the only one with this pet peeve.

Here's my advice. When you see unnecessarily hyphenated words, save that hyphen for a rainy day. It'll come in handy and you'll be glad you saved it for emergency use when you see Spider-man misspelled without the hyphen!

Edited by James J Johnson

3,638 posts
Posted (edited)

Gotta laugh thinking about the guys in the studio producing and creating those GRR discs. Smoking cigarettes and counting down the hours to go home.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I'd rather the GRR discs have been made in the 70s when blow was every where in recording studios. Can you imagine listening to those GRR discs made by voice actors and producers coked out of their minds?

Edited by NoMan