• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My greatest adventure 80
2 2

61 posts in this topic

As I was deslabbing my copy of this, I got to thinking, are doom patrol the first new concept dc super heroes of the silver age?

the ga heroes had new origins, but were not new concepts, the other introductions like Adam strange, challengers, rip hunter etc weren’t super powered, and more along the lines of exotic adventurers.

am I missing an obvious earlier new dc silver superhero?

C2956FC1-88D0-4190-AABF-9A499EA9954A.png

Edited by shiverbones

I think its a relatively tough book to find, at least in pre-internet days if you weren't a show-goer. My first copy is on the left; had it so long I'd have to go to my notes for when/how acquired. The other two came within a couple weeks of each other, and just a couple years ago. An LCS I frequent landed both in separate collections. Better than what usually shows up locally so grabbed both. I always loved Premiani's art, and that black cover is striking.

On 6/20/2019 at 1:29 PM, shiverbones said:

I really like the overworked style of Premiani on this one as opposed to the more simplified look of the later issues. It gives it a more off kilter realistic look instead of the more cartoony approach

I'm rereading the run right now and it's pretty striking how much Brunos style changes over the course of 40 or so issues. Like you I prefer his earliest stuff, it has an elegance and classic vibe I think is neat. I wonder if the later stuff was an attempt to fit in with DC's gogo groovy makeover of the era. 

On 6/20/2019 at 11:08 AM, shiverbones said:

As I was deslabbing my copy of this, I got to thinking, are doom patrol the first new concept dc super heroes of the silver age?

the ga heroes had new origins, but were not new concepts, the other introductions like Adam strange, challengers, rip hunter etc weren’t super powered, and more along the lines of exotic adventurers.

am I missing an obvious earlier new dc silver superhero?

C2956FC1-88D0-4190-AABF-9A499EA9954A.png

Great book! First superhero concept would be the Legion of Superheroes in Adventure Comics 247. 

12 minutes ago, shiverbones said:

Dang! I always forget the legion :ohnoez:

but martian manhunter was first, unless you don’t consider that silver, but I always have

I forget sometimes too. lol 

The consensus is that any books published prior to Showcase 4 is not Silver.