• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Society of Illustrators Batman reception Friday night NYC

19 posts in this topic

Great exhibit.  A wonderful selection of art on loan from the private collections of Rob Pistella, Eric Roberts, Chip Kidd, Frank Giella, Paul Pope, and many more.   :cloud9:

Rob is the consultant / curator to Society of Illustrators for comic art exhibits.  :headbang:

I ran into a lot of other familiar faces so it was great to catch up with everyone.  :banana:

If you are in the NYC area, it's worth stopping by as some of the art is essentially from black hole collections.  I won't spoil what was there.  You will have to stop by and see for yourself.  :whatthe:

Thanks to Brandon for reminding me about opening night.  :applause:

I went Friday night with Lambert, along with artists Paul Pope, Cliff Chiang, Tradd Moore, and Ian Bertram. An excellent time. The exhibit is worth seeing, especially for Batman fans (i.e. everyone). It runs through Oct. 12, so out-of-towners attending NYCC in the fall can still stop by and check it out.

The Chip Kidd portion of the show is a perfect example of a well-curated collection. The Eric Roberts contributions feature what are probably, not surprisingly, the attention grabbers for most comics fans. Spans all eras of Batman, even Lambert was glad he went!

Good running into Nelson and Socrates. I got there late, and seems most had already come and gone. Sorry to have missed Sideshow Bob. Next time!

A really fun show! The Society is always a great venue for this stuff. Gives our little hobby a touch of class. :martini:

I felt like Neal Adams was a bit under-represented with just two pieces (that I saw.) I could have done with an area focused on the villains. And no Tim Sale or Norm Breyfogle. I know, I know... everyone's a critic! But with 80 years of Batman, I was impressed they covered as much ground as they did. Four floors of art! So big thanks to the collectors who loaned out pieces.

And as impressive as the OA was, some of the very rare Bat merchandise pieces loaned by Art Cloos were equally cool. Unreal collection!

I have a few pics. Would that offend anyone? I can wrap it in a spoiler tag.

Edited by BCarter27

3 hours ago, BCarter27 said:

Here you go... blurriness awaits.

All art and no pesky people. Got my priorities straight.

Thanks for the pics @BCarter27! The Kelley Jones covers and Bane breaking Bats sequence are :whatthe:

18 hours ago, skrilla1212 said:

I was able to stop by the exhibit today, being in NYC for work. As someone who’s never been to SDCC or seen art other than my own it was AMAZING. A must see if in NY. The society was such a cool building and concept. It was “sketch night” so majority of the people were there to draw/a lot of regulars at the bar. But the artwork, for me, was outstanding. The Frank Quitely Batman issue is a personal favorite. Getting to see a dark knight page in person. The  Knightfall covers are mesmerizing, I’ve read killing joke 20 times, but found new things in the pages, Alex Ross pages...you get the idea.

Here are some pictures I took :

http://imgur.com/a/OSWZveY

Thanks, very nice pics, appreciated!  David