• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bodnar's Auction OO Silver Age Collection
1 1

16 posts in this topic

Curious anyone bidding or at the floor bidding today? Some amazing books to be had!

https://www.bodnarsauction.com/auction/june-20-2019-toy-collection-huge-comic-book-collection/

A few notable sales thus far while watching part of the live auction happening:

AF #15 - $32,000

ASM #1 - $7250

X-Men #1 - $8,000

TOS #39 - $5,250

JIM #83 - $3,000

DD #1 - $4,250

Avengers #1 - $2,400

Edited by Dark Knight

I posted this in the yard sale thread in CG but here are the final hammers on some of the books. This does not include 15% buyer's premium and 7% sales tax (not charged if you have tax exempt form). Steve Geppi was there and got the AF15 and the others with a G next to them in my notes. I got slabs of Lone ranger 1 CGC 3.5, Mickey Mouse 1 CGC 8.0 and a raw Avengers 3.

4E21E426-80E8-48BD-9426-71C547A4DD01.thumb.jpeg.9e00a6942081a5aa8f9651effe6dcd3b.jpeg088DDEDF-C1C2-4462-B7A6-5CB8CC549CF9.thumb.jpeg.1bcddeec706ccb0d5b13ff265b915d30.jpegimage.thumb.jpg.7f6b4b15b24d471a76e114adaf29b8d2.jpgBCC513FC-8DBA-4841-B236-9E3785EC6674.thumb.jpeg.0edf2d84ef45e7393056d359c956b59b.jpegA3B9F8CB-AF06-4005-83A7-4DFA422B27F2.thumb.jpeg.f942f96663a80bfff9ba14f4f7b8e7ee.jpeg

Cool, thanks for sharing Bird (thumbsu .  Quite a nice collection of oo books that sold.  I believe the owner of these books is on FB.  I may ask him all about it through there someday.  Hopefully there is nothing serious about the back covers of these books. Congrats on the pickups! 

It’s great that it’s a living person who cashed out rather than someone who was deceased. My understanding is that he’s not even a comic collector currently but bought all these books back in the day After reading in the paper with a great investment action comics one was

Edited by Bird

Good for the him!  Ya usually you here collections like this being cashed out by their heirs because the owner passed on.  Now he can enjoy the rest of his life with the added cash flow from the sale.

6 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Good for the him!  Ya usually you here collections like this being cashed out by their heirs because the owner passed on.  Now he can enjoy the rest of his life with the added cash flow from the sale.

The AF15 if unrestored is a nice book. 32k appears to be a great price. Geppi won it?

Yea, according to Bird Geppi won it.  Based on the pictures of the AF 15, I had graded the book as a VG+.  So it practically sold for what a VG+ would sell for if graded (I believe there is a 15% buyer's premium on top of the sale price for floor bidders).  Pages on that book are nice, may be white?

11 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yea, according to Bird Geppi won it.  Based on the pictures of the AF 15, I had graded the book as a VG+.  So it practically sold for what a VG+ would sell for if graded (I believe there is a 15% buyer's premium on top of the sale price for floor bidders).  Pages on that book are nice, may be white?

it could grade 4.5 to 5.5 maybe if pressed..

Edited by peewee22

Possibly, I took a more conservative approach to grading since I can only judge by the pictures given with no back cover pix too on any of the books.  I did see a tiny hole above the bottom staple area which is one of the factors as to why I graded it as such.

Edited by Dark Knight

7 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Here is another image of the book

AF 15a.jpg

We need book in hand to really determine what it could be. Sure looks nice though. Love to keep it raw if I owned it.

6 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

Yep looks perfect raw, I definitely agree. Well we'll see what Geppi does. 

Came from an OO estate (?). This book has always seen daylight. No slab, ever. :golfclap:

Edited by peewee22

So weird that these books were sold raw without, as far as I can tell, any attempt to provide a grade.  The web site linked to in the OP does an absolutely awful job of highlighting the books and attracting interest.  I can't imagine the seller did as well as he might have done with one of the established comic book auction houses, who I imagine would have advised him to get the books graded and would have promoted the collection accordingly.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

So weird that these books were sold raw without, as far as I can tell, any attempt to provide a grade.  The web site linked to in the OP does an absolutely awful job of highlighting the books and attracting interest.  I can't imagine the seller did as well as he might have done with one of the established comic book auction houses, who I imagine would have advised him to get the books graded and would have promoted the collection accordingly.

I think it's because the oo is not a comic book collector and may have just found the easiest way to sell them which was through Bodnar since they are local to him in NJ I believe. He probably would've done better if the books were graded and auctioned off at a reputable comic book auction house but it seems like he didnt do his homework. I believe it was just the case of I want to sell these ASAP due to all the superhero/movie hype happening now.