• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ECCC vs C2E2 vs Baltimore
1 1

72 posts in this topic

Hi guys! 

I live in St Louis and have been going to C2E2 for the last 6 years. Ive never been to Seattle and have always wanted to go to ECCC. So Im considering going to ECCC but would like some input from people who have been to both or if your just biased!

A few things that might help I don’t care about entertainment guests at all I also don’t care much about cosplay.  I mainly like comic book dealers and artist alley, that’s where I spend most of my time when I go to C2E2. 

My one big expense I know if I go to Seattle will be flight is there one that anyone suggests over another my first thought is southwest they’re normally cheap, any opinions on that? Hotel room is not a problem as I would have to pay the same amount whether I was in Chicago or Seattle.

I really want to go to Seattle but I would be going by myself and I’ve never been to the West Coast and would not know anything to do outside of seeing the space needle.😁

On the other hand I am very familiar with Chicago and love the city! they’ve got great places to eat and I can get a flight they’re fairly cheap or I could take the train for even cheaper.

Any input would be awesome!

Thanks

Edited by Raze

2 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Don't. ECCC is a nightmare to get to. Plus, Seattle is overrun with homeless. C2E2, on the other hand, is a piece of cake, with tons of parking in and around the McCormick Center.

I would never go to ECCC ever again. Once was more than enough.

WOW that bad?! when did you go?

Also chicago is easy i normally take a round trip train for $55 and walk the mile and a half to the show or get one of the bikes for $3. with all the walking and riding i do i can eat ALL THE Giodanos pizza i want :roflmao:!!

Im really asking because last C2E2 wasn't as fun as the last 5 i went to. maybe it was because all the cons were happening in or around the same week i don't know.

4 minutes ago, Raze said:

WOW that bad?! when did you go?

This year, in March.

5 minutes ago, Raze said:

Also chicago is easy i normally take a round trip train for $55 and walk the mile and a half to the show or get one of the bikes for $3. with all the walking and riding i do i can eat ALL THE Giodanos pizza i want :roflmao:!!

There you go. ECCC is in the middle of downtown, a pain to get to, and the convention center has multiple levels and is a pain to navigate.

I was tremendously disappointed. 

I've been to C2E2 4-5 times, and it's a great show.

14 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

This year, in March.

Really? I had no idea you were there this year, I was there as well. Too bad for I would have love to meet you in person. 

15 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

There you go. ECCC is in the middle of downtown, a pain to get to, and the convention center has multiple levels and is a pain to navigate.

I was tremendously disappointed. 

I've been to C2E2 4-5 times, and it's a great show.

It is true what you said about ECCC, yes it is in middle of downtown. Yes, can be a pain to get to ... if you aren’t familiar with this city around. Yes, the convention center does have 6 levels there. The top level is panels mostly with few booths (hotflips is alway there). Navigation? Yes, it is.  But it is the comics and artists are what interests me the most, I don’t care about entertainment guests or funko junk  whatever. 

I can get a cheap hostel close to ECCC, easy 10 mins walk. As the parking underground is crazy full fast. I found a good deal with a parking lot garage where I can leave my vehicle overnight, cheaper than what I’d pay for day parking. 

Having done my third time with ECCC, I am ready to go try Baltimore this year. Next Spring is to Calgary Comic Con... my 11th time.

I live just outside of Seattle and have gone to ECCC every year. The normal big show I go to every year is SDCC, but I went to the Chicago con twice when I think it was just called the Chicago con or something of the sort (before it was C2E2). While that was not SDCC by any means, it was a great show. Don't listen to those who talk about all the homeless in Seattle. I grew up here, and while there are certainly areas where the homeless have overrun the area and there are tents set up along parts of I-5 (and under, among some other places), MOST of the city is beautiful. Traffic is a bit dicey in downtown Seattle, but it is a big city and to be expected. With that said, I would not recommend to anyone to travel to ECCC, and especially not over the Chicago show. With one exception. The artist's alley at ECCC is spectacular, even better than at SDCC. But as far as a good selection of comic book dealers it is pathetic. Mostly toys, novelties and the usual pop culture. I live 20 minutes away from the show, but I find that half a day is good enough for me and I've seen everything. So unless you really enjoy artist's alley, then don't bother. 

35 minutes ago, BassGMan said:

Don't listen to those who talk about all the homeless in Seattle. I grew up here, and while there are certainly areas where the homeless have overrun the area and there are tents set up along parts of I-5 (and under, among some other places),

Your second statement contradicts your first.

5 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Your second statement contradicts your first.

Not hardly. There are some areas in Seattle where the homeless have run rampant, but the other 95% of the city is looking great. And I'm not just talking downtown where it is more prevalent in some areas. Seattle is a big city and mostly suburban neighborhoods. 

39 minutes ago, BassGMan said:

Not hardly. There are some areas in Seattle where the homeless have run rampant, but the other 95% of the city is looking great. And I'm not just talking downtown where it is more prevalent in some areas. Seattle is a big city and mostly suburban neighborhoods. 

The convention center is in a suburban neighborhood...?

hm

27 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The convention center is in a suburban neighborhood...?

hm

No, that is downtown of course. But I was talking about the city as a whole. Above you said Seattle is overrun with homeless. Not at all. There is a homeless problem for sure, as there is in many large US cities. The cost of living here is crazy. And despite homelessness being a big problem in select pockets of the city (which gets a lot of press), most of the city is beautiful and safe. North Seattle is my favorite part of the city, followed by west Seattle. For the most part I avoid downtown, really just because traffic and parking is nuts. 

@RockMyAmadeus and @BassGMan thanks for both of your opinions, but I didn't want this to be a fight/argument/discussion about the homeless, gentleman. All big cities have theryre problems even here in st louis we have homeless people so that wouldn't be a deciding factor,chicago has homeless as well. 

I understand what both of you are saying and i would defend my city as well.

but lets remember that we are talking about a trip that any homeless person would like to have the money to do.

Seattle does seem beautiful and id love to see the space needle and jump in the pacific but id be going for the show mostly. but what i didn't know was that there are multiple levels and that seem odd but i think i would just need the artist floor! and maybe a dealers floor haha. but if your sayin there aren't a lot of dealers that might not warrant me going. i still have 2 months before i could even book a flight let alone make up my mind.

and thanks @jsilverjanet there are cool people at c2e2!!

5 minutes ago, BassGMan said:

No, that is downtown of course. But I was talking about the city as a whole. Above you said Seattle is overrun with homeless. Not at all. There is a homeless problem for sure, as there is in many large US cities. The cost of living here is crazy. And despite homelessness being a big problem in select pockets of the city (which gets a lot of press), most of the city is beautiful and safe. North Seattle is my favorite part of the city, followed by west Seattle. For the most part I avoid downtown, really just because traffic and parking is nuts. 

The OP was asking for opinions. I gave mine. It wasn't a personal slight against you. (thumbsu

26 minutes ago, Raze said:

@RockMyAmadeus and @BassGMan thanks for both of your opinions, but I didn't want this to be a fight/argument/discussion about the homeless, gentleman. All big cities have theryre problems even here in st louis we have homeless people so that wouldn't be a deciding factor,chicago has homeless as well. 

Having been to ECCC just this year, and seen the homeless up close and in person...and having lived in Los Angeles for the past 20 years, and having gone to C2E2 4-5 times in the past 6 years, I can say that the homeless in Seattle is worse. I didn't see any homeless in and around McCormick Center (since they keep the area pretty clear), but there's homeless actually on the streets near the convention center in Seattle.

Now, if the homeless aren't a problem for you, great. I'm a single adult male, so they don't bother me. But some folks with family might be put off by the proximity. I was merely offering my opinion, but hey, someone challenged it, so it's fair to answer. ;)

Edited by RockMyAmadeus

5 hours ago, Raze said:

I understand what both of you are saying and i would defend my city as well.

but lets remember that we are talking about a trip that any homeless person would like to have the money to do.

Seattle does seem beautiful and id love to see the space needle and jump in the pacific but id be going for the show mostly. but what i didn't know was that there are multiple levels and that seem odd but i think i would just need the artist floor! and maybe a dealers floor haha. but if your sayin there aren't a lot of dealers that might not warrant me going. i still have 2 months before i could even book a flight let alone make up my mind.

If it helps in your decision making, Seattle is pretty far inland and the ocean is a few hours away.

10 hours ago, Raze said:

In ECCC, there is a floor designed executively for comic book artists/artist of different books. Comic book vendors are usually found on one floor area (of the same level as artists). They are in the opposite sides, through you do have to walk a bit.

on the homeless topic, every city has that problem be it large or small. So I have seen that ... nothing I can do. 

Shouldn’t it be ECCC vs C2E2 vs Baltimore? Since I am planning go to Baltimore, and C2E2 was on the table when my friend and me were discussing about it. The problem is that C2E2 takes place in February 2020, so we don’t have enough time to save up funds if we go to Baltimore this year. Which one  is better in terms of buying comics and to get signatures from comic artists and writers?