ECCC vs C2E2 vs Baltimore
2 2

72 posts in this topic

6,865 posts
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Raze said:

@KPR Comics yeah i guess youre right. I had a misconception of where it was in relation to the ocean.

He was wrong. The ocean is literally within walking distance of the convention center where ECCC is held. Maybe a 20 minute walk to all the piers. However this is not the open ocean and you'd need to take a 10-15 minute drive from there to west Seattle to hit the nearest sandy beach, Alki. Technically this is called the Puget Sound, but it is part of the Pacific Ocean. 

Edited by BassGMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,027 posts
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Fan Boy said:

Shouldn’t it be ECCC vs C2E2 vs Baltimore? Since I am planning go to Baltimore, and C2E2 was on the table when my friend and me were discussing about it. The problem is that C2E2 takes place in February 2020, so we don’t have enough time to save up funds if we go to Baltimore this year. Which one  is better in terms of buying comics and to get signatures from comic artists and writers?

I have been to C2E2 twice. I did not find I was motivated to line up and get signatures at C2E2 compared to ECCC except I did line up 1.5 hr for Alex Ross sig at C2E2. Baltimore con seems to be more loaded with different artists, inkers, writers that do not normally visit the Pacific Northwest. There is also newer ACE convention being run out of Seattle's :) former Qwest Arena stadium.

Edited by aardvark88
sp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,411 posts
18 hours ago, Raze said:

Hi guys! 

  I live in St Louis and have been going to C2E2 for the last 6 years. Ive never been to Seattle and have always wanted to go to ECCC. So Im considering going to ECCC but would like some input from people who have been to both or if your just biased!

 A few things that might help I don’t care about entertainment guests at all I also don’t care much about cosplay.  I mainly like comic book dealers and artist alley, that’s where I spend most of my time when I go to C2E2. 

  My one big expense I know if I go to Seattle will be flight is there one that anyone suggests over another my first thought is southwest they’re normally cheap, any opinions on that? Hotel room is not a problem as I would have to pay the same amount whether I was in Chicago or Seattle.

  I really want to go to Seattle but I would be going by myself and I’ve never been to the West Coast and would not know anything to do outside of seeing the space needle.😁

  On the other hand I am very familiar with Chicago and love the city! they’ve got great places to eat and I can get a flight they’re fairly cheap or I could take the train for even cheaper.

 Any input would be awesome!

Thanks

 

The timing of C2E2 2020 (2/28 - 3/1) might be enough reason to shake things up and go to ECCC next year.    

Since you live in St. Louis I'm sure you're somewhat familiar with what the end of February in Chicago entails.  High temp might be 46.  Or 12.  There may be no wind.  Or it might be howling through the streets at 30+ MPH.  It might be sunny.  It might be snowing.  With 5 inches already on the ground no less.  

I live and work in and around the city, and I'd much rather be almost anywhere else than Chicago in February.  In fact, I'm wondering if its going to keep some dealers from making the trip in and/or suppress attendance.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
662 posts

I'm biased because I've only ever been to C2E2 but I couldn't recommend it more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,165 posts
4 hours ago, mattn792 said:

The timing of C2E2 2020 (2/28 - 3/1) might be enough reason to shake things up and go to ECCC next year.    

Since you live in St. Louis I'm sure you're somewhat familiar with what the end of February in Chicago entails.  High temp might be 46.  Or 12.  There may be no wind.  Or it might be howling through the streets at 30+ MPH.  It might be sunny.  It might be snowing.  With 5 inches already on the ground no less.  

I live and work in and around the city, and I'd much rather be almost anywhere else than Chicago in February.  In fact, I'm wondering if its going to keep some dealers from making the trip in and/or suppress attendance.

I worry about this for C2E2 as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,865 posts
9 hours ago, shortboxed said:

I've been to both C2E2 and ECCC and I travel from out of state. I only went to one once, and the other I've returned to multiple times - ECCC. C2E2 is a great show, though. 

Reasons why I like ECCC:

  • Seattle is a gorgeous city. The pacific northwest is stunning. It's right by the water, and you're surrounded by nothing but mountains and trees. If you like the outdoors, spend a couple extra days going on hikes. 
  • The convention center is right in the middle of downtown and that is a bonus. If you stay in a downtown hotel, everything is walkable. Lots to see and do in downtown Seattle - great food, bars, nightlife, touristy stuff like Pike Place and Space Needle. 
  • The Museum of Pop Culture is amazing and is worth spending an entire day there. 
  • Comics - Baltimore, Heroes, and others are better for pure comics but let's not act like there's one comic book dealer in the room - it's a massive con and there are lots of dealers. 
  • Artist Alley - ECCC has my favorite artist alley and it's in its own building/floor so it's super convenient. All the creators are in one place. The only other shows that rival it are Baltimore and Heroes. 
  • The convention center is massive but it's very well run and organized. 

Cons against ECCC:

  • Seeing Seahawks fans everywhere :facepalm:

Since the OP has been to C2E2 multiple times and never to ECCC, my recommendation is to change things up and explore a new city! Stay a couple extra days and enjoy the city as well, not just the con. 

Now THAT is an accurate review of Seattle. Though I'm not as thrilled with the con though. But yeah, the Artist's Alley is the real deal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,486 posts

The biggest problem I had...and it's a very bad one...is that if you drive at all, you will be faced with a nightmare in terms of the traffic. The traffic is terrible. It took me two hours...two real, actual hours...to get from Greenwood(85th and 99) to the convention center on the Friday of ECCC. 

That's 6 miles.

It would have been faster to walk it.

And, as mentioned before, parking is impossible. So, if you're going to go, it's imperative that you pony up the extra dough...and it's a LOT extra...and stay right there at the convention center-area hotels. Forget trying to stay in the suburbs on the cheap (which is one of my favorite things to do.)

If you can't tolerate lines and traffic, Seattle is not the place to go. Seattle IS pretty...but when you're parked on Interstate 5, staring at the aforementioned homeless encampments...not so much. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,879 posts
7 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

The biggest problem I had...and it's a very bad one...is that if you drive at all, you will be faced with a nightmare in terms of the traffic. The traffic is terrible. It took me two hours...two real, actual hours...to get from Greenwood(85th and 99) to the convention center on the Friday of ECCC. 

That's 6 miles.

It would have been faster to walk it.

And, as mentioned before, parking is impossible. So, if you're going to go, it's imperative that you pony up the extra dough...and it's a LOT extra...and stay right there at the convention center-area hotels. Forget trying to stay in the suburbs on the cheap (which is one of my favorite things to do.)

If you can't tolerate lines and traffic, Seattle is not the place to go. Seattle IS pretty...but when you're parked on Interstate 5, staring at the aforementioned homeless encampments...not so much. 

 

Too bad as I would love to meet you in person someday in one of comic cons. ECCC wasn’t it this year. 

Having went to Seattle for as long I can remember since as a kid, with my family for summer vacations. I must had visited this city a hundred times or more like that ... and I still haven’t explored it in full yet! So I am biased in saying I know Seattle pretty good, but it is the streets there that throw me off track often. Had to use my GPS to navigate around it lol

Not gonna blame you about the traffic issues you had on your first visit, that is actually the normal times for Seattle in their gridlock traffic for work commuters. I personally avoided the gridlock hours by going very early or after 7 pm on weekdays, even not gonna be in downtown also. It’s nuts!

RockMyAmadeus, you may have already twisted my arm. Baltimore does look more better to me in visiting this year. hm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,370 posts
Posted (edited)

ok so i added Baltimore to the discussion, as ive hread it mentioned in this thread and ive spoke with 2 dealers at st louis comic con today and they both suggested Baltimore over ECCC. So Baltimore people whats it like? Parking, lines, traffic,hotels, flights?   Chime In!!

Edited by Raze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,004 posts

Do nycc instead

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,370 posts
45 minutes ago, eewwnuk said:

Do nycc instead

 I would love to but I’m only gonna have enough to do one of them and I don’t know if I can do New York.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,865 posts
5 hours ago, Raze said:

 I would love to but I’m only gonna have enough to do one of them and I don’t know if I can do New York.

Have you ever thought about SDCC? I know that tickets are almost impossible, but I'm just about to go for the 27th year in a row and there is nothing like it. Granted I haven't been to all the big shows, but this show is the highlight of my year. People complain about long lines, but if you know how to navigate it there are virtually no lines. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,370 posts
1 hour ago, BassGMan said:

Have you ever thought about SDCC? I know that tickets are almost impossible, but I'm just about to go for the 27th year in a row and there is nothing like it. Granted I haven't been to all the big shows, but this show is the highlight of my year. People complain about long lines, but if you know how to navigate it there are virtually no lines. 

 I have heard horror stories of lines and everything else and I just don’t think that I would want to go or I would not have fun I would pass on San Diego.  Good suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,865 posts
11 minutes ago, Raze said:

 I have heard horror stories of lines and everything else and I just don’t think that I would want to go or I would not have fun I would pass on San Diego.  Good suggestion.

Getting tickets is very tough, but after having been to San Diego, ECCC, Wonder Con and (the old) Chicago Con, nothing can compare to SDCC. Yes there are long lines for those who choose to stand in them, say get into some popular panel or line up for an exclusive, but I never stand in any line longer than five minutes the entire 4 1/2 day event. Remember, standing in a line anywhere is something people choose to do. Stand in line to get into a 10:00 show open, or walk up at 10:20 and walk right in? Stand in line for hours trying to see some celebrity speak or just not go? Line up at the food stands during lunch time or go in between meals when there are no lines. Yes there are crowds there in some of the popular areas, but if you are going for comics or Artist's Alley, no lines and very little crowds, except maybe at some hot artist's table where 10-15 people are surrounding it. ECCC can also get extremely crowded in some areas of the show, not unlike SDCC, but I just avoid those areas during those times. Remember, people choose to stand in lines, and in most cases they are not ever forced to. Granted, you'll miss out on some events or items this way, but for me at least, I'll pass the big crowd and long lines for all the other things that are easily accessible. Just like navigating Seattle traffic or SDCC (and other) con events, if you time it right and are fine missing some hyped events and items, the entire thing will be easy and comfortable. I'm also not into horror stories, long lines and crowds, and there is no way I'd endure that in SDCC or anywhere, and I never do. Anyway, just some suggestions. A con experience is often what you make of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14,165 posts
1 hour ago, BassGMan said:

Getting tickets is very tough, but after having been to San Diego, ECCC, Wonder Con and (the old) Chicago Con, nothing can compare to SDCC. Yes there are long lines for those who choose to stand in them, say get into some popular panel or line up for an exclusive, but I never stand in any line longer than five minutes the entire 4 1/2 day event. Remember, standing in a line anywhere is something people choose to do. Stand in line to get into a 10:00 show open, or walk up at 10:20 and walk right in? Stand in line for hours trying to see some celebrity speak or just not go? Line up at the food stands during lunch time or go in between meals when there are no lines. Yes there are crowds there in some of the popular areas, but if you are going for comics or Artist's Alley, no lines and very little crowds, except maybe at some hot artist's table where 10-15 people are surrounding it. ECCC can also get extremely crowded in some areas of the show, not unlike SDCC, but I just avoid those areas during those times. Remember, people choose to stand in lines, and in most cases they are not ever forced to. Granted, you'll miss out on some events or items this way, but for me at least, I'll pass the big crowd and long lines for all the other things that are easily accessible. Just like navigating Seattle traffic or SDCC (and other) con events, if you time it right and are fine missing some hyped events and items, the entire thing will be easy and comfortable. I'm also not into horror stories, long lines and crowds, and there is no way I'd endure that in SDCC or anywhere, and I never do. Anyway, just some suggestions. A con experience is often what you make of it.

Sure, but if one is looking to shop for books why not just hit the Torpedo show the Sunday prior and get first crack with none of the expense/hassle?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55,486 posts
On 6/22/2019 at 6:38 PM, Raze said:

ok so i added Baltimore to the discussion, as ive hread it mentioned in this thread and ive spoke with 2 dealers at st louis comic con today and they both suggested Baltimore over ECCC. So Baltimore people whats it like? Parking, lines, traffic,hotels, flights?   Chime In!!

Having been to all three, and both C2E2 and Baltimore multiple times, I would say those two are comparable. Baltimore is fantastic for getting East Coast creators to come, so that tips it for me. Plus, @Junkdrawer is usually there, whispering "RMA...RMA!!" from across a crowded floor. :cloud9:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11,964 posts
39 minutes ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Having been to all three, and both C2E2 and Baltimore multiple times, I would say those two are comparable. Baltimore is fantastic for getting East Coast creators to come, so that tips it for me. Plus, @Junkdrawer is usually there, whispering "RMA...RMA!!" from across a crowded floor. :cloud9:

 

I’m in a small club.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,865 posts
1 hour ago, mysterio said:

Sure, but if one is looking to shop for books why not just hit the Torpedo show the Sunday prior and get first crack with none of the expense/hassle?

I'm not familiar with the Torpedo show, but absolutely, if someone is just looking to buy comics and does not care for the rest of the hoopla then I would not recommend ANY big con. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,879 posts
9 hours ago, RockMyAmadeus said:

Having been to all three, and both C2E2 and Baltimore multiple times, I would say those two are comparable. Baltimore is fantastic for getting East Coast creators to come, so that tips it for me. Plus, @Junkdrawer is usually there, whispering "RMA...RMA!!" from across a crowded floor. :cloud9:

 

 

8 hours ago, Junkdrawer said:

I’m in a small club.

Noted: seek out the small club in Baltimore.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
2 2