• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it came in mightly close at $9,600 which is definitely a pretty strong price for this copy here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Mask Comics #2 (Rural Home, 1945) CGC FN+ 6.5 Off-white to whitepages....

Considering all of the relatively strong prices that the Mask Comics have been fetching lately, I wish somebody would put out a nice copy of Suspense Comics 8 to see what kind of money that book would fetch in today's seemingly uber hot marletplace when it comes to the L.B. Cole classic cover books.  

Looks like this 1 of 3 highest graded copies was able to fetch only $3,107, but that was back in 2012 or long before the hot Cole phase:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Horror, Suspense Comics #8 (Continental, 1945) CGC VF- 7.5 Cream tooff-white pages....

Any bets that this book or any other HG copy of Suspense 8 would also be able to get close to the $10K mark in today's markedly hotter marketplace.  hm

Suspense 8 in 7.5 would be 10k or extremely close. 

On 8/1/2019 at 12:07 PM, szav said:
On 8/1/2019 at 12:02 PM, Gotham Kid said:

Anyone win anything yet ?

Also 90K for TMNT. WTF.

As big a proponent of this book as I am, I have to wonder if this sale actually goes through, or if it isn’t some sort of attempted market manipulation.  Maybe someone who owns 100 copies winning his own book to try and drive up the value himself.

Especially when you consider that there's 24 other copies of this book out there in the exact samenot so HTF CGC 9.8 grade.  :whatthe:

Plus another 44 copies in slightly lower CGC 9.6 condition grade that's already knocking at the door and will now be highly tempted to go for some love loving and squeezeable hugs in order to see if they too can get past the door to join their CGC 9.8 graded brethren on the other side.  hm

Plus all of the other still raw HG copies of this book that's still out there which makes me think the purchaser of this particular copy is going to be in for a whole lot of financial pain and spanking when it comes time to sell this book here.  :tonofbricks:

7 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Especially when you consider that there's 24 other copies of this book out there in the exact samenot so HTF CGC 9.8 grade.  :whatthe:

Plus another 44 copies in slightly lower CGC 9.6 condition grade that's already knocking at the door and will now be highly tempted to go for some love loving and squeezeable hugs in order to see if they too can get past the door to join their CGC 9.8 graded brethren on the other side.  hm

Plus all of the other still raw HG copies of this book that's still out there which makes me think the purchaser of this particular copy is going to be in for a whole lot of financial pain and spanking when it comes time to sell this book here.  :tonofbricks:

I’m doubtful we see that TMNT pop up for sale here.  Didn’t seem like a flip to sell kind of purchase.  After tax, $100k barely breaks even.  I’d hope it was a keeper purchase for the buyer.  Has anyone seen the WWBN 32 9.8 that went for $50k+ go up for sale since?

On 8/1/2019 at 3:04 PM, Sqeggs said:
On 8/1/2019 at 11:13 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:

The 9.0 Four Color 9 was a nice deal at $10,800.

I wish I was in buying mode right now. I would have definitely snagged that one. 

Well under guide, I think. FC 9 is a funny book (a funny funny book?). It's been a laggard for quite a while now. Combination, imo, of Barks having faded a bit, not a great cover (which isn't by Barks), not all Barks on the story, not a great story, and not a particularly scarce book. Still, that was a low price. I'd also have bid it up if I were in buying mode, which I'm also not.

I guess it sort of depends on which books you are talking about.

Based upon the initial low bidding that was taking place on these 2 not so in favor type of books, I was expecting the final results to also be on the low side:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Feature Books #39 The Phantom (David McKay Publications, 1943) CGCNM 9.4 Off-white to white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Large Feature Comic (Series I) #2 Terry and the Pirates - Mile HighPedigree (Dell, 1939) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Yet, both of these rather nice looking and superb HG copies were still able to fetch multiples to top of guide.  :applause:

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, what is everybody's post-auction take on the final price of $72K for the CGC 7.0 graded copy of MF 73 here?  hm

Definitely much more than where they were going for prior to the Aquaman movie hype of 5 years ago, but appears to be a slight drop off from the $93K to $99K that CGC 8.0 graded copies were fetching on CC a couple of years ago.   Especially when you take into consideration that CC was able to fetch $74,500 in once of their Event Auctions for a not the best looking CGC 5.0 graded copy back in March of 2015.  Although that sale does appear to be a bit of an outlier when compared to all of the other MF 73 sales.  (shrug)

The CC book for 75k was auctioned right in the sweet spot.  Perfect timing.   I’m not surprised at all with the hammer of this one , just disappointed 

1 hour ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

Suspense 8 in 7.5 would be 10k or extremely close. 

Since you seem to be a fine connoisseur in this end of the market and have been for awhile now, are you aware of any potential high grade copies of this book that might grade into the 9's or thereabouts that could blow past these current highest CGC 7.5 graded copies?  hm

Seems to be quite a few of relatively low grade to mi-grade copies of this book in the census, but still no truly HG copy to this current point in time after virtually 20 long years of slabbing.  I wonder how much longer we will have to wait for a HG copy of this L.B. Cole classic cover book to make its appearance in the marketplace?  :taptaptap:

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Due to its popularity the buying pool for TMNT #1 in a 9.8 is vastly bigger than the pool of people interested in the Church Startling 10.  How much bigger? 5 times? 10 times?  100 times? Who knows.  But I'm certain it extends beyond regular comic book buyers and includes all kinds of super rich people who don't know any better.

24 other 9.8 copies and your 44 9.6s is actually rare.  I think GA collectors get hung up on the fact that some books can take decades to find, and forget that in the grand scheme of collectibles 25ish copies of something being around when there's huge demand is rare.

I don't see many more 9.8's materializing. The all black cover doesn't allow for CPRs up to 9.8, and at its current value and limited print run, I doubt there are a lot of raw high grade copies left.

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree.  I'd bet money that 10 years from now this book appreciates more, even at the 90k bench mark, than that Startling 10 church copy.  Lets revisit this in 10 years shall we?

43 minutes ago, szav said:

We'll probably just have to agree to disagree.  I'd bet money that 10 years from now this book apdepreciates more, even at the 90k bench mark, than that Startling 10 church copy.  Lets revisit this in 10 years shall we?

You really should proofread your posts before you hit the Submit button here.  :gossip:

Not exactly sure what you are talking about here as we seem to be in full agreement, especially after I went to all the trouble of fixing up your little typo here.  lol

No worries at all and you are most welcome by the way.  (thumbsu

On 8/1/2019 at 9:57 AM, Gotham Kid said:
On 8/1/2019 at 9:56 AM, lou_fine said:

TMNT #1 9.8 at $75K

:screwy:

friends don't let friends bid drunk ...

Well, obviously he wasn't as drunk as the other guy who bidded it all the way up to $90K.  O.o

This clearly brings back memories of me talking to the owner of a LCS shop in the suburbs out here.  He asked me if I would be interested in ordering either a copy of the Dark Knight limited signed and number edition for $40 or a copy of this TMNT #1 from the publisher for $300 which he had already just ordered for another one of his customers.  Being your typical know nothing Modern day comic collector at the time, I was all into Miller and agreed to order a copy of the Dark Knight from him.  Especially after taking a peek at the sample artwork for TMNT which he had and thinking to myself, why in the world would I pay $300 for this horrid looking piece of crapola artwork when I probably wouldn't even touch it for $3.00  lol

Fast forward almost 25 years and it looks like I would be lucky to fetch even $4 for the Miller "not so limited" DK hardcover edition and yet the TMNT is almost fetching 6 figures here.  doh!

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Since you seem to be a fine connoisseur in this end of the market and have been for awhile now, are you aware of any potential high grade copies of this book that might grade into the 9's or thereabouts that could blow past these current highest CGC 7.5 graded copies?  hm

Seems to be quite a few of relatively low grade to mi-grade copies of this book in the census, but still no truly HG copy to this current point in time after virtually 20 long years of slabbing.  I wonder how much longer we will have to wait for a HG copy of this L.B. Cole classic cover book to make its appearance in the marketplace?  :taptaptap:

I’ve only heard about one higher raw but I’m sure there are more. If a 9.2 was graded and popped up at auction next month that would be something to watch.  

1 minute ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I’ve only heard about one higher raw but I’m sure there are more. If a 9.2 was graded and popped up at auction next month that would be something to watch.  

Would this be the Church copy by reputation or some other HG non-pedigree copy that is still locked away in a private collection?  hm

8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

To me, SS 4 is a far better cover than PL 17... I'm probably in the minority on both counts, though. 

Agreed. The layout and execution on SS4 is better - plus it doesn't make my wife's eyes roll like it does when she looks at my PL17.

I know this book has gone crazy the last few years, but I believe it still has a ways to go.

51 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
8 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

To me, SS 4 is a far better cover than PL 17... I'm probably in the minority on both counts, though. 

Agreed. The layout and execution on SS4 is better - plus it doesn't make my wife's eyes roll like it does when she looks at my PL17.

I know this book has gone crazy the last few years, but I believe it still has a ways to go.

God, I really MUST take a much closer look at a copy of this book here, espeically since you've been around for so long ever since the Sleeper days of CBM.  (thumbsu

I clearly have always had the PL 17 cover tattooed into my mind from Overstreet's neverending constant focus on this book, even though I personally prefer the cover image to PL23 myself.  Well okay, probably after doing a cost benefit analysis considering the once much cheaper cost of PL 23 relative to the always uber expensive PL 17.  (shrug)

Being the contratian that I am, I have always preferred the Seven Seas 6 cover with its nice blend of flowing colors to the Seven Seas 4 myself.  As a result, after acquring uber HG copies of both SS 1 and SS 2, I made a clear decision to look for a nice copy of SS 6 for my personal collection.  After contacting a few dealers, I was relegated to a nice copy of SS 4 which I decided to accept in the interim with the clear intention of acquiring the SS 6 eventually.  Well, 25 years later, I now have a relatively high grade set of all of them, except for the SS 6 which always seem to be past my price point.  :cry:

Obvously, the Seven Seas 4 must have been an insignificant book at the time because I don't even remember who I got it from or how much I had paid for it.  For sure it must have been well under $500 or else I would definitely remember paying that kind of money for an almost foregettable book at the time.  I guess sometimes you just get lucky and things happen to swing in your favor.  Go figure that!!!  :)  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

To me, SS 4 is a far better cover than PL 17. I actually prefer Kamen's cover to PL 23 to PL 17. I'm probably in the minority on both counts, though. 

You really can't go wrong with the top 20 to 25 GGA covers. I can certainly see collectors choosing covers like Brenda Starr #14, Startling #49, Blue Beetle #54, etc. as their favorite.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I certainly wished this was true, but I highly doubt it since I do happen to have a nice copy of SS 4 in my own personal collection.  :whee:

I believe one of the main reasons for the current large disparity in the census count between PL 17 and the seeming scarcity of SS 4 is due to the simple fact that PL 17 has always been a hot classic cover book ever since the 70's.  Definitely not the same situation with the Seven Seas 4 which appears to be one of the new hot fad GGA cover books that has gained popularity recently.  hm

Maybe Seven Seas 4 will narrow the census gap a bit as time goes on, especially now that collectors are starting to see the value of the book.  :taptaptap:

I disagree to a certain extent. Ever since I started collecting GGA books back in 2003, Sevens Seas #4 has consistently been one of the top 5 most saught after GGA covers. I literaly spent 5 years searching for a copy, while willing to pay 2 to 3 times FMV but the book hardly ever showed up for sale.

Edited by skybolt

29 minutes ago, skybolt said:
9 hours ago, Sqeggs said:

To me, SS 4 is a far better cover than PL 17. I actually prefer Kamen's cover to PL 23 to PL 17. I'm probably in the minority on both counts, though. 

You really can't go wrong with the top 20 to 25 GGA covers. I can certainly see collectors choosing covers like Brenda Starr #14, Startling #49, Blue Beetle #54, etc. as their favorite.

Well, again being the contrarian that I am, I've always much preferred the Blue Beetle 52 over the much more highly acknowledged classic BB 54 cover myself. (shrug)

I've always loved the bright blue, green, and red color combinations on Blue Beetle 52.  :luhv:

3 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess it sort of depends on which books you are talking about.

Based upon the initial low bidding that was taking place on these 2 not so in favor type of books, I was expecting the final results to also be on the low side:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Feature Books #39 The Phantom (David McKay Publications, 1943) CGCNM 9.4 Off-white to white pages....

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Large Feature Comic (Series I) #2 Terry and the Pirates - Mile HighPedigree (Dell, 1939) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Yet, both of these rather nice looking and superb HG copies were still able to fetch multiples to top of guide.  :applause:

But the Terry and the Pirates sold at a lower price than it did last time on Heritage.

11 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, again being the contrarian that I am, I've always much preferred the Blue Beetle 52 over the much more highly acknowledged classic BB 54 cover myself. (shrug)

I've always loved the bright blue, green, and red color combinations on Blue Beetle 52.  :luhv:

Me too.

Not only do I like that 52 actually shows the title character, but the 54 cover always bothered me in its execution, the reflection doesn't match the image in front of the mirror at all. It's really pretty pedestrian compared to many Fox/Fiction House books of the time. Never understood why it guides for multiples of the 52.

4 hours ago, skybolt said:

I disagree to a certain extent. Ever since I started collecting GGA books back in 2003, Sevens Seas #4 has consistently been one of the top 5 most saught after GGA covers. I literaly spent 5 years searching for a copy, while willing to pay 2 to 3 times FMV but the book hardly ever showed up for sale.

Well, it looks like PL 17 has SS 4 beat by about 25 years then since I remember PL 17 already being flagged and singled out in the Overstreet guide as far back as the mid to late 70's.

I guess I was lucky in being able to stumble my way onto my copy of Seven Seas 4 back in the mid 90's when it was still below everybody's radar.  (thumbsu