• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,074 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2019 at 6:38 PM, buttock said:

I considered him, Gerry Ross, Doug Schmell, and it wasn't even close.  Beerbohm ripped off Jerry Bails' widow after he died.  Him, Gerber, and Schmell are the only one I know who pulled that garbage on old ladies.  The others are just con men.  

When you mentioned the worst people in comics, the three that I thought of were Mark Wilson, Doug Schmell, and Jay Maybruck, not necessarily in that order.

I wasn't familiar with Gerry Ross, but I just did some reading of old threads and agree that he close to the top of the list.

I've had some online conversations with Bob Beerbohm and found him to be affable and very knowledgeable about comics. I've never purchased anything from him.

On 8/3/2019 at 6:55 AM, skybolt said:
On 8/3/2019 at 1:37 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like PL 17 has SS 4 beat by about 25 years then since I remember PL 17 already being flagged and singled out in the Overstreet guide as far back as the mid to late 70's.

I guess I was lucky in being able to stumble my way onto my copy of Seven Seas 4 back in the mid 90's when it was still below everybody's radar.  (thumbsu

It's awesome that you've kept the book all these years. :applause:

I am quite sure that the older generation of long term comic book collectors have probably kept all of their books much longer than me.  (thumbsu

Definitely the case since my original off the shelf collection only goes back as far as the BA mid-70's where they are all still sitting around somewhere in those old poly bags that I shove them in after cherry picking them off the shelves of the LCS.

Definitely different from today's generation of CGC collectors or even moreso with the CPR speculative flipping crowd where it often seems that holding onto a book for even more than a whole day must feel like absolute prison time to them.  lol

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it's definitely hard to beat a "woman in bondage" cover when it comes to GGA art.  :luhv:

Boy, that blond woman in the red dress still hasn't managed to figure a way out after six whole long months or does she simply enjoy being in that position?  hm

BTW:  Is your better half aware of your apparent fetish with woman in bondage?  lol

hehehehe so true!!!!! 

Yes she is totally aware of it and digs it haha!!! She knows I enjoy the capes swooping in to save the day and nothing more gentlemen like to save a woman in distress 😊 The straight bondage covers I wouldn’t go for UNLESS like I said there was a depiction of someone (preferably a super hero) on his or her way to rectify the situation!! 

Edited by gino2paulus2

On 8/2/2019 at 2:46 PM, Sqeggs said:

To me, SS 4 is a far better cover than PL 17. I actually prefer Kamen's cover to PL 23 to PL 17. I'm probably in the minority on both counts, though. 

I like Seven Seas 4 as well. B|:gossip::bigsmile:

But my winning this copy was not intentional doh!

fc.jpg

Edited by Ricksneatstuff

22 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I like Seven Seas 4 as well. B|:gossip::bigsmile:

But my winning this copy was not intentional doh!

fc.jpg

So, are you saying this was just a thrill bid on your part here, with the full expectation that another bidder would come in and toss a higher bid on the book?  ???

Well, since I also love the other Christmas color (i.e. green) on covers, I would just as well go after this book here:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Miscellaneous, Rangers Comics #39 Mile High pedigree (Fiction House, 1948)Condition: NM-. Glory Forbes, hallelujah! We say that because it...

Well, not necessarily the Church copy here, but any nice copy of this book here since it would sell at a fraction of what the Seven Seas 4 fetches in today's red hot GGA cover marketplace. :luhv:

I imagine if the cover image of the girl was larger and we could see the actual close-up menacing eyes of the octopus, it would be much more of a classic cover and going for a few more buckets of money.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

20 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

So, are you saying this was just a thrill bid on your part here, with the full expectation that another bidder would come in and toss a higher bid on the book?  ???

No, I was walking away from my computer and decided to hit the disable bid button  but I overshot it and hit the cut bid button.   I was just watching the auction and watching that book but not planning on bidding on it. 

So that was the only bid that I had on that book at all was that cut bid at 8250+ BP. 

33 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

No, I was walking away from my computer and decided to hit the disable bid button  but I overshot it and hit the cut bid button.   I was just watching the auction and watching that book but not planning on bidding on it. 

So that was the only bid that I had on that book at all was that cut bid at 8250+ BP. 

Yikes, that looks like a $9,900 overshot to me which is certainly nothing to sniff at.  :eek:

Maybe you could call Heritage and try to explain the situation to them and see if they could remedy the situation for you.  I imagine they would at the least consider waiving some of the fees associated with any subsequent resale you decide to do on the book.  If so, just hold onto the book for a couple of auctions and then put it back out in the hot spring and/or summer auction periods and you should hopefully be able to recoup your money, if not more on the book.  :wishluck:

5 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Yikes, that looks like a $9,900 overshot to me which is certainly nothing to sniff at.  :eek:

Maybe you could call Heritage and try to explain the situation to them and see if they could remedy the situation for you.  I imagine they would at the least consider waiving some of the fees associated with any subsequent resale you decide to do on the book.  If so, just hold onto the book for a couple of auctions and then put it back out in the hot spring and/or summer auction periods and you should hopefully be able to recoup your money, if not more on the book.  :wishluck:

I talked to them.  They were gracious but I’m a big believer in eating my mistakes. I was willing to pay the extra $250 on the cut bid if they wanted to offer it to the under bidder. Anyway, it is all my fault. I am just really glad it was on a book I really like and one I can afford. If it were the SF Cap 1 that is a mistake I would not be able to eat lol

2 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I talked to them.  They were gracious but I’m a big believer in eating my mistakes. I was willing to pay the extra $250 on the cut bid if they wanted to offer it to the under bidder. Anyway, it is all my fault. I am just really glad it was on a book I really like and one I can afford. If it were the SF Cap 1 that is a mistake I would not be able to eat lol

I always have the fear of doing something like this, Rick.  I keep my cursor away from the bidding buttons and usually have it disabled unless I know something I am interested in is coming up.  

It is a great book you got although sorry it was through a mistake.  

49 minutes ago, telerites said:

I always have the fear of doing something like this, Rick.  I keep my cursor away from the bidding buttons and usually have it disabled unless I know something I am interested in is coming up.  

It is a great book you got although sorry it was through a mistake.  

I am also terrified of mistakenly bidding and usually disable until I am ready...now if only Heritage offered a "no emotional overbidding" button, I'd be all set!  I was guilty of that a bit last week!

15 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Exactly how gracious, not gracious enough I guess to waive any subsequent seller's fees that you might end up incurring?  :frown:

I remember bidding in either one of the Sotheby's or very early Heritage auctions back in the day when the internet service was a lot slower.  By the time I hit the Bid button, the auction had already moved onto the next lot to a piece of OA which I did not collect at all.  Called them up immediately and they said it was no problem and they would simply cancelled out my bid.  Not sure what haappened to the lot that I had made a mistake on, but it worked out alright in the end for me.  (thumbsu

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

:screwy:

5 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:

I plan to use this excuse with my wife sometime to win something big.  I figure I’ll get away with it one time only before I’d get murdered.  When I do, it’ll be something the caliber of this book.  Congrats on it!

On 8/10/2019 at 7:02 AM, Bat34 said:

now if only Heritage offered a "no emotional overbidding" button, I'd be all set!

They have that.  It's called the "submit your bids online before live bidding starts and then walk away from the computer" button. :baiting: 

Edited by tth2

Speaking of accidentally bidding... I had a touch screen monitor on my register computer at the store. Was working one Thursday at the store a couple of years ago while I had the heritage live auction on. A customer walked up to the counter to check out and I greeted them and as I was switching screens to the RMS (retail management system) I hear “you’ve been outbid”. 

That caught me by surprise,  as I wasn’t bidding on any particular lot at that time .

So I switch screens and I realize that a little bit of spit had actually hit the bid button causing me to bid on a five figure book I had no interest in. Well if you are familiar with touch screens until you remove the pressure on the screen it will continue to act as the enter button,  so as I got outbid my spit droplet proceeded to bid yet again for me on a 60,000+ dollar book 

Got outbid again, so Quick reacting I decided to wipe the drop of spit from the bid button and of course as I was outbid, my finger  actually placed yet another bid! 65,000+ bp 

Flabbergasted I watch the screen for about five seconds and thankfully somebody cut bid me and I was off the hook , but a true story 

11 minutes ago, G.A.tor said:

Speaking of accidentally bidding... I had a touch screen monitor on my register computer at the store. Was working one Thursday at the store a couple of years ago while I had the heritage live auction on. A customer walked up to the counter to check out and I greeted them and as I was switching screens to the RMS (retail management system) I hear “you’ve been outbid”. 

That caught me by surprise,  as I wasn’t bidding on any particular lot at that time .

So I switch screens and I realize that a little bit of spit had actually hit the bid button causing me to bid on a five figure book I had no interest in. Well if you are familiar with touch screens until you remove the pressure on the screen it will continue to act as the enter button,  so as I got outbid my spit droplet proceeded to bid yet again for me on a 60,000+ dollar book 

Got outbid again, so Quick reacting I decided to wipe the drop of spit from the bid button and of course as I was outbid, my finger  actually placed yet another bid! 65,000+ bp 

Flabbergasted I watch the screen for about five seconds and thankfully somebody cut bid me and I was off the hook , but a true story 

Wow. That’s like something chasing you in a nightmare and you discover you can’t move