• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Speaking of accidentally bidding... I had a touch screen monitor on my register computer at the store. Was working one Thursday at the store a couple of years ago while I had the heritage live auction on. A customer walked up to the counter to check out and I greeted them and as I was switching screens to the RMS (retail management system) I hear “you’ve been outbid”. 

That caught me by surprise,  as I wasn’t bidding on any particular lot at that time .

So I switch screens and I realize that a little bit of spit had actually hit the bid button causing me to bid on a five figure book I had no interest in. Well if you are familiar with touch screens until you remove the pressure on the screen it will continue to act as the enter button,  so as I got outbid my spit droplet proceeded to bid yet again for me on a 60,000+ dollar book 

Got outbid again, so Quick reacting I decided to wipe the drop of spit from the bid button and of course as I was outbid, my finger  actually placed yet another bid! 65,000+ bp 

Flabbergasted I watch the screen for about five seconds and thankfully somebody cut bid me and I was off the hook , but a true story 

I wonder if heritage would accept that as a reason to cancel the bids :roflmao:.  The dog ate my homework :roflmao:.  I had a similar experience on my smart phone on comicconnect.  The phone autosaved my password (dumb move on my part) and I accidentally clicked on a buy it now book on their front page while closing out the multiple windows.  Didn’t realize this until 1 minute later and I get an email from comicconnect congratulating me on the purchase.  I was prepared to pay the $80 for the book but fortunately comicconnect let me off the hook

Edited by Spiderturtle

5 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Speaking of accidentally bidding... I had a touch screen monitor on my register computer at the store. Was working one Thursday at the store a couple of years ago while I had the heritage live auction on. A customer walked up to the counter to check out and I greeted them and as I was switching screens to the RMS (retail management system) I hear “you’ve been outbid”. 

That caught me by surprise,  as I wasn’t bidding on any particular lot at that time .

So I switch screens and I realize that a little bit of spit had actually hit the bid button causing me to bid on a five figure book I had no interest in. Well if you are familiar with touch screens until you remove the pressure on the screen it will continue to act as the enter button,  so as I got outbid my spit droplet proceeded to bid yet again for me on a 60,000+ dollar book 

Got outbid again, so Quick reacting I decided to wipe the drop of spit from the bid button and of course as I was outbid, my finger  actually placed yet another bid! 65,000+ bp 

Flabbergasted I watch the screen for about five seconds and thankfully somebody cut bid me and I was off the hook , but a true story 

Strong saliva Rick ^^

7 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

This is the best explanation I've heard yet for how that ASM original art cover went for so much a few years ago.

2 hours ago, Primetime said:

Strong saliva Rick ^^

GAtor once accidentally spit on an Action 1.  It dissolved entirely into a pulpy mess. 

True story.

31 minutes ago, adamstrange said:

GAtor once accidentally spit on an Action 1.  It dissolved entirely into a pulpy mess. 

True story.

I remember in the 90s watching a dealer leaf thru unslabbed books with a cigarette dangling out of his mouth, dropping ashes.  He would casually brush them off the comic page.

Also true story

9 hours ago, G.A.tor said:

Your spit cost some poor guy several thousands of dollarslol

2 hours ago, tth2 said:

This is the best explanation I've heard yet for how that ASM original art cover went for so much a few years ago.

Are you referring to this piece here:

Original Comic Art:Covers, Todd McFarlane The Amazing Spider-Man #328 Cover OriginalArt (Marvel, 1990)....

Well, this should be considered as a steal at only $657,250 since you are really getting a 2 for the price of 1 deal here, in terms of having both Spidey and the Hulk in the same cover image.  :takeit:  :screwy:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, Mr. Lady Luck said:
7 hours ago, tth2 said:

FTFY

At first I laughed...

But now I am crying at the reality of this,,,

:(

CGC are slowly but surely killing off the market that they created.

Look at a Heritage catalog these days.  10 years ago, it was all about comics and there was a small OA section.  Now, it's all about the OA and comics almost seem to be an after thought. 

I know so many long time and deep pocketed comic collectors who've abandoned graded comics for OA because they were tired of these shenanigans.

Not to say that OA is clean by any stretch of the imagination, but by and large there isn't this sense of cheating through manipulation of the collectible itself.