• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, tth2 said:

CGC are slowly but surely killing off the market that they created.

Look at a Heritage catalog these days.  10 years ago, it was all about comics and there was a small OA section.  Now, it's all about the OA and comics almost seem to be an after thought. 

I know so many long time and deep pocketed comic collectors who've abandoned graded comics for OA because they were tired of these shenanigans.

Not to say that OA is clean by any stretch of the imagination, but by and large there isn't this sense of cheating through manipulation of the collectible itself.

This has crossed my mind. Again , I hate to keep harping on it, but it was puzzling that there wasn't a video featuring Barry promoting the SF Cap1. 

I have pondered will HA get out of the Comics market  (except for original comic art) and leave that to Comiclink and Comicconnect. 

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

Look at a Heritage catalog these days.  10 years ago, it was all about comics and there was a small OA section.  Now, it's all about the OA and comics almost seem to be an after thought. 

I know so many long time and deep pocketed comic collectors who've abandoned graded comics for OA because they were tired of these shenanigans.

Not to say that OA is clean by any stretch of the imagination, but by and large there isn't this sense of cheating through manipulation of the collectible itself.

What?  Are you saying I won’t get more if I press my OA?  There goes my business model :sorry:

3 hours ago, tth2 said:

The primary worry of the OA guys is manipulation of the market itself.

8 hours ago, tth2 said:

Good thing the OA market is so transparent...

7 hours ago, sagii said:

This has crossed my mind. Again , I hate to keep harping on it, but it was puzzling that there wasn't a video featuring Barry promoting the SF Cap1. 

I have pondered will HA get out of the Comics market  (except for original comic art) and leave that to Comiclink and Comicconnect. 

Whoa whoa whoa, don't forget Hake's!!! They deserve some love to lol

45 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

Whoa whoa whoa, don't forget Hake's!!! They deserve some love to lol

lol

I actually mention from time to time that Hakes has a  Comic auction going on (I think one is currently live) but it doesn't get much traction on the Boards.

I believe it was Sotheby's (or Christie's, I'm sure a more Informed Boardie can/will clarify) added comics to their roster of auctions a ways back , but got out because of undisclosed work on books being a problem after the hammer.

CGC 'changed' all that.

Are those houses back in the comic game, I don't know. But I made the comparison because Heritage is an auction house that does WAY more than just comics like those operations. With people now mentioning undisclosed non restoration deemed 'touch ups' on slabbed books how long before a big spender or two see's this as questionable and pulls their money out of the market.

Not sure where Comic results fall for them in comparison to Coins, High Art, Movie Posters and Historical Documents, but they may be 'ok' if things went that way. 

Not meant to be a the sky is falling post, just some musings of a looney comic book lover (:

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

What?  Are you saying I won’t get more if I press my OA?  There goes my business model :sorry:

lol You just need to wait for CGC to start grading OA on condition.  Then the flatter the art, the better, and you will be sitting on a gold mine!

7 hours ago, sfcityduck said:
10 hours ago, tth2 said:

The primary worry of the OA guys is manipulation of the market itself.

Exactly.

Hey folks, I am thinking about selling this page.  If you look closely, it is a great candidate for pressing.  I think it can easily achieve a solid 9.6 with a good old fashion pressing.  What do you think?

:jokealert:  (had to add that because I am sure there will be a few people that think I was serious).

avengers_292_splash.jpg

41 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Hey folks, I am thinking about selling this page.  If you look closely, it is a great candidate for pressing.  I think it can easily achieve a solid 9.6 with a good old fashion pressing.  What do you think?

:jokealert:  (had to add that because I am sure there will be a few people that think I was serious).

avengers_292_splash.jpg

I just reported you for posting in the wrong forum. 

8 hours ago, batman_fan said:

avengers_292_splash.jpg

I hate to break it to you but your art is trimmed. It is now worth 10% of what you thought it was worth. Happy trails!

10 hours ago, batman_fan said:

2 hours ago, Timely said:

I hate to break it to you but your art is trimmed. It is now worth 10% of what you thought it was worth. Happy trails!

Plus if you press it and especially dry clean it, you'll dehydrate Subby and he will become a shriveled, old Atlantean - 80 years young.

70978759_imageurlsub.thumb.jpg.07d3b8ff5ecaeedcbad2825e4b5f9aea.jpg

7 minutes ago, batman_fan said:

Just to show my OA pressing skills, I was able to press this Steve Ditko ROM page into a Steve Ditko Spider-Man page. I’m pretty happy with the results. 

If you were a real pro, the end result would come out in color.