• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:

I'd take that over the Marvel1 any day.

We all know this is the one you're most eager about...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/modern-age-1980-present-/teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-1-mirage-studios-1984-cgc-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7212-91102.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

48 minutes ago, szav said:

Looks like the price in the last auction might not be a fluke after all.  

It's nuts.  I just don't understand paying so much for a book that's plentiful in grade, particularly at these prices.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

It's nuts.  I just don't understand paying so much for a book that's plentiful in grade, particularly at these prices.

There's a ways to go yet and I'm definitely eager to see how high this one goes.  Even as a huge fan of this book I was surprised by the 90k sale in the last HA auction.   I'd call anything over 60K an affirmation of its ascent though.

There's a lot of money in this world, and I've become desensitized the amounts people will spend on sentimental collectibles.  In a world where Pokeman Illustrator Cards, and Magic the Gathering OA get close to 100k nothing truly shocks me anymore.

2 hours ago, tth2 said:
5 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Batman 251 OA already at 162K

OA bidders follow a very different strategy than comic bidders.

300K and not even a full day has gone by... wow !

My bet is it will beat the GL 76 OA price.

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, tth2 said:
3 hours ago, szav said:

This. :screwy:

Although I don't expect this one to sell for 90K like the last one, if it does I might have to be hospitalized.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

This. :screwy:

Although I don't expect this one to sell for 100K like the last one. If it does, I might have to be hospitalized.

I wish we knew who the winning bidder and underbidder were. Paying $90K for a scarce collectible seems routine, but paying that much for such a common book seems bizarre. The buyer had to be somebody with money to burn, someone who is bipolar and was in a manic phase, or someone who owns a long box of the things and wanted to manipulate the market.

It’s the best comic book of the last 40 years people!  (90 was nuts yesbut let’s not confuse price and quality).   I think 50+ is a lock but it’s hard to imagine it getting 90 again this time around.   Then again last I checked another turtlemania gold was at 50k or something before auctions end and if you want to talk about stupid tmnt results, that’s the one to obsess over as it is a meaningless book that has only variant scarcity going for it.

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, Bronty said:

It’s the best comic book of the last 40 years people!  (90 was nuts yesbut let’s not confuse price and quality).   I think 50+ is a lock

It could be the best comic in history, but $90k or $50k are both nuts.  It's not that hard to find in 9.8.  

If you miss one, just wait and another one will come up for sale.

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

It could be the best comic in history, but $90k or $50k are both nuts.  It's not that hard to find in 9.8.  

If you miss one, just wait and another one will come up for sale.

don't get me wrong; like most people I'd much rather have a 9.4 for 25% of whatever of the price.

But, you take the best book of the last X years and the 9.8 grade and whether its some doofus with claws or 4 goofy turtles, people are going to pay.   We can call it unwise and maybe it is, but it will happen.

Edited by Bronty

Danngg!! What a price for that Turtlemania book :whatthe: . Had I found that book in say my long box and didnt know anything about it, I'd probably think it's worth $100 tops lol

TMNT 1 is the holy grail for millennials! Now that they are in their 30s, I'm sure there's a few highly successful and uber rich individuals who can afford $100k+ to buy a comic book. I grew up watching the original turtles cartoons, movies, and played with the toys. But to me, I personally do not see TMNT 1 as a $90k book. Not that hardcore over turtles like some are. 

Man you guys are gonna have a hard time with this one then... as someone who has paid what most would consider a ridiculous amount of money for collectibles with zero intrinsic value (never yet exceeding 4 figures), I try not to get critical of others who do the same but I guess video games are the next thing...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/mega-man-dr-wright-first-release-carolina-collection-wata-94-a-sealed-nes-capcom-1987-usa/a/7212-93030.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Edited by szav

14 hours ago, szav said:

There's a lot of money in this world, and I've become desensitized the amounts people will spend on sentimental collectibles.  In a world where Pokeman Illustrator Cards, and Magic the Gathering OA get close to 100k nothing truly shocks me anymore.

close? That last illustrator card sold for almost $200K.

4 hours ago, october said:

No one has a longbox of TMNT 1. 30 total copies in 9.8 is not common.

$90k seems crazy to me too, but let's not go overboard. It's a great book, and FAR, FAR more important than some of the golden age stuff bringing $25k+ with no more than a nice cover to go for it.

I'm sorry, 30 copies in 9.8 isn't common. 30 copies...9.8...not common?

In comparison to maybe Action Comics 1 or Captain America 1, sure, but that's INCREDIBLY common. I'm not placing judgment on the value or whether it's a wise pick-up (I don't believe it is, at least not long-term), but let's call it what it is. A fairly common yet super high-demand book.

49 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

I'm sorry, 30 copies in 9.8 isn't common. 30 copies...9.8...not common?

In comparison to maybe Action Comics 1 or Captain America 1, sure, but that's INCREDIBLY common. I'm not placing judgment on the value or whether it's a wise pick-up (I don't believe it is, at least not long-term), but let's call it what it is. A fairly common yet super high-demand book.

Common is the lowest degree of rarity. Spider-Man 300 and 361 are common. New Mutants 98 is common. Hulk 181 is common. Eternals 1 is common.

30 copies of TMNT 1 in 9.8 is NOT common. It's in an entirely different category of scarcity and shouldn't be lumped into the examples above.