• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

11 hours ago, Howling Mad said:

Maybe "common" is a bad term, but if anything the print run to 9.8 ratio proves my point further. It's not that uncommon in high grades. There's books with VASTLY larger print runs that have the same number or less of 9.8s. This could be for a variety of reasons, but strictly speaking given the low print run, limited distribution, and non-major publisher nature, 30 doesn't seem extremely scarce--despite what the Gerber index may or may not be. Of 897 on the registry, which is a significant portion of the original run, 350 are graded 9.0 or above. That's a lot.

I'm not arguing the merit of the book, or it's contributions. I grew up with TNMT, I get it, but I don't think it's that big of a mystery why it's jumping in price. Individuals in the same age group can now afford nostalgia. This is the same thing we're seeing with Japanese Domestic Market cars, and is reminiscent of muscle cars about 20 years ago. Or video games, which have skyrocketed in the past 5 years. Will it be a $150K book 10 years from now? Maybe. It's just as likely it'll be a $10K book. Who knows. There's always market forces at play.

EDIT - these are my final thoughts on this as well, not trying to clog things up.

Personally, I think it's more likely to be a $10K book. That wacko $90K sale is temporarily affecting prices, but they'll come back to reality eventually.

9 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Every time I see how fast prices for OA are going up recently, it reminds me of my first trip down to the SD Con at the start of the 90's and how the big boys always tends to be ahead of the curve.  

While all of the comic collectors were down there chasing after and forking over big dollars for comic books, I still remember Geppi and several of his older collecting buddies flipping through OA pages and picking them off for what would now be seen as pennies on the dollar.  

Some years ago I was talking with Chris Foss of Heroes and Drsgons about collecting comics versus collecting original art. (Chris was one of the few GA dealers who attended the Motor City Comic Con.) He expressed the opinion that most serious collectors eventually graduate to original art. I'm still waiting for all the collectors who have books that I want to graduate to original art and sell me some of those pedestrian, mass-produced comic books at a fraction of guide.

4 hours ago, Bronty said:

If there were as few hulk 181 in circulation as tmnt 1s , they absolutely would

I pretty much agree with this. There are 4x as many IH 181s in 9.8 as Turtles 1. Heck, there are more IH 181s graded in 8.5 and above than the (supposedly) entire print run of Turtles #1.

There are more Fantasy 15s graded than there are Turtles #1 existing. The 30th best graded AF 15 would be an 8.5 - how much does one of those bring?

Not fair to compare Turtles to Spidey? Ok, what what does an Avengers #1 in 9.2 bring, or an Avengers #4 in 9.6, or Daredevil #1 in the same grade? Super common books (more plentiful than Turtles 1 at least) and with 23 copies each in 9.6, the Avengers #4 and Daredevil #1 are probably a pretty decent comparison,and the 500th top graded copy of all three books is a 7.5 -  but I bet Turtles #1 sells faster than either of the other two.

Common compared to GA keys, yes? But actually more scarce than than most SA keys, and every BA or CA key, and probably more in demand than anything outside AF15 or IH181.

Haven't seen a really nice looking copy of Suspense 8 for sale in years.  With Mask #1 CGC 3.0s going for 10k+ and how much LB Cole books have spiked in the last 3 to 4 years it'll be interesting to see how this one does.  Of course given HA's penchant for amping scans recently I have doubts this book has such rich yellows and reds in hand.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/suspense-comics-8-continental-magazines-1945-cgc-fn-vf-70-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7212-92188.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Suspense8cgc7.jpg

Edited by szav

32 minutes ago, szav said:

Haven't seen a really nice looking copy of Suspense 8 for sale in years.  With Mask #1 CGC 3.0s going for 10k+ and how much LB Cole books have spiked in the last 3 to 4 years it'll be interesting to see how this one does. 

+1

I can't believe that there's over 50 copies of this particular book already graded, and we still have yet to see one in true or even close to HG condition. :whatthe:

Looks like this copy here is in a group as the second highest graded with this book topping out in grade at only CGC 7.5.  :takeit:

Well, looks like I am the high bidder for now, but doubt this will be anywhere even close to the final price by the time it's all said and done.  :frown:

Edited by lou_fine

13 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

I can't believe that there's over 50 copies of this particular book already graded, and we still have yet to see one in true or even close to HG condition. :whatthe:

Looks like this copy here is in a group as the second highest graded with this book topping out in grade at only CGC 7.5.  :takeit:

Well, looks like I am the high bidder for now, but doubt this will be anywhere even close to the final price by the time it's all said and done.  :frown:

7.5 isn't close to high grade? What are you calling high grade? I've always called VF/8.0 and above high grade.

ETA: What's up with the spike in L. B. Cole prices? It isn't like he was just discovered by the hobby. It seems random.

Edited by jimbo_7071

8 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

9 minutes ago, jimbo_7071 said:

7.5 isn't close to high grade? What are you calling high grade? I've always called VF/8.0 and above high grade.

I would tend to agree with you that anything in VF 8.0 would qualify as HG for the early GA books.  (thumbsu

For the later GA books or anything from 1945 onwards (such as Suspense 8) which in theory should be more available or common, I would consider true HG to be anything in VF/NM 9.0 and above.  hm  (shrug)

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I would tend to agree with you that anything in VF 8.0 would qualify as HG for the early GA books.  (thumbsu

For the later GA books or anything from 1945 onwards (such as Suspense 8) which in theory should be more available or common, I would consider true HG to be anything in VF/NM 9.0 and above.  hm  (shrug)

Hmm...some of those 1940-1945 DCs are among the most common books out there. But if you go up to 9.0 for the post-war years, you might want to consider going down to 7.0 for 2nd-tier early 50s books.

3 hours ago, szav said:

Haven't seen a really nice looking copy of Suspense 8 for sale in years.  With Mask #1 CGC 3.0s going for 10k+ and how much LB Cole books have spiked in the last 3 to 4 years it'll be interesting to see how this one does.  Of course given HA's penchant for amping scans recently I have doubts this book has such rich yellows and reds in hand.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/suspense-comics-8-continental-magazines-1945-cgc-fn-vf-70-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7212-92188.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Suspense8cgc7.jpg

I have my doubts that really is a 7.0 

2 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

What’s the beef with Mark Wilson ?  Any supporters ??

Here's one short thread. I haven't purchased anything from Heritage since I found out that they had hired Wilson. I'll still throw in low-ball bids in hopes getting a bargain, but they are way down my list of potential sources now, just above Danny Dupcak and Jason Ewert.

ETA: The thread above makes reference to the reverse spine roll technique (shifting the spine and all of its defects to the fact cover in order to get a grade bump). I don't know the extent of Mark Wilson's involvement in that, if any. I believe eBay seller collectors_comics is Thomas Wilson.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 11/3/2019 at 2:57 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Well, it's Heritage, and Mark Wilson is there now. 'Nuff said.

On 11/3/2019 at 4:49 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

Here's one short thread. I haven't purchased anything from Heritage since I found out that they had hired Wilson. I'll still throw in low-ball bids in hopes getting a bargain, but they are way down my list of potential sources now, just above Danny Dupcak and Jason Ewert.

You do realize that this is now 2019 and the post you are referencing is from way back in 2013.  :gossip:

Any bets that if you ask Matt the same question today, his answer would be completely different since CGC's implementation of their current Restoration Grading Scale now no longer slots the type of chemical cleaning that Mark used to do as falling under the Restoration umbrella.  It is now considered to be Conservation which I guess is not as bad as the old PLOD designation.  So, maybe Mark was partially right when he said at the time way back then that what he was doing was not actually Restoration.  :facepalm:

Like I've said before, when we see Ewert working for Heritage or become head of grading at CGC, that'll be the tell tale sign that invisible or properly done micro-trimming has moved out of the list of  (tsk) activities and has now been given the green light and considered to be good to go.  hm  lol

Edited by lou_fine

11 hours ago, Silver_Couch_Surfer said:

I have IG to thank for showing me the awesomeness that is L.B. Cole. Oh and my wallet hates me because of it too. 

11 hours ago, The-Collector said:

Instagram is my guess. 

That would never have occurred to me! I've been a fan of L.B. Cole for years. Unfortunately I only picked up a couple his books while prices were still reasonable. I thought I had all the time in the world!

2 hours ago, jimbo_7071 said:

That would never have occurred to me! I've been a fan of L.B. Cole for years. Unfortunately I only picked up a couple his books while prices were still reasonable. I thought I had all the time in the world!

Yeah I would think it is only part of the equation but in conjunction with the slabbing of books making the covers more important and the focus of instagram on likeable content which Cole has in spades by being so bold and bright I think that is probably a big reason for the price rises. But I have nothing concrete to go on. That is just wild speculation.