• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

15 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Or just have a "DESTRUCTION" red label..

All jokes aside I too wonder how the book that was previously cleaned is now in an unrestored label. I guess they missed the cleaning part on the book? Seems fishy..

I will second that...and buyer beware....

Just saw that 4 of my better consigned books  will be in the February Signature Auction

Special Edition 1  CGC 6.5

Seven Seas 1 Big Apple  CGC 8.5

New Book of Comics 2  CGC 5.5

Uncle SAm Quarterly 1  CGC 7.5

These books have not been up for sale for nearly 20 years

On 11/6/2019 at 2:23 AM, Timely said:
On 11/5/2019 at 7:13 PM, MasterChief said:

I understand the process of removing tear seals... but how does one remove cleaning, whether it's the aqueous or solvent method, to achieve a Universal Grade?  hm

Throw some dirt on it?

lol  I didn't consider that but the mental image of some knucklehead doing so is too funny.

In all seriousness, I was hoping to hear what others thought as my initial inclinations were that (1) CGC missed the restoration/conservation during the certification process, (2) CGC grading standards have changed, or (3) old rumored allegations may be true – CGC awards "gift grades" to certain submitters. While I would like to believe my first inclination is the case while the second plausible and the third absurd, it may be helpful to add, by way of additional information, that the ASM#1 was submitted for recertification along with the (now designated) Windy City copy of Marvel Comics #1 and this copy of Showcase #22, which is also in the current Heritage auction.

SG_Image1.png

On 11/6/2019 at 5:37 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Perfect time for me to insert again that trimming is NOT restoration but destruction ( or removal of what was there ) Deserves a universal label ( if no restoration )  with appropriate downgrade and label notes. 

Looks like your wish was granted...

ASM-63_trimmed.jpg

10 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

lol  I didn't consider that but the mental image of some knucklehead doing so is too funny.

In all seriousness, I was hoping to hear what others thought as my initial inclinations were that (1) CGC missed the restoration/conservation during the certification process, (2) CGC grading standards have changed, or (3) old rumored allegations may be true – CGC awards "gift grades" to certain submitters. While I would like to believe my first inclination is the case while the second plausible and the third absurd, it may be helpful to add, by way of additional information, that the ASM#1 was submitted for recertification along with the (now designated) Windy City copy of Marvel Comics #1 and this copy of Showcase #22, which is also in the current Heritage auction.

SG_Image1.png

To be honest, my first inclination is that there's something in nefarious going on. But to be fair to CGC, another possibility is that the first assessment of the book being cleaned is actually incorrect. It wouldn't be the first time that CGC over called restoration.  either way, they either missed cleaning on this one, or inaccurately called it the first time. Not a good look.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:13 PM, MasterChief said:

how does one remove cleaning, whether it's the aqueous or solvent method, to achieve a Universal Grade?  hm

Crack it out and send it to Beckett.

48 minutes ago, buttock said:
1 hour ago, MasterChief said:

SG_Image1.png

To be honest, my first inclination is that there's something in nefarious going on. But to be fair to CGC, another possibility is that the first assessment of the book being cleaned is actually incorrect. It wouldn't be the first time that CGC over called restoration.  either way, they either missed cleaning on this one, or inaccurately called it the first time. Not a good look.

You bring up a good point about making inaccurate restoration calls. However, I ran across the thread below when drilling down on the history and Metropolis sold the book raw in 2004 prior to initial certification. They mentioned the restoration in their description. As a result, I figured with their determination and that of CGC's first grading, the assessment of cleaning was more than likely accurate.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/39713-bethlehem-amazing-spider-man-1-cgc-94-slight-p-sells-for-169k/

1 hour ago, MasterChief said:

You bring up a good point about making inaccurate restoration calls. However, I ran across the thread below when drilling down on the history and Metropolis sold the book raw in 2004 prior to initial certification. They mentioned the restoration in their description. As a result, I figured with their determination and that of CGC's first grading, the assessment of cleaning was more than likely accurate.

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/39713-bethlehem-amazing-spider-man-1-cgc-94-slight-p-sells-for-169k/

I'm not sure which is worse.  

9 hours ago, buttock said:

Maybe it should be resubmitted and the best two out of three wins.

56 minutes ago, Chicago Boy said:

When’s the auction end ?  Where’s the MC 1 at these days ? 

there's no internet in Chicago ? (shrug)

$336,000.00 13d left

Edited by Gotham Kid

2 hours ago, tth2 said:
On 11/7/2019 at 4:00 PM, MasterChief said:

the ASM#1 was submitted for recertification along with the (now designated) Windy City copy of Marvel Comics #1 and this copy of Showcase #22, which is also in the current Heritage auction.

SG_Image1.png

Man I love this hobby so freaking much! 

Tim;

Maybe it's not all bad and you could try to bid on this book here since Masterchief didn't include this in his chart:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Superhero, X-Men #1 (Marvel, 1963) CGC VF- 7.5 Off-white to white pages....

Or are you risk averse and don't want to take the chance since it's all part of the same submission from the same consignor?  hm  :devil: