• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

On 11/3/2019 at 2:10 PM, comicjack said:

I have my doubts that really is a 7.0 

It's definitely a 7.0. I had it in an old holder and then resubbed it in hopes it might get that 0.5 bump to highest graded. Very solid structure and looks nice in hand. The reds from theHA pic look slightly amped, but not the yellows. I put a pic of it on our Instagram in the old holder: 

Edited by jhm

On 11/2/2019 at 8:50 AM, szav said:

Man you guys are gonna have a hard time with this one then... as someone who has paid what most would consider a ridiculous amount of money for collectibles with zero intrinsic value (never yet exceeding 4 figures), I try not to get critical of others who do the same but I guess video games are the next thing...

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/mega-man-dr-wright-first-release-carolina-collection-wata-94-a-sealed-nes-capcom-1987-usa/a/7212-93030.s?ic4=ListView-Thumbnail-071515

Thanks for the plug :flipbait:

The Carolina Collection that's being featured are mine and I've only released the sealed stuff. Buying that collection from Dain sent me into a tailspin for collecting and introduced me to a ton of new types of collectors. It pulled me away from GA books for awhile and helped me to realize I needed to purge about 100 GA books to continue exploring my other collecting interests, while holding onto my super-heavy-hitter prize books (according to me at least). I don't even want to say what I've spent so far this year on movie posters, concert posters, albums, old books, ..... sheesh.

The game you linked there is definitely a special one (made the cover of the catalog for the collection). I'm told there's at least one other sealed copy that's known to exist in like a 4.0 grade, but I've yet to see proof. If this doesn't hit six figures, I will likely rebuy my own damn game!

1726753806_ScreenShot2019-11-09at9_22_24AM.thumb.png.124abc89f840fbb4f6978ef6b39ac413.png

Edited by jhm

13 minutes ago, jhm said:

You're welcome.  While I haven't ventured in to video game collecting and just don't have the money or time to devote to another area of collecting, I think you're showing some really good foresight being in it this early.  Video games were and are  an important part of our culture and given that it was all starting in the 80s, just like with TMNT  the people who grew up with it are coming of age and have the money to spend on it.  

On 11/6/2019 at 4:23 AM, Timely said:
On 11/5/2019 at 9:13 PM, MasterChief said:

I understand the process of removing tear seals... but how does one remove cleaning, whether it's the aqueous or solvent method, to achieve a Universal Grade?  hm

Throw some dirt on it?

Although most of you would tend to see this as nothing more than just a humorous comment, there's probably some degree of truth to it if you really think about it.  hm

A grader is supposed to only grade the book that is in front of them, as opposed to conducting historic research on a particular book which we have the luxury and time time to do.  As such, would most graders simply make the assumption that the book has not been cleaned if it exhibits some slight, but not too intrusive defects that indicates the book would benefit from a simple and basic clean and press?  Especially since nobody would ever clean a book without also having it pressed.  

If this is the case, would it not be relatively easy for somebody in the know to add in some very insignificant, but visible defects to either "unclean" or "unpress" a book in order to achieve the more desirable Universal label?  :devil:

On 11/5/2019 at 10:13 PM, MasterChief said:

I understand the process of removing tear seals... but how does one remove cleaning, whether it's the aqueous or solvent method, to achieve a Universal Grade?  hm

Not one to typically defend the CGC/CCS shenanigans, but maybe for this book at the time it was graded originally cleaned and pressed meant "dry cleaned and pressed" which they now consider acceptable (a tired debate I don't want to rehash)... not solvent cleaned.

I'll fully admit I don't know what's considered acceptable for dry cleaning now, but maybe there was evidence it had a bunch of dirt scraped off it and back when it was in a purple holder they considered restorative.

10 hours ago, szav said:

Not one to typically defend the CGC/CCS shenanigans, but maybe for this book at the time it was graded originally cleaned and pressed meant "dry cleaned and pressed" which they now consider acceptable (a tired debate I don't want to rehash)... not solvent cleaned.

I'll fully admit I don't know what's considered acceptable for dry cleaning now, but maybe there was evidence it had a bunch of dirt scraped off it and back when it was in a purple holder they considered restorative.

Certainly a possibility.  In fact, I have one of those very early "cleaned and pressed" restored grade books...

Spoiler

05d8b1d4-7375-4b77-ac71-7f910d3c33b4_zps4fqi4sbi.jpg.a5a97f546f45047dad84ab276f263645.jpg

That and the "...very small amount of glue on cover" are often acceptable on blue label books today.

14 hours ago, Cat-Man_America said:

That and the "...very small amount of glue on cover" are often acceptable on blue label books today.

As far as I can remember, the "very small amount of glue" has been deemed acceptable on GA books right from the get go when CGC first opened their doors.  (thumbsu

Makes me wonder if there's a pedigree copy of More Fun 52 that doesn't have this "glue designation" on it, as it's there on the Church, Larson, and Rockford universal blue copies from what I can see?  hm

On 11/9/2019 at 9:49 AM, lou_fine said:

A grader is supposed to only grade the book that is in front of them, as opposed to conducting historic research on a particular book which we have the luxury and time time to do.  As such, would most graders simply make the assumption that the book has not been cleaned if it exhibits some slight, but not too intrusive defects that indicates the book would benefit from a simple and basic clean and press?  Especially since nobody would ever clean a book without also having it pressed.  

If this is the case, would it not be relatively easy for somebody in the know to add in some very insignificant, but visible defects to either "unclean" or "unpress" a book in order to achieve the more desirable Universal label?  :devil:

We've seen a lot of nonsense during the certification age so I would not be surprised if that has been tried.

Here's some additional information on the book. An excerpt from the April 2005 eBay auction description. The seller's copy is somewhat foretelling as to what would eventually become of the book. Apparently, the seller was "in the know" but didn't try it themselves...

"It is my understanding that the very small tear seals can be professionally undone, leaving only the cleaning and pressing as the least possible form of restoration done to this magnificent pedigree book. It is also my considered opinion that many books that have been cleaned and/or pressed have made it through the grading process without receiving the restoration label at all."

See the link below for full auction description. It's from rob_react's website It's All Just Comics, which is a great resource.

https://itsalljustcomics.com/2005/04/10/1483/

On 11/9/2019 at 10:03 AM, szav said:

During the pressing debates of the earlier 2000s, some forum members made the point that CGC was able to detect pressing because there were examples of restored books with label comments that included "cleaned and pressed." Steve Borock, however, came on the boards and clarified that the only time CGC would put the term "pressed" on a label was when they determined a book had been cleaned by the aqueous or solvent method as the two procedures of cleaning and pressing went hand-in-hand.

2 hours ago, MasterChief said:

We've seen a lot of nonsense during the certification age so I would not be surprised if that has been tried.

Here's some additional information on the book. An excerpt from the April 2005 eBay auction description. The seller's copy is somewhat foretelling as to what would eventually become of the book. Apparently, the seller was "in the know" but didn't try it themselves...

"It is my understanding that the very small tear seals can be professionally undone, leaving only the cleaning and pressing as the least possible form of restoration done to this magnificent pedigree book. It is also my considered opinion that many books that have been cleaned and/or pressed have made it through the grading process without receiving the restoration label at all."

See the link below for full auction description. It's from rob_react's website It's All Just Comics, which is a great resource.

https://itsalljustcomics.com/2005/04/10/1483/

I know an LCS owner who told me he'd resubmitted a PLOD "cleaned and pressed" book before and had it come back with a universal label. Clearly, CGC sometimes (often?) misses aqueous cleaning during their restoration check. 

They used to have three graders grade each book, and now only two do so, right? Fewer eyes = more mistakes.

Not the event auction, but I have some GA and SA on consignment coming up for the 11.24-12.1 sunday auction, including a Mighty Mouse 1 cgc 8.0 and some nice Archie books including Archie 12 cgc 4.5 and Archie 14 cgc 7.0. The item descriptions aren't finished yet but 11/24 is coming up pretty fast so I expect them to finish those up soon.

Heritage Sunday 12/1 auction

On 11/9/2019 at 5:31 AM, tth2 said:

Did you post an image of a comic?  I can't seem to see it.

Need I remind again before you go blind that you always need to put on your dark dark sunglasses before looking at a Heritage scan, let alone one with a white cover. doh! lol

My top Five Lots

1- Cap #1 6.0...still a lot of play left in this book...very nice copy.

2-Captain Future complete Pulp collection 1-17 including SEVEN Yakima pedigrees( mile high equal in pulps) in Fine condition. Stunning to get all those high grade on a complete collection..great material...bids very low still at only $800...once in a lifetime chance to get something like this.

3-Al Feldstein "s  "Destruction of the Earth" 8 page classic original art....what a great story and art...

4- Mad cover #59 classic Headless Horseman cover ...one of the best mad covers every created and also in "mint Condition"

5- Whiz #2 (1)..great origin story, great copy...a lot play left in this book also

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, Mmehdy said:

My top Five Lots

1- Cap #1 6.0...still a lot of play left in this book...very nice copy.

2-Captain Future complete Pulp collection 1-17 including SEVEN Yakima pedigrees( mile high equal in pulps) in Fine condition. Stunning to get all those high grade on a complete collection..great material...bids very low still at only $800...once in a lifetime chance to get something like this.

3-Al Feldstein "s  "Destruction of the Earth" 8 page classic original art....what a great story and art...

4- Mad cover #59 classic Headless Horseman cover ...one of the best mad covers every created and also in "mint Condition"

5- Whiz #2 (1)..great origin story, great copy...a lot play left in this book also

Why am I not surprised :p

On 11/9/2019 at 11:28 AM, jhm said:

The Carolina Collection that's being featured are mine and I've only released the sealed stuff. Buying that collection from Dain sent me into a tailspin for collecting and introduced me to a ton of new types of collectors. It pulled me away from GA books for awhile and helped me to realize I needed to purge about 100 GA books to continue exploring my other collecting interests, while holding onto my super-heavy-hitter prize books (according to me at least). I don't even want to say what I've spent so far this year on movie posters, concert posters, albums, old books, ..... sheesh.

The game you linked there is definitely a special one (made the cover of the catalog for the collection). I'm told there's at least one other sealed copy that's known to exist in like a 4.0 grade, but I've yet to see proof. If this doesn't hit six figures, I will likely rebuy my own damn game!

1726753806_ScreenShot2019-11-09at9_22_24AM.thumb.png.124abc89f840fbb4f6978ef6b39ac413.png

I think under six figures at auction is not something you should view as a disappointment Jeff, if that’s what happens.   I hope it gets there for you but these are uncharted waters at public auction.   

That said I threw a couple bids in for ya.  

Edited by Bronty