• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

$690k for the Crumb OA :whatthe:

I guess Beerbong can afford that other hip...

Seriously, this poster hung on the wall of every hippie's walls back in the day. I seem to remember it as a day glow poster. Probably one of Crumb's most famous pieces. The only piece I would maybe want more is the Zap #1 cover.

I hope it went where it might be exhibited for everyone to check out...

8 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Did the MAD #59 cover end yet? If so, anybody know the price?

Just an iconic Kelly Freas piece and one of my top 5 MAD covers.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/covers/kelly-freas-mad-59-painted-cover-original-art-ec-1960-/a/7212-91020.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

$44k

Overall, I felt that most books sold for lower than what I expected except for a few (Marvel 1, FF #4 9.6, JIM 83 9.2, Supes 1 1.0).  Was most surprised at how low the Action 7 1.8 sl. brittle, Cap 1 6.0, early Spidey's hammered in at.  This is what happens when there are a bunch of available copies out there to choose from or wait on (Bat 1 and Cap 1 come to mind).  Possible also that it is the worst time of year to sell books with the holidays coming up.  

13 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Thanks, what a steal, someone scored! 

It was an amazing piece that you could appreciate from different angles, not just because it was a MAD cover.

9 hours ago, sagii said:

Negro Romance 2 , wow $4920 w/BP :applause:

Still trending very well after the last CC auction of the series.

Yes, chased after the CGC 5.0 PLOD copy in the last CC auction, but it went a bit too high for me as it finished up at over $2,200 for a mid-grade restored copy.  :whatthe:

At least this HA copy here was a high grade CGC 9.2 unrestored copy, although I am quite sure the one in the CC auction could be easily "unrestored" since it had only a tear seal on the cover.  hm  

7 hours ago, Howling Mad said:
10 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

Wait, wasn't the last sale on this like $80K?!

EDIT - duh, it was on HA. $90K! Oofta to that buyer.

6 hours ago, szav said:

Yeah...sucks for the guy that paid 90k

Yes, and the exact reason why I don't really bother to waste my time looking at the CL auctions, let alone to even bid on them.  :p

Probably another case of 2 bidders deciding to throw out atomic bomb style bids at the end thinking that nobody else in their right mind would be doing the same thing.  The actual winner probably expected to win it at a much lower price point than the $90K which it blew up to, probably at just the last second.  (shrug)

Although it's definitely a case of to each their own, but I much prefer auction formats like HA or CC whereby I have full control in terms of knowing exactly what I will be paying if I am going to be winning a book, as opposed to having to throw out a high bid and just hoping for the best.  (thumbsu

43 minutes ago, entalmighty1 said:

I absolutely love how insane the lion looks on this cover.  Really sharp book Jay. (thumbsu 

Thanks Rob! I also like the unified color theme of purples on the background thingy (?), the bizarre plant in the foreground, and the peekaboo strap under her shirt.

14 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Overall, I felt that most books sold for lower than what I expected except for a few (Marvel 1, FF #4 9.6, JIM 83 9.2, Supes 1 1.0).  Was most surprised at how low the Action 7 1.8 sl. brittle, Cap 1 6.0, early Spidey's hammered in at.  This is what happens when there are a bunch of available copies out there to choose from or wait on (Bat 1 and Cap 1 come to mind).  Possible also that it is the worst time of year to sell books with the holidays coming up.  

Yeah that 6.0 Cap 1 result was horrific.  

But.... the copy itself did look over graded, and had terrible eye appeal, what with the rat chews and burned looking edges. 

-J.

47 minutes ago, Moondog said:
20 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Does anybody here remember what it sold for when it was only a CGC 8.5 graded copy and then when it resold as a CGC 9.0 graded copy?  hm

Raw VF/NM - $22,000

8.5 $120,000

9.0 $160,000

Round numbers.

Glad to see that you've been keeping close track of your former book here.  (thumbsu

Do you have the years that these sales occurred so that we can have some kind of perspective in relation to the rest of the comic book market at the time of these sales?  hm

12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes, and the exact reason why I don't really bother to waste my time looking at the CL auctions, let alone to even bid on them.  :p

Probably another case of 2 bidders deciding to throw out atomic bomb style bids at the end thinking that nobody else in their right mind would be doing the same thing.  The actual winner probably expected to win it at a much lower price point than the $90K which it blew up to, probably at just the last second.  (shrug)

Although it's definitely a case of to each their own, but I much prefer auction formats like HA or CC whereby I have full control in terms of knowing exactly what I will be paying if I am going to be winning a book, as opposed to having to throw out a high bid and just hoping for the best.  (thumbsu

Don't get it. What at CL is forcing people to "throw out a high bid and just hoping for the best" more so than HA/CC? Besides HA's live bidding portion, and CC's extended bidding...I'm not tracking a diff, and I don't see how either of those features impact an auction in the way you're saying? Not a rhetorical question btw...legitimately curious what I'm missing..

4 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

Yeah that 6.0 Cap 1 result was horrific.  

But.... the copy itself did look over graded, and had terrible eye appeal, what with the rat chews and burned looking edges. 

-J.

Exactly. The page edges looked burned to me. Like a kid held a magnifying glass to it. I could never have handled looking at that every day. 

the Bat 1 came in low, too. Same with the 8.5 FF 1, too. Wish I’d won that one. Like usual, I became the accidental owner of a book when  I threw down what I considered to be a low ball offer. Oops. Guess I don’t mind 2 copies of that book. 

As someone else already observed, this is the hardest season of the year to sell. Except for a few outliers like Cap 46, Superboy 68, Mask or the MC 1 9.4, I thought the prices were low

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

36 minutes ago, Callaway29 said:
12 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Don't get it. What at CL is forcing people to "throw out a high bid and just hoping for the best" more so than HA/CC? Besides HA's live bidding portion, and CC's extended bidding...I'm not tracking a diff, and I don't see how either of those features impact an auction in the way you're saying? Not a rhetorical question btw...legitimately curious what I'm missing..

The difference is that with the HA and CC auction formats, you know exactly what the high bid is at any given time and as a result, you can then make a rational and informed decision as to whether you want to go up to the next bid incerment or not.  (thumbsu

With the CL auction format, it's all about the auction having a fixed end time and you having to put in a high bid without knowing what the high bids are from the other competing bidders.  As a result, in this kind of setting, bidders that really want to win a particular book are tempted sometimes to throw in a substantially higher bid since they do not know what the other bidders are thinking and where their high bids will be landing.  :p

With the HA and CC format, I viewed it as you being in full control of the process since you are fully informed of thebids, as opposed to the CL format where you don't have all of the information at the critical end time in order to make a fully informed bid.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

The difference is that with the HA and CC auction formats, you know exactly what the high bid is at any given time and as a result, you can then make a rational and informed decision as to whether you want to go up to the next bid incerment or not.  (thumbsu

With the CL auction format, it's all about the auction having a fixed end time and you having to put in a high bid without knowing what the high bids are from the other competing bidders.  As a result, in this kind of setting, bidders that really want to win a particular book are tempted sometimes to throw in a substantially higher bid since they do not know what the other bidders are thinking and where their high bids will be landing.  :p

With the HA and CC format, I viewed it as you being in full control of the process since you are fully informed of thebids, as opposed to the CL format where you don't have all of the information at the critical end time in order to make a fully informed bid.  hm

They all use proxy’s though, right? I’ve bought off all 3 but honestly can’t remember...

On 11/21/2019 at 7:39 PM, szav said:

Very happy with mine! (More of a budget pick :cloud9:

1F13067A-422B-4043-8E06-1A4B988D35A7.jpeg

Edited by jabats