• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Silver said:

I know this is a GA forum, but I thought some of the high grade Shasta Lake SA DC’s did amazingly well. 

Agreed.  In some cases near double the most recent comps.  I was hoping to nab a B&B or two, but I couldn't justify the high prices. 

6 hours ago, dem1138 said:

Police #1 CGC 2.5 hammers at 5k+

All I can say is that this particular book has been on fire and buring red hot for the past year or so after being in the doldrums for a long long time:  :applause:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Police Comics #1 (Quality, 1941) CGC GD+ 2.5 Off-white to white pages....

It's about time this key book woke up from its decades long slumber, as clearly evident with this relatively low grade copy going for over 4X condition guide.  Definitely something which we would not have seen a couple of years ago.  :whatthe:

4 hours ago, szav said:

All Top 16 cgc 8.5 $8700...

All I can say is that this is an absolutely shockingly strong price for a copy of All Top 16 in CGC 8.5:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, All Top Comics #16 (Fox Features Syndicate, 1949) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

Although it's one of the 2 highest graded copies, it's still only a CGC 8.5.  (shrug)

Or are they possibly hoping for Seven Seas 4 mentality to come into play when they look at this cover.  hm  :wishluck:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

All I can say is that this is an absolutely shockingly strong price for a copy of All Top 16 in CGC 8.5:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, All Top Comics #16 (Fox Features Syndicate, 1949) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

Although it's one of the 2 highest graded copies, it's still only a CGC 8.5.  (shrug)

Or are they possibly hoping for Seven Seas 4 mentality to come into play when they look at this cover.  hm  :wishluck:

It's a great cover, but no Seven Seas 4. And it is one of the best, if not the best All Top cover. However SS4 is in a league of it's own.

5 hours ago, goldenacase said:

I really wanted The Arrow 2 but went for way more than I thought it would . This is a wonderful consolation prize the lowest on the CGC census but I love those Arrow covers

lf-12.jpeg

The Arrow did go pretty high but a great second choice always loved the colors on this one :banana:

6 hours ago, goldenacase said:

I really wanted The Arrow 2 but went for way more than I thought it would . This is a wonderful consolation prize the lowest on the CGC census but I love those Arrow covers

lf-12.jpeg

That's a great book with a spectacular cover.  Congratulations!  When I first saw this post, something kept tickling the back of my brain about the placement of the villain's hands.  So I did a little experiment.

Step one: I stuck an arrow into my left shoulder

Step two: Grabbed the arrow with my left hand

Couldn't find a handy lion's cage, so just had to fake the next part (also the point at which I realized I didn't have to stick an arrow in my shoulder to recreate this cover    doh!)

Step three: Put my right hand behind my back with the back of my hand facing forward and tried to figure out how to make my thumb point downward

Bam!  That's when it hit me (as I'm waiting in the ER to have an arrow removed).  The poor villain (in addition to being born with a classic evil face) was born with two left hands!  Certainly doesn't excuse his heinous actions towards little Sue, but it does make me a little more sympathetic towards "Lefty."  Just speculation, but he probably had two left feet as well.  He couldn't get a date to the prom, his dream of appearing on "Dancing With the Stars" hopelessly crushed, unable to use a computer mouse...what choice did he have but to turn to a life of crime?

Edited by walclark

On 11/21/2019 at 4:37 PM, Ricksneatstuff said:

fc.jpg

When I see books posted in this thread I assume they are for collections. Then I see it as make offer to owner so now I think it's for a quick flip or just curious what offer I can get but I'm keeping it. Reminds me of the commercial where guy buys an expensive painting at auction and is immediately ready to sell it before going onto the next item for auction.

Do people have good luck at times doing this so soon?

15 minutes ago, lhcomics said:

When I see books posted in this thread I assume they are for collections. Then I see it as make offer to owner so now I think it's for a quick flip or just curious what offer I can get but I'm keeping it. Reminds me of the commercial where guy buys an expensive painting at auction and is immediately ready to sell it before going onto the next item for auction.

Do people have good luck at times doing this so soon?

My guess? Occasionally 

16 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, it looks like the Cindy 37's are continuing their march upwards with this copy finishing up at $4,200 even withut any additional live bids:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Romance, Cindy Comics #37 (Timely, 1949) CGC FN 6.0 White pages....

At this elevated price point, I would probably go much more for a book like this at a fraction of the price:

:luhv:   :takeit:

A 7.0 Cindy #37 sold June 2017 for $5,225, so this result seems in-line.  There is an 8.0 (highest graded) on clink right now, so that will be interesting.

imo, Junie ain't no Cindy.  Its the WWII pin-up style of Cindy cover that set's it apart.

14 hours ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Well, looks like that complete GGA cover run of Junior Comics must have finished in record price territory with all of them in the $3K+ range.  :luhv:   (thumbsu

Surprisingly, this recently particular hot issue finished up with the lowest price out of the entire run at only $3,120:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Junior Comics #15 (Fox, 1948) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Off-white pages....

That was a surprise to me as well. At the end of the day I broke just above even on the Junior and Sunny runs. Definitely awesome books and I hope some boardies got some of them. 

If you pretty much broke even on the Junior set of books, I assume you must not have picked them up from Heritage then since their archives indicate that all of these prices were the highest they had ever recorded for any of their Junior books?  hm

I took a half-hearted stab at Junior's 11 and 13, came close, but still no cigar.  :frown:

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

If you pretty much broke even on the Junior set of books, I assume you must not have picked them up from Heritage then since their archives indicate that all of these prices were the highest they had ever recorded for any of their Junior books?  hm

I took a half-hearted stab at Junior's 11 and 13, came close, but still no cigar.  :frown:

Most were private buys. Great bunch of books. My favorite GGA run in the golden age with a nod to Phantom Lady of course.

4 hours ago, jabats said:

There continue to be escalating prices on books where I don't even understand what the appeal is - but it doesn't mean the appeal isn't there. Actually it's a good thing for the hobby to not be so tied to spandex-wearing superheroes. I say that as someone heavily invested into DC Golden Age!

Yes indeed, as it was certainly nice to see some long out of favor genres or publishers like Dell with their Four Color run be able to fetch strong prices:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Four Color (Series One) #25 Popeye - Central Valley Pedigree (Dell, 1942) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white pages....

Even a book like this (albeit a pedigree copy and the highest graded copy) being able to sell for multiples to guide at $2,880 along with a few other Popeye's.  :applause:

Or even some of the Four Color Western books which have never seen much steam at all for multi-decades:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Western, Four Color #734 Cheyenne - File Copy (Dell, 1956) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white pages....

Love these uber HG Dell File Copies such as this one here which sold for multiple top of guide at $1,080.  (thumbsu

Okay, I might be stretching it a bit with the Westerns here since books since although virtually all of them sold at a healthy premium to guide, you still got the odd ones like Rocky Lane #1 which managed to go at only a big discount to guide.  (shrug)