• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,076 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, Ricksneatstuff said:
19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

If you pretty much broke even on the Junior set of books, I assume you must not have picked them up from Heritage then since their archives indicate that all of these prices were the highest they had ever recorded for any of their Junior books?  hm

I took a half-hearted stab at Junior's 11 and 13, came close, but still no cigar.  :frown:

Most were private buys. Great bunch of books. My favorite GGA run in the golden age with a nod to Phantom Lady of course.

Most definitely a great GGA run of books in terms of the Junior's.  :luhv:

I thought one of the names of the game with private buys is that you should hopefully be able to get a slightly better price as compared to public auctions where competing bidders would be out there in force running the price up on you.  (shrug)

On the other hand, I guess the other name of the game with private buys is that it gives you ACCESS to the books where others would not have, and with in-demand hot books, this usually comes at a price.  Of course, the key being that you get all the books in the end.  (thumbsu

Just now, lou_fine said:

Most definitely a great GGA run of books in terms of the Junior's.  :luhv:

I thought one of the names of the game with private buys is that you should hopefully be able to get a slightly better price as compared to public auctions where competing bidders would be out there in force running the price up on you.  (shrug)

On the other hand, I guess the other name of the game with private buys is that it gives you ACCESS to the books where others would not have, and with in-demand hot books, this usually comes at a price.  Of course, the key being that you get all the books in the end.  (thumbsu

I have paid crazy on private buys and got deals. It all depends I suppose on how tough the book is. 

That All Top 16 went about $1k less than I was expecting actually. Definitely a book that has gained momentum the last year or two.

Being a long term collector myself, I've never quite understood the mentality for buyers to put some of their books back out to market so soon after paying what most likely amounts to top dollar for their book:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Wings Comics #90 (Fiction House, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages....

Especially when the chance of losing money is quite high after paying top of market like this Wings 90 which sold on one of the CC Event Auctions last year for $4K, but only able to fetch $3K on this go round with Heritage.  hm

Okay, in this day and age of CPR and flipping, I guess an entire year must seem like a lifetime, but still.  (:

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Being a long term collector myself, I've never quite understood the mentality for buyers to put some of their books back out to market so soon after paying what most likely amounts to top dollar for their book:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Wings Comics #90 (Fiction House, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages....

Especially when the chance of losing money is quite high after paying top of market like this Wings 90 which sold on one of the CC Event Auctions last year for $4K, but only able to fetch $3K on this go round with Heritage.  hm

Okay, in this day and age of CPR and flipping, I guess an entire year must seem like a lifetime, but still.  (:

To be fair, this particular copy has an exceptionally poor color strike, probably the worst I've ever seen on any copy in any grade.

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, as it was certainly nice to see some long out of favor genres or publishers like Dell with their Four Color run be able to fetch strong prices:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Four Color (Series One) #25 Popeye - Central Valley Pedigree (Dell, 1942) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white pages....

Even a book like this (albeit a pedigree copy and the highest graded copy) being able to sell for multiples to guide at $2,880 along with a few other Popeye's.  :applause:

Or even some of the Four Color Western books which have never seen much steam at all for multi-decades:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Western, Four Color #734 Cheyenne - File Copy (Dell, 1956) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white pages....

Love these uber HG Dell File Copies such as this one here which sold for multiple top of guide at $1,080.  (thumbsu

Okay, I might be stretching it a bit with the Westerns here since books since although virtually all of them sold at a healthy premium to guide, you still got the odd ones like Rocky Lane #1 which managed to go at only a big discount to guide.  (shrug)

May I be the first to congratulate you on those books! 

4 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Completely agree with this.  Flipping has the unseemly look of day-trading, and it’s anathema to collecting.

For one thing, when the same books immediately reappear in subsequent auctions it leaves the impression of desperation or chasing money.  OTOH, it’s reasonable when a book does much better than expected for other copies in higher and/or lower grade to follow, owners of those books hoping for a big payday in the wake of a trend setting sale.

47 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

Being my first time buying through HA, do they send you an invoice or do you pay through the site? I suspect there's a fee for credit card payments? Any tips and tricks?

They will email you an invoice most likely on Monday. You can pay with credit card without a fee I believe or pay through your checking account. 

Although the old traditional GGA cover books have been super red hot in this current marketplace, it looks like the new wave of GGA cover books must be even hotter wne a book like this with the much dreaded and usual absolute price killer of having Slightly BRITTLE Pages can still managed to fetch $12K or close to 15X condition guide:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Scoop Comics #2 (Chesler, 1942) CGC FN 6.0 Slightly brittle pages....

I never ever knew that GGA (i.e. Good Guy Art ) cover art was so super red hot!!!  lol

Looks like the Seven Seas 4 girl is going to have to do a bit of fast swimming to catch up to this rather dapper looking gent here.  :bigsmile:

Edited by lou_fine

48 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Although the old traditional GGA cover books have been super red hot in this current marketplace, it looks like the new wave of GGA cover books must be even hotter wne a book like this with the much dreaded and usual absolute price killer of having Slightly BRITTLE Pages can still managed to fetch $12K or close to 15X condition guide:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Scoop Comics #2 (Chesler, 1942) CGC FN 6.0 Slightly brittle pages....

I never ever knew that GGA (i.e. Good Guy Art ) cover art was so super red hot!!!  lol

Looks like the Seven Seas 4 girl is going to have to do a bit of fast swimming to catch up to this rather dapper looking gent here.  :bigsmile:

Wait a minute.  I have a different issue.  I thought the grade included the page quality - hence a brittle page book that looks like a 6.0 should actually blue label significantly less.  This should be apparent 6.0.  Kinda upsetting frankly.

1 minute ago, path4play said:

Wait a minute.  I have a different issue.  I thought the grade included the page quality - hence a brittle page book that looks like a 6.0 should actually blue label significantly less.  This should be apparent 6.0.  Kinda upsetting frankly.

I'm confused. I don't believe the grade itself is impacted by the page quality, that's separate. Say you had two books that were somehow identical sans page quality. One could be a 6.0 white, while the other is a 6.0 brittle. Are you stating you thought the brittle one would be say a 5.0 instead of a 6?

I think CGC did this purposely. They don't judge wrap quality either, which frankly is frustrating as many of the 70's Marvels look horrid.

2 minutes ago, path4play said:

Well, who's to say that this wasn't a CGC 8.0 quality condition book that was then downgraded to CGC 6.0 to account for the Slightly Brittle pages.  hm

1 minute ago, Howling Mad said:

I'm confused. I don't believe the grade itself is impacted by the page quality, that's separate. Say you had two books that were somehow identical sans page quality. One could be a 6.0 white, while the other is a 6.0 brittle. Are you stating you thought the brittle one would be say a 5.0 instead of a 6?

I think CGC did this purposely. They don't judge wrap quality either, which frankly is frustrating as many of the 70's Marvels look horrid.

Yes, that is what I am saying.  A visually 6.0, with crispy oven baked deteriorating dark flaking pages would not (should not?) blue label 6.0.  Likewise a gorgeous subtle white page beauty would grade higher even if there was a tiny bend on the spine for example.

Just now, path4play said:

Yes, that is what I am saying.  A visually 6.0, with crispy oven baked deteriorating dark flaking pages would not (should not?) blue label 6.0.  Likewise a gorgeous subtle white page beauty would grade higher even if there was a tiny bend on the spine for example.

I mean, I don't disagree, but this is how it works. I think by doing it less way they take one more subjective element out of the formula.

There's already so much "art" in the grading process as it is. Heck, you see books change page quality once often when resubbed--how does that happen?

2 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:
5 minutes ago, path4play said:

I believe you might actually be correct here with your statement in general for almost all books.  (thumbsu

Since CGC doesn't disclose their grading standards though for so-called proprietary reasons :screwy:, I do believe they take the PQ into account and downgrade accordingly once a book starts to get into the Slightly Brittle category or worse.  (shrug)

Just now, Howling Mad said:

I mean, I don't disagree, but this is how it works. I think by doing it less way they take one more subjective element out of the formula.

There's already so much "art" in the grading process as it is. Heck, you see books change page quality once often when resubbed--how does that happen?

There was a thread here once with the highest graded brittle pages books.  I am searching for it presently.