• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, comicnoir said:

I MISSED THAT!!  Shoot, trite as it is, I woulda added that to my collection 

20 hours ago, Zolnerowich said:
22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, as it was certainly nice to see some long out of favor genres or publishers like Dell with their Four Color run be able to fetch strong prices:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Cartoon Character, Four Color (Series One) #25 Popeye - Central Valley Pedigree (Dell, 1942) CGC VF/NM 9.0 Off-white to white pages....

Even a book like this (albeit a pedigree copy and the highest graded copy) being able to sell for multiples to guide at $2,880 along with a few other Popeye's.  :applause:

Or even some of the Four Color Western books which have never seen much steam at all for multi-decades:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Western, Four Color #734 Cheyenne - File Copy (Dell, 1956) CGC NM+ 9.6 Off-white pages....

Love these uber HG Dell File Copies such as this one here which sold for multiple top of guide at $1,080.  (thumbsu

Okay, I might be stretching it a bit with the Westerns here since books since although virtually all of them sold at a healthy premium to guide, you still got the odd ones like Rocky Lane #1 which managed to go at only a big discount to guide.  (shrug)

May I be the first to congratulate you on those books! 

You definitely must have me confused with somebody else here who has much deeper pockets than myself.  lol

Being the old school type of collector, I am used to paying much closer to guide (preferably a discount to guide :bigsmile:) and a book would have to hit quite a few targets before I would be willing to pay a huge premium, let along multiples of guide for a particular book.

Posted these 2 books as just a sign that it's nice to see the strength of the comic book marketplace spread beyond the traditional heroes who likes to wear their undies on the outside and into genres that have traditionally been in kind of a deep freeze.  (thumbsu

Another example being this copy of Star Trek 1 which I initially thought had gone for a pretty strong price at $20,400:

Silver Age (1956-1969):Science Fiction, Star Trek #1 (Gold Key, 1967) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

Then again, maybe not so much as the Heritage Archives indicates the Twin Cities copy in equivalent grade selling for $22,705 way back in 2012 and I also remember CC successfully auctioning their highest graded copy for over $40K quite a few years ago.  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

17 hours ago, RareHighGrade said:
18 hours ago, Electron said:

My lone win. I'm thrilled to add this to my collection! In fact, my enthusiasm had me re-reading the first 50 pages of the post your Adventure/New Adevnture thread this morning. lol

lf.jpeg

Great book and one that is extremely hard to find, especially in mid-grade or better, congrats.  :applause: The jungle themed pre-hero DCs seem to be in very high demand lately. 

Personally, I've always found these particular pre-hero books extremely hard to find and have always been in much higher demand as compared to their other neighboring issues.

Although this particular hippo issue is at the top of the list, others favorites of mine would also include Adventure 34, 36, and even books like More Fun 47 and 48 with the dinosaur cover.  :luhv:

I am actually surprised that Overstreet still hasn't bother to break out some of these books to a much greater extent since there is a definite and significant difference in price between some of these issues.  hm  :taptaptap:

On 11/24/2019 at 3:00 PM, lou_fine said:

Being a long term collector myself, I've never quite understood the mentality for buyers to put some of their books back out to market so soon after paying what most likely amounts to top dollar for their book:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Adventure, Wings Comics #90 (Fiction House, 1948) CGC NM 9.4 Off-white to white pages....

Especially when the chance of losing money is quite high after paying top of market like this Wings 90 which sold on one of the CC Event Auctions last year for $4K, but only able to fetch $3K on this go round with Heritage.  hm

Okay, in this day and age of CPR and flipping, I guess an entire year must seem like a lifetime, but still.  (:

On 11/24/2019 at 3:27 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

Completely agree with this.  Flipping has the unseemly look of day-trading, and it’s anathema to collecting.

For one thing, when the same books immediately reappear in subsequent auctions it leaves the impression of desperation or chasing money.  OTOH, it’s reasonable when a book does much better than expected for other copies in higher and/or lower grade to follow, owners of those books hoping for a big payday in the wake of a trend setting sale.

I don't flip books. I decided to prune and refine my comic collection a bit. I have an 8.5 that's just a nicer looking copy. I'm a big fan of vibrant color and this copy was lacking that. I admittedly overbid on it initially.

I had about 50 books in the HA auction and another 50+ in the upcoming ComicConnect auction. Those who know me know I'm a big fan of transparency. So if anyone is ever wondering what my motivations for selling (or buying) any comic (or the countless other collecting obsessions I have) is welcome to send me an email: jeff@gocollect.com

On 11/24/2019 at 4:42 PM, lou_fine said:

Although the old traditional GGA cover books have been super red hot in this current marketplace, it looks like the new wave of GGA cover books must be even hotter wne a book like this with the much dreaded and usual absolute price killer of having Slightly BRITTLE Pages can still managed to fetch $12K or close to 15X condition guide:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Scoop Comics #2 (Chesler, 1942) CGC FN 6.0 Slightly brittle pages....

I never ever knew that GGA (i.e. Good Guy Art ) cover art was so super red hot!!!  lol

Looks like the Seven Seas 4 girl is going to have to do a bit of fast swimming to catch up to this rather dapper looking gent here.  :bigsmile:

This was the single book I was winning at all costs in the auction. I was shocked I had to pay as much as I did, but it's the first decent copy that's crossed my path. If a nicer copy is offered to me I'll likely buy it and push this one back to the masses (and likely take a loss).

On 11/23/2019 at 3:49 AM, lou_fine said:

Don't know anything at all about collectible video games, but it looks like this one here sold for a pretty hefty price:

Video Games:Nintendo, Mega Man ["Dr. Wright" First Release] - Carolina Collection Wata 9.4 A+ Sealed NES Capcom 1987 USA....

Managed to hit $75K which seems like quite a bit, but if I remember correctly, the consignor was apparently saying they wouldn't be happy if this one failed to hit 6-figures at the minimum.  :whatthe:

If so, I imagine somebody's not totally happy, although I am not sure how the rest of his Carolina Collection fared in the end.  hm

I was disappointed with this single sale. But overall, I sold about 300 nintendo games for nearly $500,000.

I'm pretty sure I shot myself in the foot on this Mega Man. I told everyone I knew that I would be the high bidder if it went for under $100k. Before the auction began I was kindly asked to trust the system and not bid on it (it would have been the only game I bid on). I agreed not to bid and whomever the new owner is did EXTREMELY well on this purchase. Time will prove that hands down. I have no idea who won it.  Had I not ran my mouth about bidding before-hand I likely wouldn't have scared away a few of the bigger bidders. Lesson learned!

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Being the old school type of collector, I am used to paying much closer to guide (preferably a discount to guide :bigsmile:) and a book would have to hit quite a few targets before I would be willing to pay a huge premium, let along multiples of guide for a particular book.

I've always wondered, if everyone only paid Guide, then wouldn't prices stay at the same level forever?

17 minutes ago, jhm said:

I'm pretty sure I shot myself in the foot on this Mega Man. I told everyone I knew that I would be the high bidder if it went for under $100k. Before the auction began I was kindly asked to trust the system and not bid on it (it would have been the only game I bid on). I agreed not to bid and whomever the new owner is did EXTREMELY well on this purchase. Time will prove that hands down. I have no idea who won it.  Had I not ran my mouth about bidding before-hand I likely wouldn't have scared away a few of the bigger bidders. Lesson learned!

Sorry, just to make sure I understand your post, are you saying that you were ready to shill your own lot?

Just now, tth2 said:

Sorry, just to make sure I understand your post, are you saying that you were ready to shill your own lot?

No - I was ready to hold ownership. My goal (if I would have bid) was not to increase the overall bid, but to buy back at a price that I would have paid had I not been the consignor. It is the only copy that I know to exist. I've been told of 2 others, but have never seen any proof that they exist.

I'm pissed that I don't have it anymore. And I would gladly purchase it back if the new owner wants to quick flip it. It was sold as part of a very large collection that I had already agreed to sell in that historic event. I'm an emotional collector...  and I don't mind admitting that.

I appreciate you asking. This is what I pulled as a good description of shill bidding:

1988590687_ScreenShot2019-11-25at9_57_14PM.thumb.png.869bea2b5ed2b8338b67764b36d25473.png

21 minutes ago, jhm said:

So long as I'm spamming this thread (sorry... saw a lot I wanted to respond to), here's the books I took down :banana:

1887575473_ScreenShot2019-11-25at9_35_07PM.thumb.png.dadac0111fc1d4363bb42bfb16afe4c6.png1978169198_ScreenShot2019-11-25at9_35_30PM.thumb.png.c7cbc04a3c9d2b05658bb5d90e1a2f12.png

Most of these were upgrades. Some I bought because they were cheap (GL #2, MF #73). And a couple were bought because I'm a junkie for ultra rare books in high grade - all of those Mile High Champs were unbelievable to see come back to auction again.

I'm just glad you all aren't monitoring my concert poster purchases! :shy::roflmao:

gocollect is paying quite well I see lol nice wins.

12 minutes ago, jhm said:

I'm pissed that I don't have it anymore. And I would gladly purchase it back if the new owner wants to quick flip it.

Not sure if this bidder conciously has his Make An Offer button turned on or is this as per usual, automatically done by HA and he simply hasn't turned it off:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/mega-man-dr-wright-first-release-carolina-collection-wata-94-a-sealed-nes-capcom-1987-usa/a/7212-93030.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

You could go on and try to make him an offer since it says "This item's Owner is proactively entertaining Offers". hm

1 hour ago, jhm said:

I had about 50 books in the HA auction and another 50+ in the upcoming ComicConnect auction.

Nothing for CL on this particular go round, it would appears as it looks like a 50:50 split between HA and CC.  (thumbsu

Based upon your past experiences with selling, are the results from both HA and CC pretty much the same after you factor back out all of the relevant fees?  hm

Or is it really more on an individual book by book basis?  

BTW: Congrats on that huge $500K Nintendo games sale and best of luck to you on your upcoming CC consignments.  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

36 minutes ago, jhm said:

No - I was ready to hold ownership. My goal (if I would have bid) was not to increase the overall bid, but to buy back at a price that I would have paid had I not been the consignor. It is the only copy that I know to exist. I've been told of 2 others, but have never seen any proof that they exist.

I'm pissed that I don't have it anymore. And I would gladly purchase it back if the new owner wants to quick flip it. It was sold as part of a very large collection that I had already agreed to sell in that historic event. I'm an emotional collector...  and I don't mind admitting that.

I appreciate you asking. This is what I pulled as a good description of shill bidding:

1988590687_ScreenShot2019-11-25at9_57_14PM.thumb.png.869bea2b5ed2b8338b67764b36d25473.png

FWIW: if I were bidding on a lot and found out that the lot's seller was bidding against me, I'd be pissed. The distinction you're making is not one that would make any difference.  2c

3 hours ago, jhm said:

I was disappointed with this single sale. But overall, I sold about 300 nintendo games for nearly $500,000.

I enjoy when boardies talk about games.  I trust these voices and I've speculated on games so always good to get some insights.

9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Nothing for CL on this particular go round, it would appears as it looks like a 50:50 split between HA and CC.  (thumbsu

Based upon your past experiences with selling, are the results from both HA and CC pretty much the same after you factor back out all of the relevant fees?  hm

Or is it really more on an individual book by book basis?  

BTW: Congrats on that huge $500K Nintendo games sale and best of luck to you on your upcoming CC consignments.  :wishluck:

In case it's not clear to some, I own GoCollect. Both Heritage and ComicConnect have been a joy to work with on the sales data side of things. I appreciate each of their unique visions for the future of the hobby. I also appreciate the transparency they each offer, which is why I sold through them. I did initially sell the first batch of sealed Carolina Collection games with CL, but ultimately decided to go a different route for personal reasons. There are still a couple thousand more games in the Carolina Collection and I'm not prepared to exclude any sales direction just yet... including a potential, longer-term hold.

Up to this point, I've rarely sold much. I buy far more than I can seem to part with O.o So I don't have much seller history to speak to. That said, I do a ton of data analysis and both of these companies do a stellar job of maintaining consistent results. If you've got some good stuff to offer, bring them to both companies (and your other favorites) to see how much negotiation there may be available on those fees ;) But do yourself and your potential sellers a favor by being transparent with them that you're shopping around. Ask each of them when the next auction will be and what else they expect to be included. Then start your data digging. Timing and overall offerings always seem to play a role.

And...thanks for the congrats and well wishes!