• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2019 at 1:34 AM, Ghastly542454 said:

I got 2 big wins! At least they were big wins as far as I’m concerned. With the wins of All Star Comics #2 and #47, I am now only missing #1 to have the complete run of All Star Comics #1-#57.

1EEF4AC7-324E-4DDA-9BB8-4255FF06977F.jpeg

Congrats on the book. And it's the Detroit Trolley copy to boot! :applause:

28 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

It's a collection of original owner comics brought to market in 2005 by Marnin Rosenburg.

Here's the Scoop article for the Detroit Trolley Collection from April 29, 2005.

DT_scoop-article.gif

Awesome! Thank you! I wonder if the All Star #2 will come with a certificate?

44 minutes ago, Ghastly542454 said:

Let's hope so... but something tells me the certificate may be long gone.

The book you bought is part of an effort to recover ~$9M in embezzled funds. The backstory is a rather sordid tale of a corrupt lawyer and dirty cops. Many links on the web about the case, here's just a few...     

Tadano America comic book embezzler named one of top 10 costliest frauds

Texas Police Accused of Stealing Pricey Comics

Comic Conman, A True Crime Tale of Comic Books, Corruption, and a $9 Million Vanishing Act

18 hours ago, jhm said:

This was the single book I was winning at all costs in the auction. I was shocked I had to pay as much as I did, but it's the first decent copy that's crossed my path. If a nicer copy is offered to me I'll likely buy it and push this one back to the masses (and likely take a loss).

I have seen, maybe, two copies better than this (I own one)...and the PQ on them wasn't great. I suspect that issue was manufactured with poor paper stock. 

On 11/24/2019 at 12:59 AM, comicnoir said:

It's a great cover, but no Seven Seas 4. And it is one of the best, if not the best All Top cover. However SS4 is in a league of it's own.

Personally, if this were sitting next to SS4 in the same grade, I'd take the All Top without a 2nd thought. Different strokes.

56 minutes ago, MasterChief said:

The book you bought is part of an effort to recover ~$9M in embezzled funds. The backstory is a rather sordid tale of a corrupt lawyer and dirty cops. Many links on the web about the case, here's just a few...     

Tadano America comic book embezzler named one of top 10 costliest frauds

Texas Police Accused of Stealing Pricey Comics

Comic Conman, A True Crime Tale of Comic Books, Corruption, and a $9 Million Vanishing Act

That is beyond amazing!!! I have never heard or read anything about this story!

5 hours ago, MasterChief said:

I lost out on the OA I was gunning for... but was able to walk away with this.

21577898%5D&call=url%5Bfile:product.chai

Well, you can never go wrong with the first issue and first appearance of a long-running eventual Marvel series, especially when it looks like you managed to scoop it up at a very reasonable price.  (thumbsu  :applause:

2 hours ago, MasterChief said:
3 hours ago, Ghastly542454 said:

The book you bought is part of an effort to recover ~$9M in embezzled funds. The backstory is a rather sordid tale of a corrupt lawyer and dirty cops.

Well, let's hope Tadano made out a whole lot better with the sale of this All-Star 2 as compared to the huge loss they had to take on the key All-Star 3 sale.  :wishluck:

Looks like the original purchaser of the Billy Wright copy back in February of 2012 made out like a bandit when he was able to flip it out to Anthony Chiafolo for $200K less than a week later through the Make Offer to Owner after picking it up for only $49,293.75:   :whatthe:  :flipbait:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/all-star-comics-3-billy-wright-pedigree-dc-1940-cgc-vf-85-off-white-to-white-pages/a/7054-91043.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|2

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, All Star Comics #3 Billy Wright pedigree (DC, 1940) CGC VF+ 8.5 Off-white to white pages....

Unfortunately for Tadano America, it looks like Heritage was able to fetch only $72K for the book in the August 2019 Heritage Auction after getting it regraded for the same equivalent grade in June of this year.  :tonofbricks:  :cry:

Edited by lou_fine

20 hours ago, Point Five said:

FWIW: if I were bidding on a lot and found out that the lot's seller was bidding against me, I'd be pissed. The distinction you're making is not one that would make any difference.  2c

Just one of many reasons I no longer bid in Heritage auctions. Apparently, shill bidding is legal in TX. Just doesn’t seem right or fair. 

On 11/24/2019 at 3:34 AM, Ghastly542454 said:

I got 2 big wins! At least they were big wins as far as I’m concerned. With the wins of All Star Comics #2 and #47, I am now only missing #1 to have the complete run of All Star Comics #1-#57.

1EEF4AC7-324E-4DDA-9BB8-4255FF06977F.jpeg

3DBB5FD8-65AC-4C80-9A87-67E626D8D49F.jpeg

Wow, quite the achievement and a great run. I remember back in the day you couldn’t get much better than a run of All Star. Good luck on that last one!

29 minutes ago, Robot Man said:
21 hours ago, Point Five said:

FWIW: if I were bidding on a lot and found out that the lot's seller was bidding against me, I'd be pissed. The distinction you're making is not one that would make any difference.  2c

Just one of many reasons I no longer bid in Heritage auctions. Apparently, shill bidding is legal in TX. Just doesn’t seem right or fair. 

Then you should be fine to go with bidding on CC's auction since I heard through the grapevine that their platform locks the consignor out from bidding on their own books. (thumbsu

Of course, that doesn't mean they can't get a friend or someone else to bid and run the book up anyways, which any auction platform would not be able to prevent. (shrug)

56 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

I learned this lesson the hard way on HA. Overpaying with the last minute bids that jacked the books up into the stratosphere

1 hour ago, Casablanca said:

I learned this lesson the hard way on HA. Overpaying with the last minute bids that jacked the books up into the stratosphere

I know a couple guys that refuse to buy from them because of buyers premiums and suspect bids. Another way to look at it is, when proxy bidding, the buyers premium next bid is displayed, and if you feel the price is too high, stop bidding. Definitely different ways to go out there, with respect to preferred auction sites. I only have one experience with Heritage, and one with Comic Link. I preferred the ease of CL and the lack of the buyers premium. Heritage seems to really bring the bigger books and numbers, though. Let's just keep everything here on the boards!!!:idea: