• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,076 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2020 at 11:28 AM, Point Five said:

@Ricksneatstuff  I just received the HA book I won last week and agree with Andy's comment above. My book's colors are duller than what the scan represented, so while I'm excited to own it the colors feel like a letdown.

Looking back through my HA purchases (since 2008!), IMO this was not a problem prior to the past couple of months. The scan colors seem amped way up across the board and are not representing the books accurately, which makes me hesitant to go big on any future books. Is that feedback you could pass on to HA's comics department for us?

+1000

This has been occurring for some time now, I first noticed it 1 1/2 years ago with my GA Cap purchase and posted about it and I assume it was happening before then.  If you could address anything about HA for us, Rick, it would be to shed some light on this issue.

43 minutes ago, Dr. Love said:

+1000

This has been occurring for some time now, I first noticed it 1 1/2 years ago with my GA Cap purchase and posted about it and I assume it was happening before then.  If you could address anything about HA for us, Rick, it would be to shed some light on this issue.

Excellent observation.

I’d hoped Heritage or CGC would’ve addressed this problem by now.  It’s been an issue impacting scanned books since CGC redesigned holders and labels several years ago.  

Apparently HA pumps the colors to compensate for the increased lip depth of the holder.  The added depth produces darker scans ....except for the label which is locked into a separate raised section close to the surface.  Label colors and the jet-black grade pops, but recessed books dull in comparison.  I’ve posted side by side comparisons of older & newer holders which bear this out.

HA’s remedy seems to be to boost and brighten everything until all of the colors appear to be on the same level.  To some degree it mitigates the overbearing label by lightening the blue, washing the label out to a minor degree.  But the downside is that this technique overcompensates introducing artificially enhanced color to most covers.  

I’m not asserting any wrongful intent to mislead here, just stating that there’s an obvious issue that has been difficult to remedy.  Both CGC and HA are responsible for this quandary.  IMO, the best solution would be for CGC to redesign holders so that the “billboard” label doesn’t stand out in front of the books.  That would make it easier to achieve accurate, color balanced scans that auction bidders can trust.

:tink:

On 1/7/2020 at 4:16 PM, october said:

Just got a $1000 book in that looks significantly duller than advertised. I'm all but done with Heritage because of it.

Maybe the answer is to ask HA for a "true" photograph.  

Edited by pemart1966

On 1/7/2020 at 3:01 PM, lou_fine said:

And if you happen to own a copy of Supes 1 and was on the fence about consigning it to Heritage for auction.....this is definitely NOT the time to do it.....huge downside.  :tonofbricks:

Needless to say, if I was one of the consignors for these Supes 1, I would be totally  :mad: :censored: with what Heritage did here in terms of taking away one of the biggest selling points behind this book here.  Namely, it's apparent rarity relative to all of the other GA keys and instead showing its obvious ready availability to the other GA keys.  doh!

Although a much more minor key, there's a similar situation with Captain America's Weird Tales 74 - https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+793+794+791+792+1893+1577+2088&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=Weird+Tales+%2374&limitTo=all&ic=homepage-search-A-K-071316

Generally they do a decent job at spacing these books out, but apparently not in Q1 2020.

38 minutes ago, Howling Mad said:

Although a much more minor key, there's a similar situation with Captain America's Weird Tales 74 - https://www.ha.com/c/search-results.zx?N=0+793+794+791+792+1893+1577+2088&Ntk=SI_Titles-Desc&Nty=1&Ntt=Weird+Tales+%2374&limitTo=all&ic=homepage-search-A-K-071316

Generally they do a decent job at spacing these books out, but apparently not in Q1 2020.

Judging from the brightness of their scans the guys at Heritage do spaced out pretty well.  

On 1/8/2020 at 11:53 AM, Ricksneatstuff said:
On 1/8/2020 at 9:41 AM, Mmehdy said:

next auction...somebody reading the boards....

The 1.0 was sold. It was posted as a clerical error. @Gotham Kid

Is this because books sold directly by HA (i.e. not through auction) are not recorded as part of their archives since the only recent CGC 1.0 graded copy I can find is a Cr/OW copy that sold for $83,650 back in May of 2017?  ???

6 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

It is really shaping up to be a great auction.

10 minutes ago, DRNemesis said:

Is this the best avenue to sell books.  I have quite a few GA comics that I plan on selling over the next year or so.  I am close to retirement and would like to try to maximize any profit I can from my collection. 

:popcorn: 

11 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:
21 minutes ago, DRNemesis said:

Is this the best avenue to sell books.  I have quite a few GA comics that I plan on selling over the next year or so.  I am close to retirement and would like to try to maximize any profit I can from my collection. 

:popcorn: 

42 PMs in the last 10 min

12 minutes ago, DRNemesis said:

I had most of my collection graded by a competitor company years ago because they were cheaper so don't know if I can sell them on this website.   Here is a list of what I have with unprofessionally graded books in parenthesis my grade. 

No, you cannot. I am sure there are boardies that can help you with a rough value of the books listed and give you proper guidance.

@Ricksneatstuff

Also, take note of the envelope top right corner of your page. More than likely you have received a few private messages.

Best of luck !

Edited by Gotham Kid