• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,073 posts in this topic

Oh yes, the sharks definitely smell blood, LOL!  There would be three options that I can think of.

1. eBay; 10% + 2.9% in fees, no worries about who graded it.

2.  Heritage; 20% to you and same to the buyer.  Again, NP with the grading company.

3.  Here, but you would have to de-slab the books.  No fee of any kind if you accepted mailed payment, or 2.9% for PayPal.

The decision might be, would you come out farther ahead by de-slabbing and selling raw with no fee, or using an auction site that will take a percentage.  You have enough books that you could test each of the waters with a few to start with.

2 hours ago, fifties said:

Oh yes, the sharks definitely smell blood, LOL!  There would be three options that I can think of.

2.  Heritage; 20% to you and same to the buyer.  Again, NP with the grading company.

3.  Here, but you would have to de-slab the books.  No fee of any kind if you accepted mailed payment, or 2.9% for PayPal.

The decision might be, would you come out farther ahead by de-slabbing and selling raw with no fee, or using an auction site that will take a percentage.  You have enough books that you could test each of the waters with a few to start with.

With the books he listed I would think he could negotiate a better deal with Heritage on sellers fees.

4 hours ago, fifties said:

I would like to thank all who have responded to my question.  I am considering selling the collection as a whole and am looking at all the auction websites and will consider what offers I get and take the best one. I don't want to go through the hassle of taking out all my books from the graded cases as I would be afraid of damaging them so will leave that up to ever gets the books. Just as a side note I did take my collection into a local comic book store who offered me $3000.  I promptly left with my books in tow.  I may be old but I am not feeble minded.  

11 minutes ago, DRNemesis said:

Just as a side note I did take my collection into a local comic book store who offered me $3000.  I promptly left with my books in tow.  I may be old but I am not feeble minded.  

Seriously ? :eek:

Just your Captain America Comics 3 5.5 alone is probably worth 50K+ (if it is an unrestored copy)

https://reececomics.com/product/captain-america-comics-3-cgc-5-0-cr-ow-pages/

Edited by Gotham Kid

11 minutes ago, DRNemesis said:

I would like to thank all who have responded to my question.  I am considering selling the collection as a whole and am looking at all the auction websites and will consider what offers I get and take the best one. I don't want to go through the hassle of taking out all my books from the graded cases as I would be afraid of damaging them so will leave that up to ever gets the books. Just as a side note I did take my collection into a local comic book store who offered me $3000.  I promptly left with my books in tow.  I may be old but I am not feeble minded.  

Calling Dr. Bedrock!

13 minutes ago, DRNemesis said:

What store?  (So we can run him out of the business.). Total creep looking to take advantage. 

Edited by MustEatBrains

1 hour ago, Gotham Kid said:
1 hour ago, DRNemesis said:

Just as a side note I did take my collection into a local comic book store who offered me $3000.  I promptly left with my books in tow.  I may be old but I am not feeble minded.  

Seriously ? :eek:

Just your Captain America Comics 3 5.5 alone is probably worth 50K+ (if it is an unrestored copy)

https://reececomics.com/product/captain-america-comics-3-cgc-5-0-cr-ow-pages/

Heck, even if it's in RESTORED CGC 5.5 graded condition, a book like Cap 3 would still bring $24K in an open auction:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-3-timely-1941-cgc-apparent-fn-55-slight-b-1-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/7212-92066.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Looks like he was trying to offer you even less than half of condition guide of $6,500 for this one book alone with his $3K offer.  (tsk)  :censored:

1 hour ago, MustEatBrains said:
1 hour ago, DRNemesis said:

What store?  (So we can run him out of the business.). Total creep looking to take advantage. 

Did he claim it was a steal of a deal for you since it was 50% more than what he had to pay for the entire 20,000 Mile High collection some 40+ years ago?  lol

4 hours ago, batman_fan said:

With the books he listed I would think he could negotiate a better deal with Heritage on sellers fees.

Yes.  Definitely 0% on seller's commissions (Heritage would offer that off the bat), and should be able to negotiate a rebate on BP.

But keep in mind that these aren't CGC graded books, so assuming they're not PGX but the other competitor, bidders will probably bid at a step down from the CGC grade.  If PGX, bigger discounts would need to be factored in.

But even then, certainly worth more than $3k and still a very decent collection that Heritage (or any of the other auction houses) would compete for pretty aggressively.

7 hours ago, fifties said:

Well, let's not forget both CC and CL with total auction fees of 10% each since it looks like the usage of a credit card would not be possible here.  (thumbsu

As for Heritage, unless the fees are negotiated away, the buyer's premium is actually also paid by you as the consignor since HA gets to keep the BP.  :gossip: 

54 minutes ago, tth2 said:

But keep in mind that these aren't CGC graded books, so assuming they're not PGX but the other competitor, bidders will probably bid at a step down from the CGC grade.  If PGX, bigger discounts would need to be factored in.

or Heritage or whatever auction house he chooses can have the books graded by CGC. Don't they have discount rates ?

Costs subtracted from payout but maybe worthwhile.

Edited by Gotham Kid

1 minute ago, Gotham Kid said:

or Heritage or whatever auction house he chooses can have the books graded by CGC. Don't they have discount rates ?

Costs subtracted from payout but maybe worthwhile.

.... those are definitely Auction books. If they're PGX, they may as well be raw, unfortunately. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like he was aiming for 'Piece of S-it of the month' award with his $3K offer.  (tsk)  :censored:

Edited just now by Gotham Kid

If the books were graded already, then it would be obvious that the owner knew they had value.... a 3K offer would be blatantly insulting and disrespectful. In a perfect world, it would be legal to take a tire iron to someone like that LCS owner... so they could receive the "home training" that they were shorted on when they were younger. GOD BLESS...

8 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

If the books were graded already, then it would be obvious that the owner knew they had value.... a 3K offer would be blatantly insulting and disrespectful. In a perfect world, it would be legal to take a tire iron to someone like that LCS owner... so they could receive the "home training" that they were shorted on when they were younger.

like your thinking

The LCS dou.chebag saw an elderly gentlemen walk in his store with some choice comics and thought "this is my lucky day"

Edited by Gotham Kid

42 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
48 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

If the books were graded already, then it would be obvious that the owner knew they had value.... a 3K offer would be blatantly insulting and disrespectful. In a perfect world, it would be legal to take a tire iron to someone like that LCS owner... so they could receive the "home training" that they were shorted on when they were younger.

like your thinking

The LCS dou.chebag saw an elderly gentlemen walk in his store with some choice comics and thought "this is my lucky day"

... oh, I forgot....

It should be recorded so the whole World can see his fall.... and hear the lamentations of his women.... GOD BLESS....

... I know a few LCS owners, and most of them feel that their offers are almost always just a starting point for the next guy.... a free appraisal service.