• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Lukesaurus said:

No for the Nintendo Playstation prototype . Quote messed up .:bigsmile:

Like I mentioned before, $500k definitely likely with upside.  People who don’t collect old electronics don’t know what collectors are paying for this stuff.

An Apple 1 computer sold for almost $1 million.

10 minutes ago, Dark Knight said:

I wonder what the video game collectors think or other hobbyists outside of comics when we pay $$$ for old paper. They'd think we're crazy too lol

You’re right. I don’t get collecting video games at alllllllll, but I can’t judge because others surely think the same about me and comics.

I do regret selling my N64 stuff for practically nothing years ago, just to declutter my house. Zelda, goldeneye, super Mario...that system was a huge jump from the previous systems at the time and I have fond memories. My regret isn’t from a collection perspective though, sometimes I wish I could play it!

Edited by Callaway29

1 hour ago, Dark Knight said:

I wonder what the video game collectors think or other hobbyists outside of comics when we pay $$$ for old paper. They'd think we're crazy too lol

No I mean I get that. I guess it just feels crazy because I don't recall when this shift occurred. It just seemed like overnight, and by overnight I mean the last 2-3 years the graded gaming market has exploded. I'm sure it was well before then, but just seems like I'm hearing about it now. And I don't understand why some go for soo much more than others.

57 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

No I mean I get that. I guess it just feels crazy because I don't recall when this shift occurred. It just seemed like overnight, and by overnight I mean the last 2-3 years the graded gaming market has exploded. I'm sure it was well before then, but just seems like I'm hearing about it now. And I don't understand why some go for soo much more than others.

I'm getting a little bit better in understanding the market. I have also shifting some interests into video game collecting as well as comics. There a few long time comic collectors who are doing the same thing and have been on this for years.

I think the market just exploded a few years ago, dunno how or what got it going into this new gear. Video game collecting has been going on for maybe 10 or so years with a just a few then started getting bigger and bigger as it gets more publicized.  Of course the most popular collector Dain Anderson who founded the Nintendo Age website and recently sold his pedigreed collection in Heritage (Carolina Collection) and a few other venues.

2 hours ago, Callaway29 said:

You’re right. I don’t get collecting video games at alllllllll, but I can’t judge because others surely think the same about me and comics.

I do regret selling my N64 stuff for practically nothing years ago, just to declutter my house. Zelda, goldeneye, super Mario...that system was a huge jump from the previous systems at the time and I have fond memories. My regret isn’t from a collection perspective though, sometimes I wish I could play it!

If those games were sealed, they're selling for crazy money now. Gotta know too which are first editions and the correct types of factory seals.

1 minute ago, Dark Knight said:

I'm getting a little bit better in understanding the market. I have also shifting some interests into video game collecting as well as comics. There a few long time comic collectors who are doing the same thing and have been on this for years.

I think the market just exploded a few years ago, dunno how or what got it going into this new gear. Video game collecting has been going on for maybe 10 or so years with a just a few then started getting bigger and bigger as it gets more publicized.  Of course the most popular collector Dain Anderson who founded the Nintendo Age website and recently sold his pedigreed collection in Heritage (Carolina Collection) and a few other venues.

That's where this scares me.  Comics have a 50+ year history as a collectible and have shown a fairly linear growth pattern.  Video games, although having a large fan base, don't have the history to justify 6-7 figure prices. 

1 minute ago, buttock said:

That's where this scares me.  Comics have a 50+ year history as a collectible and have shown a fairly linear growth pattern.  Video games, although having a large fan base, don't have the history to justify 6-7 figure prices. 

Yeah I get what you're saying. But I think it's the new generation of collectors who just want to relive their glory days as kids back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I for one loved playing video games as a kid, actually owned almost all the 80s and 90s consoles between myself and my brothers. So it's pretty cool to see that video games are gaining some respect.

On 2/13/2020 at 2:47 PM, Gotham Kid said:
On 2/13/2020 at 6:12 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

This is already one of the top bid items. :tonofbricks:

9A43AD1A-2666-46E0-BBC5-6B573D03AC56.png

WTF !!?? 174K already for that thing.

Well, if you though that $174K was already looney bin O.o  :screwy: time, then how about $420K with still another 20 days to go!!!  :whatthe:  :whatthe:

On 2/13/2020 at 6:43 AM, Gotham Kid said:

I wouldn't pay $31 for it

Any bets that the gamer collectors are also saying exactly the same thing when it comes to copies of Detective Comics 31. hm   :takeit:

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:

There are currently 3 blue copies of Cap1 being auctioned.

ComicLink 1 7.5 and 1 5.0, Heritage 1 7.0

That can't be smart. (shrug)

Right. But I don’t think there’s any sharing of book listings beforehand by the auction houses. I’m sure Heritage and Clink, after the books got listed, looked up at each other and said “ you, too?”. 

I assume Clink advised their 2 Cap sellers beforehand of the double listing, and they decided the grades were far enough apart that they agreed to the timing.

regardless of how we got to this place, I’m guessing gps will be down. In March of 2019, in a CC auction, a 7.0 went for $243k. 

http://www.comicconnect.com/bookDetail.php?id=706816   

I look back now and think that may have been a tad high. I hope I’m wrong, but I think especially now with 3 great books hitting at once, the 7.0 won’t come close to that price 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

23 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Yeah I get what you're saying. But I think it's the new generation of collectors who just want to relive their glory days as kids back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s. I for one loved playing video games as a kid, actually owned almost all the 80s and 90s consoles between myself and my brothers. So it's pretty cool to see that video games are gaining some respect.

Video game collecting:  the aspect I can't completely get my mind around is: unlike encapsulated comic books and baseball cards, comic art, cels, fine art, etc., where the joy comes from what you can see, the joy from a video game generally comes from playing it, not the packaging.  

Suspense #3:  if you ignore the tape pull, it's a gorgeous copy with nothing else marring the cover image.  

Sup #1: did anyone ever determine the defects to reconcile the scans with the grade?  

21 hours ago, LearnedHand said:

Video game collecting:  the aspect I can't completely get my mind around is: unlike encapsulated comic books and baseball cards, comic art, cels, fine art, etc., where the joy comes from what you can see, the joy from a video game generally comes from playing it, not the packaging.  

Its not hard to understand.   If you want to read action 1, you buy a $2 reprint.   If you want to own the real thing, you want to own the real thing.

If you want to play a game, hell, download the free rom.   If you want the real thing, then you're paying collector prices if the condition or rarity is there.

Game were meant to be played, comics meant to be read, trading cards meant to go in your bike spokes, blah blah.   Doesn't stop anybody from buying them as collectibles if they so desire.

Heck if you collect OA, and if I follow the logic of your example, I should be just as happy printing out an OA scan from heritage as opposed to owning the real thing.   It just doesn't work that way in any hobby.

I mean, a comic book was never meant to provide “joy” from an “encapsulated” cover.  It was meant to provide joy from reading the story. But people enjoy the encapsulated covers anyways.    I think that what this should be teaching you is that you may not completely understand your own collecting impulses and behaviour because you are more like the guy who buys a game to look at it ...than you realize ;)

Edited by Bronty

On 2/14/2020 at 3:06 PM, Dark Knight said:

I'll have to rib Dain about how popular he is ;)

Great guy but lost interest.

FWIW he had already sold his collection prior to it being sold on heritage (it was consigned by the buyer).

Edited by Bronty