• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

On 2/14/2020 at 3:10 PM, buttock said:

That's where this scares me.  Comics have a 50+ year history as a collectible and have shown a fairly linear growth pattern.  Video games, although having a large fan base, don't have the history to justify 6-7 figure prices. 

I think because of the fact that games collecting has only recently started to have the kind of infrastructure that's taken for granted in comics (heritage, clink, easier to understand item specifics, grading co that actually markets, news articles, public data points, etc etc), people have this idea that its "new" but people have been collecting for 25+ years.   Nearly 20 myself.   

Another thing you have to remember is that at the time, these things were expensive, so anything vintage remaining sealed is a real anomaly.    Nobody, but nobody was paying $50 of 1987 money to buy a game and not open it, especially since there really was no collecting scene at the time or even thoughts they would ever become valuable.   How many truly unread 1963 marvels do you come across?   Not so many right?

(I’m oversimplifying to keep the discussion brief). 

Edited by Bronty

On 2/15/2020 at 2:01 AM, lou_fine said:

Any bets that the gamer collectors are also saying exactly the same thing when it comes to copies of Detective Comics 31. hm   :takeit:

I'm not a fan of this particular item either; I don't find it interesting.   However, the bid is the bid and Palmer Luckey was public on twitter about being the current high bidder.   Google him if the name isn't familiar.

9 minutes ago, Bronty said:

I'm not a fan of this particular item either; I don't find it interesting.   However, the bid is the bid and Palmer Luckey was public on twitter about being the current high bidder.   Google him if the name isn't familiar.

420K is pocket change for the guy.

On 2/15/2020 at 3:59 AM, Gotham Kid said:

superboy 1 is the only one I think on that list that hasn't moved much at all over the last 15 yrs

Not really if you check out that copy of New Comics 1 which they have listed for $8,250.  :gossip:

Especially since I just checked the Heritage archives and a CGC 7.0 graded copy sold in May of 2005 for $9,487.50 with the exact same copy reselling in August of 2010 for $4,780.  :tonofbricks:

Well, technically you are correct since a drop of 50% over 5 years is rather a sizeable move.  hm  (thumbsu

8 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
On 2/15/2020 at 12:59 PM, Gotham Kid said:

superboy 1 is the only one I think on that list that hasn't moved much at all over the last 15 yrs

Not really if you check out that copy of New Comics 1 which they have listed for $8,250.  :gossip:

I wasn't sure about all of them on the list. Superboy1 I was pretty sure of.

Edited by Gotham Kid

On 2/15/2020 at 7:42 AM, Dark Knight said:
On 2/15/2020 at 3:49 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Sad Sack 6 going for the same money as Tec 31

Who's sack are they talking about? hm

Yes indeed, can you imagine anybody wanting to pay the same amount of money for a 'Tec 31 when they can acquire this beauty of a book here instead:

Golden Age (1938-1955):Humor, Sad Sack Comics #6 File Copy (Harvey, 1950) CGC NM/MT 9.8 Off-white pages....

Don't you love the 'Tec 31-like "appreciation" on the price for this book here as the exact same graded copy sold for $1,782.50 way back in 2003, then flipped for $1,434 in 2006, before being "wisely" held and resold for $1,792.50 in 2016, and then finally flipped once again for $1,434 a year later in 2017.  hm   :tonofbricks:

No wonder why poor Sad Sack is crying on the cover of this book here.  :cry:

Edited by lou_fine

9 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:
15 minutes ago, lou_fine said:
On 2/15/2020 at 3:59 AM, Gotham Kid said:

I wasn't sure about all of them on the list. Superboy1 I was pretty sure of.

Are you really trying to tell us that New Comics 1 is not on your short bucket list of books to acquire before they come to cart you away?  :whatthe:   lol

2 hours ago, Gotham Kid said:
3 hours ago, Bronty said:

420K is pocket change for the guy.

Any chance that Ivy and Halperin are also very well aware of this fact and *ahem* taking appropriate action to ensure that lucky Palmer wins this lot at a "good" price and receives the headlines that he seems to crave for?  doh!  lol

Edited by lou_fine

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Any chance that Ivy and Halperin are also very well aware of this fact and *ahem* taking appropriate action to ensure that lucky Palmer wins this lot at a "good" price and receives the headlines that he seems to crave for?  doh!  lol

I don't think so.   I'm not a conspiracy theorist for one, and for two, the bid was briefly one increment higher than it is now.    That suggests to me that HA cancelled a dodgy bid.

(In other words, someone probably is shilling him up, but it ain't HA lol )

Edited by Bronty

2 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Yes indeed, can you imagine anybody wanting to pay the same amount of money for a 'Tec 31 when they can acquire this beauty of a book here instead:

Don't you love the 'Tec 31-like "appreciation" on the price for this book here as the exact same graded copy sold for $1,782.50 way back in 2003, then flipped for $1,434 in 2006, before being "wisely" held and resold for $1,792.50 in 2016, and then finally flipped once again for $1,434 a year later in 2017.  hm   :tonofbricks:

No wonder why poor Sad Sack is crying on the cover of this book here.  :cry:

It's pretty obvious from reading the text with the article that the #6 is a typo and they meant #1.

But it was still a horrible investment.

The 9.4 copy HA sold in 2006 (when top guide was $900) for $10,755 resold in 2014 for $4.481 (when top guide had risen to $3,300). The 9.0 copy they offered last year couldn't even reach 75% of guide. Makes an investment in Adventure #72 look like you are buying APPL.

9 hours ago, Bronty said:

Nobody, but nobody was paying $50 of 1987 money to buy a game and not open it, especially since there really was no collecting scene at the time or even thoughts they would ever become valuable. 

I agree with you, it's one thing to buy a double of a 10 cent or 12 cent book, even back in those days, and put it away without being read, and another thing completely to pay $50 in 1987 (which was a lot of money) for a game that would never be played.

So are these unopened games really games purchased by retail buyers who were wealthy and farsighted enough to buy them purely for collecting purposes?  Or are these the equivalent of file copies that were never sold but are coming out of unsold inventory, which is why they were never opened?   

And how do we know that they're not counterfeit, if they're not opened and played to check for authenticity?

4 hours ago, tth2 said:

I agree with you, it's one thing to buy a double of a 10 cent or 12 cent book, even back in those days, and put it away without being read, and another thing completely to pay $50 in 1987 (which was a lot of money) for a game that would never be played.

So are these unopened games really games purchased by retail buyers who were wealthy and farsighted enough to buy them purely for collecting purposes?  Or are these the equivalent of file copies that were never sold but are coming out of unsold inventory, which is why they were never opened?   

And how do we know that they're not counterfeit, if they're not opened and played to check for authenticity?

There was for all intents and purposes literally zero kept sealed with forethought.    What happened is that from time to time a store would close down.   Whatever unsold inventory there was is all there is for sealed stock today.    As a result, titles from specific periods sealed (such as that 100k Mario) are impossible because when that game came out, it was the hottest toy around and that version only existed that way for a few months.    We can date the time of release surprisingly accurately for the changes in identifying marks on the box over time.    Asking for the ones from the very beginning of the sale period sealed is a monumental ask because there was no unsold inventory in that period, and as I’ve just described only unsold stock remains.

So... more like file copies, but not really because that’s unsold stock at the publisher level.   This is unsold stock at the retail level. 

As for counterfeiting, like everything, there are all kinds of tells.  I can explain more by pm if it interests you. 

Edited by Bronty

Changing the subject a bit, did anyone watch the Heritage weekly auction? 

an Archie 1, blue label 3.0, went for only $20k, including buyer premium. Doesn’t that seem low? 

I think it’s low. With the other big auctions it must have just flown under the radar. 

or do you think it’s the dried glue?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/archie-comics-1-archie-1942-cgc-gd-vg-30-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122007-15078.s

0871AC19-1050-47DC-AD83-BAA1FD8C646C.jpeg

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

46 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Changing the subject a bit, did anyone watch the Heritage weekly auction? 

an Archie 1, blue label 3.0, went for only $20k, including buyer premium. Doesn’t that seem low? 

I think it’s low. With the other big auctions it must have just flown under the radar. 

or do you think it’s the dried glue?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/humor/archie-comics-1-archie-1942-cgc-gd-vg-30-off-white-to-white-pages/a/122007-15078.s

0871AC19-1050-47DC-AD83-BAA1FD8C646C.jpeg

I will probably get slammed but from my observation Archies have slowed a bit.