• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,077 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, lou_fine said:

As for strong sales, I thought the 2 Duck books did alright in the end as they both went for over guide which has not been the norm recently.  Especially with respect to the Four-Color 9 which moved up from something like $15K up to $32K pre-juice during the live portion of the auction.  :applause:

Ducks are back!

9.4 FC 9 with only C-OW pages went for $38,400 w/BP! 

7 hours ago, LDarkseid1 said:
7 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Consignors taking a bath that's for sure...  I dunno what kind of a deal they got with Heritage on their consignments, but thinking mostly 15-20% seller's fee?

Well the BP is 20%, but I believe the sellers fee is 7%. I could be mistaken though.

I doubt any of the consignors of these books is paying full freight, unless they're very stupid.

5 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

That poor 9.8 Church copy of Police #13.

That's the 5th time Heritage has "sold" it in the last 3 years, and it's gone from $8,962 to $5,497 to $4,560 to $4,080 to $3,840 today.

Plastic Man, Blackhawk and Doll Man seem to be in permanent Recycle Hell on Heritage.

Prices are being affected 2 fold

the universal internet sales tax is like another 7 to in my case 10% add on the final price.

so a book that records as being sold for 20k Cost the buyer 22k. This is still relatively new price adjustment and the final sales prices Are registering as lower then what’s actually paid.

add to that the current global economic crisis.

national economic crisis in the past have not affected comic sales too much but a Global one, especially based on panic is a different story

2 hours ago, tth2 said:
9 hours ago, Crowzilla said:

Honestly, even the Fantasy #15 at #795K is underwhelming.

Jeez you guys have huge expectations these days!

+1

Yes, I thought there was absolutely nothing at all wrong with the $795K price for the AF 15 since it seem to fall in a nice positive trajectory from the last CGC 9.4 sale at only $454.1K and also in line with the CGC 9.2 copy which sold for $598K last year and the other earlier CGC 9.0's copies in the $400K range before that.  If you do a straight up comparison to the last CGC 9.4 sale at $454.1K, that's a percentage return of 75% over 4 years which is certainly nothing to sniff at.  (thumbsu  :takeit:

Unless you was comparing it to the CGC 9.6 graded copy which sold for $1.1M back in 2011which would be a mistake since I viewed that particular sale to be much more of an outlier and quite a few years ahead of its time.  Probably also had a lot to do with Fishler's long and deep connections in the marketplace and hence being able to target a buyer who he knew would be willing to pony up that kind of dough for the book at the time.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

2 hours ago, tth2 said:
9 hours ago, lou_fine said:

As for strong sales, I thought the 2 Duck books did alright in the end as they both went for over guide which has not been the norm recently.  Especially with respect to the Four-Color 9 which moved up from something like $15K up to $32K pre-juice during the live portion of the auction.  :applause:

Ducks are back!

9.4 FC 9 with only C-OW pages went for $38,400 w/BP! 

I happen to have some free time this morning, so ended up watching some of the auction action on an off and on basis.

What a contrast between the auction action for the AF 15 as compared to the Donald Duck FC 9.  When it came time for the AF 15 lot, the auctioneer proudly annouced to the attendees that this was the highlight of the entire auction which all of them must have been waiting for.  I then felt embarrased for the poor guy as he stood there like a deer caught in headlights waiting for somebody else (please, please, anybody please!!) to raise the bid above the opening hammer bid of $662.5K.  At first, I found it rather funny that he didn't even know what the next bid increment level was before finally coming up with the $675K figure.  Unfortunately, after standing there for a couple of minutes trying to squeeze a bid (any bid) out of somebody (anybody please), he eventually gave up and declared the book sold at the opening bid of $662.5 and simply moved onto the next lot.  :(

Contrast that with the DD FC9 which started off at something like $15K and nursed it up to almost the $20K mark and then stated that once it hit this price point the increments would be much higher.  You could see that big smile crossed his face once it did hit the $20K mark and after that, he seem to become quite animated and excited as he kept motioning with his right hand after every bid increment.  It was almost like he was egging the telephone bidder to go up just that one more bid increment until it finally hit the $32K hammer price, and at which point he seem so enthused that I thought he was going to do a little jig around the auction floor before moving onto the next lot.  lol  :whee:

Edited by lou_fine

26 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, I thought there was absolutely nothing at all wrong with the $795K price for the AF 15 since it seem to fall in a nice positive trajectory from the last CGC 9.4 sale at only $454.1K and also in line with the CGC 9.2 copy which sold for $598K last year and the other earlier CGC 9.0's copies in the $400K range before that.  If you do a straight up comparison to the last CGC 9.4 sale at $454.1K, that's a percentage return of 75% over 4 years which is certainly nothing to sniff at

I was more comparing it to the $705K reported sale in 2017.

So we've got 9.0 at $395K, and a 9.2 at $598K, I thought maybe a 9.4 might also show a 50% bump over the 9.2 price, or at least more than 15% over a sale from 3 years ago.

On the surface, yes it's still great. There are only a handful of books that have auctioned for more money.

I think we are going to see many of the bigger items that sold today resurface sooner than they normally would, but there were some other strong results. Tim already mentioned Ducks, and what about the Forbidden Worlds #1 that brought 6x guide, and Phantom Lady #17 still showing big returns.

6 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
43 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

+1

Yes, I thought there was absolutely nothing at all wrong with the $795K price for the AF 15 since it seem to fall in a nice positive trajectory from the last CGC 9.4 sale at only $454.1K and also in line with the CGC 9.2 copy which sold for $598K last year and the other earlier CGC 9.0's copies in the $400K range before that.  If you do a straight up comparison to the last CGC 9.4 sale at $454.1K, that's a percentage return of 75% over 4 years which is certainly nothing to sniff at

I was more comparing it to the $705K reported sale in 2017.

Not sure what sale you are referring to in 2017 for $705K in terms of either the CGC grade or the venue it was sold on?  ???

I assume you must be referring to a CL auction result which has absolutely no auction archive of any type at all.  :mad:  :censored:

2 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Not sure what sale you are referring to in 2017 for $705K in terms of either the CGC grade or the venue it was sold on?  ???

I assume you must be referring to a CL auction result which has absolutely no auction archive of any type at all.  :mad:  :censored:

it's on GPA, a 9.4 for $705K (a couple of months after the 9.0 sale for $395K, so it makes sense). I'm unsure of the venue.

37 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:

it's on GPA, a 9.4 for $705K (a couple of months after the 9.0 sale for $395K, so it makes sense). I'm unsure of the venue.

I guess a private sale that was reported? Wasn’t on any auction site.

19 minutes ago, Crowzilla said:
23 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Well, if it was 2017, that definitely makes sense since that was the Spring of 2017 when Fishler started the big fire under the AF 15's with 3 record setting sales (i.e  a CGC 4.5 graded copy for a shade over $37K, a much talked about CGC 5.0 graded copy for $57K, and finally a CGC 9.0 graded copy for $395K) in the March 2017 CC Event Auction.  (thumbsu

12 hours ago, dem1138 said:
13 hours ago, Dark Knight said:

Yep, lackluster performances for both books.  Bat 1 didn't have good color on it, probably why it sold for cheap.  AS #8, well as I've said before was due for a price correction and wasn't surprised by the sale price.  So many copies out there to choose from.

Cmon, the Bat #1 took a bath and there's no amount of excuses you can make around it.  Sure if your argument on a soft FF #1 7.0 at 26K is that it had an awful Stan Lee sig on top sure but this was a nice 4.0 with ow/w pages.  You would've had 10 buyers lined up at that price throwing that money at you a year ago.

Agree

12 hours ago, Bat34 said:

I thought you might be there...I followed the camera feed online until I bowed out of the Billy Wright Tec 44.  Even that was slightly softer than expected.

I figured you'd have a go at it. Sorry you didn't win.

The Central Valley copy however is nicer. Also the Billy Wright copy has the second 'moon' on the cover.

Edited by Gotham Kid