• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

7,948 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Chicago Boy said:

He can’t / won’t split  up that thing of beauty. It’s too cool like it is.  What pages do u need ? 

I’m pretty sure he’d sell the centerfold and not Batman story pages for the right price. Only the 3 Batman pages are attached in the book. I need pages 1, 2, 3, 4, centerfold, 29 and 30.

Surprised to see some of the "sky is falling" comments.  I bid on approx. 12 GA and SA books (mostly GA) and in almost all cases, the overall sale price exceeded the GPA data for the high watermark for the given book in the given grade.  In some cases by a decent margin.

I think we often look at record high reported sale prices for a few specific keys and if the latest sale prices for those keys in similar grade are lower, we extrapolate to assume the deviation applies broadly.  

I also think it's wise to put sales prices into context.  It's no secret that when a given key has several very high-grade copies come to market in a relatively short time-span, sale prices aren't always linear.  The overlay is that some economic experts keep hinting at a possible upcoming economic downturn.  This tends to breed conservatism when it comes to putting big bucks into things like comic books - so possibly fewer bidders vying for the same material.      

In terms of the All Winners #6: on the basis of the assigned grade, the CGC4.5 should have sold for more than the CGC 3.5.  Anyone looking at the books; however, would see the CGC4.5 had been - very apparently - taken apart and put back together, red dots all over the cover, obvious wear, and rusty staples.  Eye appeal was nowhere near that of the CGC3.5 - in my opinion.     

Edited by LearnedHand

I’ve not seen any discussion, apart from people wondering what possible defect could bring it down to a 3.5. It presented much higher. I don’t think anyone bought the grader notes. We were stumped. This discussion all took place before the final hammer. 

i thought it went for a very strong price and attributed it to its outstanding eye appeal

On 3/15/2020 at 7:40 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I’ve not seen any discussion, apart from people wondering what possible defect could bring it down to a 3.5. It presented much higher. I don’t think anyone bought the grader notes. We were stumped. This discussion all took place before the final hammer. 

i thought it went for a very strong price and attributed it to its outstanding eye appeal

Thanks!

4 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

not a particularly 'fantastic' lineup

Put that crack pipe down !  :baiting:

For my collecting tastes, this one is going to kill my ADD.  Fortunitely I spent a bunch in their last auction and I am quite happy about it :banana:

2 minutes ago, Gotham Kid said:

not a particularly 'fantastic' lineup

1 minute ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

+1

True. But maybe because they won't be 3 months or so apart anymore,  and monthly (or bi monthly )now?

Not enough time to put together a stellar line up ( not to mention material still going to a weekly Sunday auction as well).

Overkill maybe? Especially in light of the current world matter? 

Stuff I think is awesome in this one (and I am going to exclude Original Artwork which is really strong)

1.  Early Sandman Adventures, 40, 44, and 51 in decent grade.  Also issues 61 and 73

2.  Two Batman 1s ( both on the poopier side though)

3.  Some nice Caps

4.  Billy Wright Detective 18

5.  Some nice Human Torch including two #1s

6.  Peanuts #1

7.  Superman 1 and 14

8.  So many high grade Disneys I can hardly focus :ohnoez:

I would add to the list some outstanding  high grade WD comics and stories books, and I also like the Tech #18. I just put some low ball bids on some super cool GA.

Edited by Mmehdy

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I just noticed that the CGC 9.8 Church Gang Busters #1 in this auction was originally sold as a CGC 9.4 in 2005, then a CGC 9.6 in 2014. 

Man I love this hobby!  

lol

1 hour ago, tth2 said:

I just noticed that the CGC 9.8 Church Gang Busters #1 in this auction was originally sold as a CGC 9.4 in 2005, then a CGC 9.6 in 2014. 

Man I love this hobby!  

Don't forget the 2008 and 2012 sales.

I wonder how exactly Overstreet decided that this book has gone up $100 in top guide over the last 5 years, when there is no other copy graded over 9.0 (and it last reported sold back in 2006, maybe riding the coat tails of the first MH sale).

On 4/8/2020 at 7:12 PM, batman_fan said:

Stuff I think is awesome in this one (and I am going to exclude Original Artwork which is really strong)

1.  Early Sandman Adventures, 40, 44, and 51 in decent grade.  Also issues 61 and 73

2.  Two Batman 1s ( both on the poopier side though)

3.  Some nice Caps

4.  Billy Wright Detective 18

5.  Some nice Human Torch including two #1s

6.  Peanuts #1

7.  Superman 1 and 14

8.  So many high grade Disneys I can hardly focus :ohnoez:

those are fantastic Disneys :x