• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage's Next Event Auction has started posting books !
31 31

8,074 posts in this topic

13 minutes ago, dem1138 said:

You paid for the notes and the notes said 16 pages had been trimmed?  Why wasn't that noted on the label?  Because 144K makes sense based on the notes on the label because everything is removable but nowhere is the pages being trimmed noted so bidders likely bid based on the label notes and will probably be in for quite a surprise (unfortunately).

Here are the notes 

8CB7F862-4F7B-4143-8CD0-65C22DBBDA06.png

1 hour ago, dem1138 said:

Ouch.  Question - could you tear more of the corners off on those 16 pages and then they're not trimmed?

+1

With the huge discount that is usually applied to books that are trimmed, this seems to be a big time error on the part of CGC in terms of not indicating the trimming right on the label of the slab.  :facepalm:

In fact, enough of an error that should in theory allow the buyer of the book to return if they so wish, I would imagine.  hm  :wishluck:

Edited by lou_fine

3 hours ago, dem1138 said:

You paid for the notes and the notes said 16 pages had been trimmed?  Why wasn't that noted on the label?  Because 144K makes sense based on the notes on the label because everything is removable but nowhere is the pages being trimmed noted so bidders likely bid based on the label notes and will probably be in for quite a surprise (unfortunately).

$15 for grader notes seems like $15 well spent.  For me my threshold for grader notes as a requirement is anything $1,000 and more

4 hours ago, Spiderturtle said:

$15 for grader notes seems like $15 well spent.  For me my threshold for grader notes as a requirement is anything $1,000 and more

For sure. $12 for elite members. $ well spent not only because of price but restored on top of that. Maybe they bought the notes. Who knows. Head scratcher. 

The Heritage book that caught my eye Thursday was a minor player, the Wings 11 Church. According to GPA, that Mile High sold in May 2012 for $4050. It was eventually resubmitted and scored a 9.8. And when it returned to the auction block eight years on, it sold for $3840.

I want to think that it's the rare pedigree Golden Age book -- and a 9.8 MH to boot -- that's actually lost value in the bull market of the last eight years. But maybe not.

Screen Shot 2020-05-01 at 8.36.04 AM.png

45 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

That’s tomorrow. Right now it’s at $10k with the vig. 

first time it sold, it went for $11k. I don’t think we know why that sale, which was just a coupla months ago, did not complete

The 11k price you're thinking of was for a brittle page last year.  This one hammered more like 15k iirc

8 minutes ago, bluechip said:

The 11k price you're thinking of was for a brittle page last year.  This one hammered more like 15k iirc

Pages 1,2 and 3 sold March 8 2020.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-page-1-only-dc-1939-cgc/a/7224-96088.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-page-3-only-dc-1939-cgc/a/7224-96090.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Page 1 went for $13k and 2 and 3 for $11k each.   For some reason the page 2 sale no longer shows up in archives, and is instead reoffered tomorrow.  You can compare the unusual cuts of the pages and know that tomorrow's page comes from the same source as the ones that sold in March

Page quality is cream to offwhite

21 hours ago, lou_fine said:

That seem to be a lower than expected price for a CGC 2.5 graded copy of Action 13.  hm

That is until you read the auction description and you kind of wonder how it was even able to acheive a grade of CGC 2.5 in the first place?  

Although it does sound like an upgrade with a different color label is possible if you ever do decide to attach all of the detached pages using vintage staples.  (shrug)

I thought it was low, but who knows - I sold my fugly-cover 4.0 with cream-O/W PQ a couple years ago for more than double that , and i was not happy. I eventually accepted the price when the Cdn $$ conversion kicked in, but I was hoping for well north of 50K USD and it didn't happen. I guess fugly and brittleness seem to be as taboo as PLOD these days on mega keys ...

Edited by fishbone

1 hour ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Pages 1,2 and 3 sold March 8 2020.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-page-1-only-dc-1939-cgc/a/7224-96088.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/detective-comics-27-page-3-only-dc-1939-cgc/a/7224-96090.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Page 1 went for $13k and 2 and 3 for $11k each.   For some reason the page 2 sale no longer shows up in archives, and is instead reoffered tomorrow.  You can compare the unusual cuts of the pages and know that tomorrow's page comes from the same source as the ones that sold in March

Page quality is cream to offwhite

Now I am confused.  I remember the 3 pages being sold.  As you note your post only includes links for pages 1 and 3 but not for page 2.   So I tried to look it up and could not find it, either.   Not even in my bid history, and I know I bid on that page.   I distinctly recall noting that the 2nd page went for more than the other pages, but cannot verify it. 

Edited by bluechip

I thought prices were a little weak on many books, but the Marvel Mystery 71 shocked me. Somebody really wanted that particular copy. I don't think that result will be duplicated any time soon.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-71-timely-1946-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7229-92058.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

1 hour ago, jimbo_7071 said:

I thought prices were a little weak on many books, but the Marvel Mystery 71 shocked me. Somebody really wanted that particular copy. I don't think that result will be duplicated any time soon.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/superhero/marvel-mystery-comics-71-timely-1946-cgc-vf-nm-90-white-pages/a/7229-92058.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

The only thing that explains that price is someone with a serious mummy fetish.